Author Topic: I Don't Believe Europeans Play Video Games  (Read 273 times)

TheClash603

I Don't Believe Europeans Play Video Games
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
My girlfriend and I just did a 4 city trip in Europe; Warsaw, Berlin, Paris, and Athens.  One of the things I was most excited for on this trip was to check out the video games in these countries.  Of course I wanted to see the retro games, but at the very least going to the equivalent of Gamestop in each country to see the selection was something I was looking forward to.  However, after going to each of these places, I am pretty sure that Europeans don't play games!

In the U.S., you can't go more than a few blocks without seeing a Gamestop.  On top of that, in my town there is at least 10 retro game stores and other pawn shop type places that have a decent selection of old games.  I figured it would be somewhat similar in these other cities, but I was very wrong.

In Warsaw I did not see a single video game.  There were no game stores, electronics stores, or even games available in any of the department type stores I went into.  In the mall there was no Gamestop or equivalent.  I don't believe anyone in Warsaw has video games.

In Berlin I did go into what I believe was the equivalent of a Best Buy, called Saturn.  The store had a pretty limited selection of games and no special editions or anything that I couldn't find in the U.S.  When I visited a town about 45 minutes outside of Berlin called Oranienburg (home to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp and Nazi concentration camp headquarters...) there was the only retro video game store I saw on the whole trip.  The store called Spielkultur had mostly Playstation and newer stuff, with a small selection of 8-bit and 16-bit games (no obey).  Since I felt I had to buy something, I picked up Sonic Chaos and Laser Ghost for Master System at a not great 10 Euro each, especially since both games were missing manuals.  The one thing I noticed was that the games were in shitty condition (like the gross flea market condition) and almost all of them were incomplete.  I would say worse condition than U.S. game stores, which I was surprised by.

In Paris there were no retro stores at all and I found only one electronic store (Best Buy-esque) with any video games.  This store carried only the top 50 games or so and had little selection, so I wasn't there for long.  The only cool "video game" I picked up was the 3DS Louvre museum guide retail edition, which can only be bought at the Louvre.  Cool trivia fact, this is the only region free game on the 3DS.  As a Laseractive fan, I have a soft sport for edutainment.

In Athens I didn't see one video game, much like Warsaw.  I don't believe people in Athens have any gaming at all.

Overall, I was a bit surprised by the lack of video games I saw in each of these countries.  I didn't see much video game advertising either, which was also different from the U.S.  As my only other international trip (excluding Canada) was Tokyo, obviously this was in stark contrast to what I had seen before.  Based on what I have read online, I get the impression that the UK may have more widespread console gaming, but I don't know this first hand.

Has anyone else been to Europe and agree with these sentiments?  Any of your European forum members want to chime in and maybe let me know I was looking in the wrong places?  I probably walked 100 miles over my two week trip and I was all over these cities (not just in the tourist spots), so I figured there would've been more to see.  I guess Europeans don't actually play video games.

98pacecar

Re: I Don't Believe Europeans Play Video Games
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Paris has a number of really nice retro and modern shops surrounding the Republique station on the Blvd Voltaire. There's even an offshoot of the Trader chain that started in Tokyo. They have a lot of Japanese games, but their prices are very high. Higher than ebay most of the time. My personal favorite in that area is Maxxi Games. Kind of a dungeon feel to it, but they have a ton of nice games. There's also a small chain called Retro Game Shop that I believe is off of the Rue Trosseau. He had a lot of unusual stuff, but again, priced kinda high. I'd say I've visited probably 10-12 stores of various types in Paris, likely split 50-50 between retro and modern. One shop was even dedicated to modding hardware, including chips (this was in the mid 2000s and I think it's since closed).

I can't speak for Berlin or Warsaw, but I did find a very nice place in Prague called Hry-Presto and a small but interesting shop in Budapest called Konzolestudio. London used to have a few, but it's been several years since I've had a chance to visit them and I think they might be gone. I've discovered one in Munich called NipponDreams that I plan to visit the next time I'm there.

Truthfully, I'd put the district in Paris a second only to Tokyo in terms of best places I've found to get the really good stuff. It's not as cool as Tokyo by any stretch, but I've never been anyplace else that had so many stores in a single area. I just wish their prices were more comparable and that I could trust to buy AES games there. They always have a nice selection, but I suspect most if not all are boots.

Edit: had the wrong name for the shop in Munich.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:49:38 AM by 98pacecar »

esteban

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »
I've been to London, its suburbs, and Paris. I didn't really see any video game stores (retro or otherwise). Of course, I wasn't looking, either.

One thing that comes to mind: rent is awfully expensive in urban metropolitan areas and it would be tough to make enough profit from a retro store.

|    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »
I live in Berlin, and the largest retro game store (Games Tunnel) closed its doors in the mid 00s. What is left are some small stores with games in rather sorry condition. Most German retro game stores are now selling online through eBay, Amazon and their own web shops. Even there, the games are often overpriced regarding the condition. I had better luck buying games online from the US, UK and Japan.

For non-retro stuff, Saturn at the  Alexanderplatz and Media Markt in the Alexa center are recommended. But keep an eye on their pricing. If you're good at negotiating, you can make deals if you show them evidence where the products of your interest are available at a lower price. Most shopping malls of the 'Arcaden' chain also hosts Gamestop stores, but the oldest systems they still stock are PS2 games.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:20:11 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

SuperPlay

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:37:12 AM »
I live in the UK and I have noticed a local decline in shops that stock 90s < games.  The majority of retro sales seems to be via Evilbay ;-) and as ClodBuster has noted chain stores mostly stock PS2 and later.

Retro Collect have a nice guide relating to independent retailers (UK Heavy!):

http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/the-ultimate-retro-gaming-store-locator-a-shop-list-with-map.html

A tour of some of these stores can be found on this tread:

http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/Collecting-Merch-Retro-Shops/

TheClash603

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:06:29 AM »
Thanks for some of the responses, it seems like perhaps I was correct that retro game stores just aren't as big of a thing in Europe as they are in the U.S.  Maybe it is because we have more space in our homes for this stuff, so our culture supports retro shops.

98pacecar does make me wish I had a working cell phone at the time of my visit because there does seem to be at least some dedicated stores in Paris.  The French collectors which pop up on this and other game sites would be supportive of this.  Next time I am out of the country I will suck it up and buy one of those prepaid international Sim Cards for my phone so I have better searching ability when I am walking around.

ctophil

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
Well, I wouldn't say America has a lot of Retro shops.  It depends on where you go.  Like in my town, the closest retro store was like 60 miles away, and they also closed down several years ago.  There was also a Play 'N Trade in my town that only stayed open for like 2 years.  These days, I would have to drive at least 2 - 3 hours for a retro store in Atlanta.  I live in a decent size city.  Sure, there are like 5 Gamestops.  But you gonna have to depend on Ebay for anything retro. 

Opethian

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
they don't you are right wb clash!

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me