Author Topic: Exile 2 - US version hack  (Read 956 times)

pixeljunkie

Exile 2 - US version hack
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:34:08 AM »
Has anyone talked about UNdoing what working designs did with this game? In interviews they make it sound like they change 1 number to royally ruin the game. It would be cool if there was a fixed ISO of it. Just thinking out loud, it's probably come up before but I couldn't find anything in search.

Medic_wheat

Re: Exile 2 - US version hack
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:21 AM »
How dare you say WD can do wrong.

This does not boad well for my WD fapping thread.

:-k

pixeljunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:27 AM »

they dropped the ball on Exile 2, but I love them as well.

Mzo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:52:51 AM »

They ruined Silhouette Mirage in the US.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:17:18 AM »

they dropped the ball on Exile 2, but I love them as well.

I have heard similar. Have yet to play it. Recently picked the gane uo but need to get the first game. Then I'll plaky through the two

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »
I've always wondered if you can do disc swaps between the JP and US version to get the English translation with Japanese action areas
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

BlueBMW

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »
DragonmasterDan said he did just that punk.  Swap in the JP version to do the parts that were super hard in the US version, then switch back for the cutscenes / text areas.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Medic_wheat

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:35:46 AM »
You'll probably never reach the end though, at least not without cheating and hex editing the game for infinite health (ironically the only way most US gamers ever saw the boss was through the cover art). For you see, Working Designs made a mistake when tweaking the parameters. As Vic explained on NeoGAF: "On Exile 2 it was an issue of limited number of modifications because we weren't doing the game reprogramming, Telenet was. It was a small number of tries. And on the second-to last time, we had it *almost* right, so we added like +1 to the monsters, but it was like that scene with the fat guy in Meaning of Life where the waiter gives him that one wafer and he explodes. That +1 exceeded some limit internally and made the monsters exponentially harder rather than incrementally. Since it was our last "fix" and we had production discs, I thought we were screwed and had made an unwinnable game. Fortunately, with some time and special strategies, we found out you could finish it. We made one of the hardest games ever - by accident."

Vic also gave some tips: "The biggest one is not to try to assault the worst monsters. Just let them hit you in the back, which will throw you backwards (which is really forward since your back is turned). It's an easy way to clear impossible rooms with those dragons that shoot lightning."

pixeljunkie

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
DragonmasterDan said he did just that punk.  Swap in the JP version to do the parts that were super hard in the US version, then switch back for the cutscenes / text areas.

I must try this!

galam

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
Vic

esteban

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:07 PM »

I must try this!

Also, search the forums for a post by nodtveidt/Old_Rover, he explained how to beat the game (a nice FAQ, not sure he ever distributed outside of the forums).

I don't use FAQ/videos to help beat games, except for one crappy game (Turrican on TG-16), which Rover was 100% spot-on about. I think that game is a turd.
  |    | 

Keith Courage

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »
I beat the US version of this game when I was 16 the old fashioned way. Practice.

InfraMan

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »
I beat the US version of this game when I was 16 the old fashioned way. Practice.

Yep, it's pretty much just a matter of memorization on the harder bits. And some occasional grinding.

Most of the levels are pretty short, up until the last one.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »
I beat this game, & I suck at games!  If I can do it, anyone can!  The hardest was that damn tower ofcoarse.  I think I basically memorized where enemies would show up, & use lightning from Fahkyle IIRC, that, & Rumi, just don't get hit, or you're dead meat!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:33 AM »

Vic did lots of things wrong.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles