Author Topic: Railshooters  (Read 989 times)

Medic_wheat

Railshooters
« on: October 07, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
Similarly to my light gun thread lets talk railshooters.

Your sin and punishments (N64/Wii)
And much much more. 

For me the seperation from light gun and railshooters is the lack of a light gun

FYI I consider Wii games to be iffy.  Sone may not think the wii remote as a hybrid controler light gun.  So it's your call on wii games being light gun or railshooter

VenomMacbeth

Re: Railshooters
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »
Rez is a phenomenal rail shooter. Lots of people like to call Silpheed a rail shooter, but I don't really think it qualifies...which raises the question, what exactly defines a rail shooter?  Could games like After Burner or Night Striker be considered rail shooters?
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

BlueBMW

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »
Awww no light gun games?   I was going to say Elemental Gearbolt... :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

cjameslv

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (A favorite on my Sega Saturn)
A quick review

Overview:Whats really nice is it has an widescreen option so playing on a big hdtv at night is amazing. You can level up your dragon and unlike the first one this one will let you change directions and follow different paths. Replay value is good if you find yourself only going back to this title every few months (as i do).

Tip: If you memorize each area and then do saves before each level you can get your dragon stronger faster. You won't have to track enemy's as much, resulting in faster kills and the enemy's get stronger which is a reward considering the game is not a very difficult one.

Music & Graphics: The music is decent and i rate it a 7. I find it goes with the flow but not as smooth as the first one.  Not quite the feel like say when you play Wipeout (psone version includes crystal method, which i wish was on saturn version). Graphics are great. I rate it a 9, (i use an s-video cord, not super easy to find) and really enjoy this game on a 60" hdtv. There is alot of color depth and thought put into the design.

Note: When i play other games like magic knight rayearth, i use a 32" crt with s-video since alot of the games don't have an option for 16:9.

Overall i rate this game 8/10 and definitely recommend it!

Thanks

Update* Was so into writing the lil review forgot the money shot:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:36:45 PM by cjameslv »

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
I like panzer dragoon,  sin and punishment and the afterburner games if that is considered a rail shooter

HailingTheThings

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
Omega Boost is pretty dope, at least, I remember it being so. Been a while since I played it. IIRC some of the same people responsible for the Panzer Dragoon games were behind this one as well.

BlueBMW

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
One word... Laseractive... hehe

Specifically I like Hyperion and the two Vajra games.  Though Pyramid Patrol and Space Berserker arent too bad.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:52 AM »

Specifically I like Hyperion and the two Vajra games.  Though Pyramid Patrol and Space Berserker arent too bad.

Can we make a list of all the rail-shooters on LA PCE LaserDisc?

Actually, any game that fits into the broad "shooter" category would be nice.

Maybe I'll have to make a new topic.
  |    | 

ccovell

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »
Gamera 2000 on Playstation.

It's awesome.  The music is awesome.  The cutscene acting is awesome.  And the graphics are pretty good too.

cjameslv

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 03:05:09 AM »

Can we make a list of all the rail-shooters on LA PCE LaserDisc?

Actually, any game that fits into the broad "shooter" category would be nice.

Maybe I'll have to make a new topic.

esteban, shooters aka SHMUPS (my fav catagory) would need its own topic as they are completely different from railshooters.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:16 AM »
Play Rail Chase, nat!  PLAY RAILCHASE!!!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:03 AM »
I think pretty much every "shooter" type game on the Laseractive is a rail shooter.  There is no light gun support, everything is done with a controller controlled crosshair.

On the PC Engine PAC there really is just Vajra and Vajra 2.

For the Sega PAC there is Hyperion, Space Berserker, Pyramid Patrol, and I guess High Roller Battle

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 06:08:49 AM »
The best railshooter ever is Star Fox 64
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 06:10:01 AM »
Ahhh... I had not considered Star Fox 64... I suppose it is mostly a rail shooter (except for the all range mode parts)

Definitely excellent!

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
Panorama Cotton is also very worthy of mention.  It's such an odd game...I wonder why Sunsoft chose the Mega Drive for it instead of the SFC, which I think have pulled off the neat graphical effects better. 
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!