Author Topic: Remember when bars were places of social interaction?  (Read 536 times)

bob

Remember when bars were places of social interaction?
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:34:15 PM »
I am sitting at a bar in a New Hampshire hotel, there are 7 people here. Everybody is on their ipad or phone.

(Including me).  :lol:

esteban

Re: Remember when bars were places of social interaction?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

I am sitting at a bar in a New Hampshire hotel, there are 7 people here. Everybody is on their ipad or phone.

(Including me).  :lol:

hahahahahshashs. Sad.

TrĂ¼e storie.
  |    | 

bob

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »
#8 just walked in with a laptop. LOL

esteban

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »

#8 just walked in with a laptop. LOL

Damn. Of course.
  |    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
I always hated bars as a place to "hang out".  Music is too loud so I could never hear people, drinks are overpriced, and the smoke killed my breathing and made me smell like an ashtray.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

MrFulci

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
I don't own a phone, outside my home or car. If someone wants me, they need to beep me, similar to Clark Griswold. (Really, even now. f*ck a leash. it's luxury, not a necessity).

My TG-16 never had a car phone attachment...
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
that's modern times for you.

jtucci31

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
Are you hitting up the local Tinder again?

Jibbajaba

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
To be fair, you're at a *hotel* bar. 

bartre

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
all depends on the neighborhood.
in my area there are 4 general kinds of bars.
1 - dance clubs/bars - you can't hear shit, but you don't want to hear anything these people have to say. chances are very good you'll get laid unless you're just awful with chicks.
2 - college bars - these are the places where drinks are 3x as expensive as anywhere else, the music sucks and is too loud to speak over, but not enough to bother the more social people, and everyone is convinced that they have life all figured out.
3 - pubs - people here are generally pretty chill, the bars are dark, the music varies and is never anything you struggle to talk over, the bartender is always knowledgeable about at least one thing (beer, whiskey, cocktails, etc.), and they are almost never crowded.
4 - old man bars - they play classic rock and country music, football or baseball on TV, the drinks are cheap, but not much of a selection, and they generally open as soon as you can legally serve (6AM here)

there are prime examples of #3 and 4 within a 2 minute walk of my house, and i love them.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:27 AM »

Exactly.  Such bars have never been a hot bed for interaction; they're for adulterers and bored traveling salesmen killing time.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

bob

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 02:36:28 AM »

Exactly.  Such bars have never been a hot bed for interaction; they're for adulterers and bored traveling salesmen killing time.

haha.  true.  but i should clarify, its more like a full irish pub.  it wasnt like a traditional hotel bar.
you can see how bored i was to even create this thread.

synbiosfan

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:47:32 AM »
Music is too loud so I could never hear people, drinks are overpriced, and the smoke killed my breathing and made me smell like an ashtray.

All the reasons you listed reminds me of the good old days :P

MrBroadway

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 05:35:18 AM »
This, but also, talk to the bartender. They're usually happy to chat about something unless they too are busy on their phones (I've seen that, unfortunately, at too many bars I've been to, mostly by younger bartenders).

roflmao

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
Interesting.  I hardly ever go to bars, but a couple of weeks ago I was in Indy on a business trip and spent my evenings watching the Royals play at the hotel bar. One night I chit-chatted all evening with one of the bartenders.  She was really cute.  We were poking fun at some guy who was at the bar trying to pick up some hot blonde.  They were both pretty wasted. The next night I sparked up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me and it turns out he lives a couple towns away from me! I later saw him at the KC Airport after flying home.  Small world! Very few, if any, people were glued to their phones. 

When I do head to bars, it's usually #s 3 & 4 from Bartre's list that I prefer. :)