Author Topic: AVGN Movie Bomb  (Read 828 times)

Otaking

AVGN Movie Bomb
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »
I was looking around to see if there are any reviews of the new AVGN movie and saw this review from RetroGamer3, he absolutely trashes the movie

I haven't watched any RetroGamer3 videos in years, I vaguely recall he was a big AVGN fan.
I quickly scanned his old videos and found this video.

Punch

Re: AVGN Movie Bomb
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
ET's atari being the worst game ever is like saying Plan 9 from Outer Space is the worst movie ever. Which is not far from the truth but their awfulness gets hyped too goddamn much.
I can't see a movie based on "LOL ET IS SHIT" being good, but I'll still give a try to the AVGN movie someday.

MrFulci

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
ET on the 2600 wasn't a bad game, it was just a mess. Falling in pits got old after a while. I don't think I ever beat it. "Haunted House", on the other hand, I eventually defeated.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »
ET was a terrible game, but I would rather play that game than watch this movie again.  It is a complete drag of a flick.  I was so disappointed...

HailingTheThings

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »
I liked the big, stupid monster thing, Darth WhateverThef*ck. Overall, though, I wanted more from that movie. Still it felt almost worth the $5 I spent to rent it from Vimeo.

Hoping that the next flick James does is an awesome horror themed one.

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »
ET on the 2600 wasn't a bad game, it was just a mess. Falling in pits got old after a while. I don't think I ever beat it. "Haunted House", on the other hand, I eventually defeated.

The thing with those pits is that they're oddly done.  You fall down them if an edge of your guy touches them instead of if you actually go over them.  There is actually a rom hacked version of this that has been updated to fix a lot of the "bugs" that exist in the game.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SuperDeadite

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »
Haven't seen the movie, but from the few previews of his I watched, I assumed the focus was on doing lots of old-school practical effects, the E.T. attachment was just there for the sake of all AVGN works needing to be linked to a game of some kind.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Medic_wheat

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
I liked the big, stupid monster thing, Darth WhateverThef*ck. Overall, though, I wanted more from that movie. Still it felt almost worth the $5 I spent to rent it from Vimeo.

I can't picture you spending $5 on non obey things.

Tell the truth..you torrented this didn't you

HailingTheThings

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »

I can't picture you spending $5 on non obey things.

Tell the truth..you torrented this didn't you

lol

I really spent an old fashioned fiver on a 24hr rental of this flick, I'd been looking forward to it for what seemed like forever.

I will admit that before doing so I kept thinking "Now, do I really wanna use this $5 for a movie I can only watch for one whole day and then it goes poof? Hmmm...could use it towards finding a manual for Deep Blue instead...hmmm."

SamIAm

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
I haven't watched the whole thing. I'll reserve judgement until I see the end, but there were a few jokes that I would have edited out, absolutely.

TR0N

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:11 PM »
I was looking around to see if there are any reviews of the new AVGN movie and saw this review from RetroGamer3, he absolutely trashes the movie

I haven't watched any RetroGamer3 videos in years, I vaguely recall he was a big AVGN fan.
I quickly scanned his old videos and found this video.

Funny enough the nostalgia critic like it though he did sum it up it's for the fans.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
I guess you have approach this movie with absolute 0 expectations, other than utterly trash non-stop..lol
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Medic_wheat

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 01:43:39 AM »
I think this is proof why he is "best" as a youtube show typically running 12 minutes per video.

Some people despite desire to be more really are just one note.

The character of the nerd is unappealing. James as himself is much more engaging and interesting.

SamIAm

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 02:41:17 AM »
Agreed.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 03:33:25 AM »
The problem is when he tries to get too cinematic in his reviews he takes the focus away from what he does well which is critique games in a humorous manner and it emphasizes what he does poorly, which is over the top special effects and people in costumes swearing and using gross-out humor.

I'm didn't have high expectations for the AVGN movie in the first place as while I think James is a very talented film critic, I think he's not quite as good of a comedian or film-maker based on the AVGN /Board James/ You Know What's BS shorts.
--DragonmasterDan