Author Topic: TG-16/Retro stuff for gifting suggestions?  (Read 408 times)

johnnykonami

TG-16/Retro stuff for gifting suggestions?
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
My birthday is coming up, and my girlfriend is asking what to get me.  I have no idea, but I know she doesn't wanna buy used games or really anything she'd have to ebay, sign up for a forum, etc. to get.  So I'm trying to give her a couple more ideas.

Can anyone suggest some cool TG-16/PCE stuff you can buy from online stores out there?  Or other retro gaming things that might make a good gift?

Thanks guys!

Black Tiger

Re: TG-16/Retro stuff for gifting suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:23:44 AM »
If you don't have a PCE setup, you should get one. Then there will always be lots of cheap or reasonably priced games people can buy you as gifts
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
If she doesn't want to give you games (which aren't any more difficult to purchase than anything else, but whatever floats her boat), the only OBEY related item I can think of is the Ys Legacy DVDs or the Ys Art Book; non-OBEY related gaming things aren't gifts, they're punishments, so I have no suggestions for FEKA/Nintendon't.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

mitsuman

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:47:45 AM »

Then you can buy the games you want. If she is dead set on getting you a gift, ask for something small you want/need (shirt, socks, perfume for men, whatever else you are into), then get the rest in cash.

Mzo

johnnykonami

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
If you don't have a PCE setup, you should get one. Then there will always be lots of cheap or reasonably priced games people can buy you as gifts

I do want one of these one day, but it falls into the same category as explained below for now.

If she doesn't want to give you games (which aren't any more difficult to purchase than anything else, but whatever floats her boat), the only OBEY related item I can think of is the Ys Legacy DVDs or the Ys Art Book; non-OBEY related gaming things aren't gifts, they're punishments, so I have no suggestions for FEKA/Nintendon't.  :mrgreen:

Thanks, books/cds like this are exactly the kind of suggestions I wanted.  I already have PC Engine Gamer Volume One on my list, for example.  The problem with used games is that she doesn't know anything about them and I'm extremely picky about their condition and price, and she knows it.  I would opt for something shrinkwrapped first if possible, but if not I really only want complete items.  So she has to know what is supposed to come with it and hope that it is in good enough condition for me to be happy with it.  She wouldn't know that a loose turbochip is considered incomplete, for example - that it also comes with a jewel case and manual.  And that's just most of the time!  Some games were released as only the card, and it's stuff like that that confuses her.  So I can't really give her a list of games I want and expect her to do the legwork.

It really just boils down to let me hunt for the games I want on my own.  What would be helpful, if anyone knows of any - would be reputable online stores that directly sell older games.  If I could link her the product on my Amazon wishlist, she wouldn't have to do anything special and I would have picked it out myself.

Then you can buy the games you want. If she is dead set on getting you a gift, ask for something small you want/need (shirt, socks, perfume for men, whatever else you are into), then get the rest in cash.

Ah, another one of the unspoken birthday rules, I'm afraid.  Nobody here really likes to give cash, because we all have our own cash so it's kinda silly.  I did try asking for some necessity items and she just told me that was dumb and that we could just buy those next time at the store ("that's not a birthday gift!")
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/turbo-everdrive-deluxe.html

I was considering asking for a few of these for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  If you have anymore I'm all ears.

esteban

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
PC Engine Gamer = Excellent Gift

Also, support homebrew community (available, new, from the developers):

Insanity = EG
Pyramid Plunder = EG
www.aetherbyte.com

Implode = EG
Hyper Nova Blast = EG
Meteor Blaster = EG
www.mindrec.com
  |    | 

johnnykonami

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »
PC Engine Gamer = Excellent Gift

Also, support homebrew community (available, new, from the developers):

Insanity = EG
Pyramid Plunder = EG
www.aetherbyte.com

Implode = EG
Hyper Nova Blast = EG
Meteor Blaster = EG
www.mindrec.com

I love newly released retro titles!  I knew about these and also about Adventure II for the Atari 5200, and stuff like Pier Solar.  Anybody know of a webpage that covers these?

PikachuWarrior

HailingTheThings

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
Just ask her to make you something? That'd be sweet.

johnnykonami

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »

She's made things for me before, and I still have them all.  There just isn't enough time for that, though.  Believe me, I've already said "You don't have to get me anything."  But she will either way, so I might as well try and help her out.  That said, I'm pretty happy and don't really need more stuff right now.  She just specifically asked me to update my wishlist, so I did my best.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »

She's made things for me before, and I still have them all.  There just isn't enough time for that, though.  Believe me, I've already said "You don't have to get me anything."  But she will either way, so I might as well try and help her out.  That said, I'm pretty happy and don't really need more stuff right now.  She just specifically asked me to update my wishlist, so I did my best.

I see, I see, sounds like a real keeper. Cheers!

johnnykonami

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Thanks, she is indeed!  And, thanks for all the suggestions, guys.