Author Topic: Am I in the cool kids club now?  (Read 489 times)

Desh

Am I in the cool kids club now?
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:08:22 AM »
Well.... I was out on a call for work and passed by an estate sale at a huge house.  I had to stop when I finished my call.  I'm glad I did because I found this for $15.00.

Does anyone know more about these because I am older t.v. illiterate.  It's a big ass Wega that has s-video and component in.  It also has all of the original paperwork and remote for a mere $15.00.  I bought it but am not going to pick it up until tomorrow.  Other than powering it up I didn't have time to really look it over.  Any information you guys have on these big boys would be a big help.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Am I in the cool kids club now?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:16:35 AM »
It's heavy, so make sure you have a sturdy stand for it; and it's presumably HD, so no scanlines and therefor no light guns.  Beyond that, it's a tv and there's not much to know.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Desh

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 04:23:59 AM »
hope you don't like scanlines. :P  This is likely an early HD TV.  I have one, too, and it is absolutely gorgeous for retro gaming... but since it is capable of doing 1080i, you won't get those tasty scanlines like you see on PVMs or SDTV CRTs.  How big is it?

I believe it's 36" (read big ass).  I will have to check the model number when I pick it up.  Going off Wiki it doesn't appear that this one is a "hi-scan" model which would make it 480i.  Damn, I actually hope it's the lower res model I was hoping to dust off the light guns on this thing.  If not, Oh well, it will still be cool and I'll make a good home for it.

Desh

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
It's heavy, so make sure you have a sturdy stand for it; and it's presumably HD, so no scanlines and therefor no light guns.  Beyond that, it's a tv and there's not much to know.

Yeah my dad had a 36" Trinitron back in the day that was a bitch to get in and out of the house because of the weight.  That is one thing I will need find or modify an existing piece of furniture for is the weight.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:31:27 AM »

I believe it's 36" (read big ass).  I will have to check the model number when I pick it up.  Going off Wiki it doesn't appear that this one is a "hi-scan" model which would make it 480i.  Damn, I actually hope it's the lower res model I was hoping to dust off the light guns on this thing.  If not, Oh well, it will still be cool and I'll make a good home for it.

As long as you have the appropriate shelving for it, it should make an excellent retro gaming TV especially at that size.

As far as the progressive scan models go in the trinitron family, there are some newer component enabled "EDTVs" and I actually have an incredibly heavy Sony CRT HDTV in my garage that is too big and bulky for me to get into my house.

But it's a nice pickup and it's a far better experience to play your old games on a CRT than an LCD/LED/Plasma display. Get svideo cables for the systems you have that support it and you'll be living the high life.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »
Looks nice to me, like Dan said it could be an EDTV but the easiest way to tell will be once you get it hooked up. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

esteban

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
High life.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 07:57:39 AM »
High life.

Stop posting and give me your S.S. list!

esteban

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 08:00:53 AM »

High life.

Stop posting and give me your S.S. list!

It's so difficult. But I will comply.
  |    | 

Desh

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
I am in the cool kids club!  This beast is actually a 32" model number KV-32FS12.  This means it's the standard 480i set and this means scan lines!  Finally, I can dust off some light gun games. 

Nothing like pulling down your 42" HDTV and replacing it with a $15 estate sale T.V.

thesteve

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »
nice set

technozombie

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »
I have one of these in my storage shed, it is massive. Too massive in fact I'm using a 27" Philips because it is more manageable.

Desh

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
I have one of these in my storage shed, it is massive. Too massive in fact I'm using a 27" Philips because it is more manageable.

I had to use a utility cart to get it home and upstairs to my lait.  I dropped a nut lifting it onto the stand.  I almost forgot how heavy the trinitron based sets were.  Then I remembered helping my dad move around the 36" Trinitron he used to have. 

In any event it was worth it.  It's giving me the kick in the butt I needed to component mod my obey stuff and get moving on my Sega project with component out.

ElSeven

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »

waitwaitwait... what is that awesome combo famicom/nes i see in the left corner?
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 01:00:47 AM »
waitwaitwait... what is that awesome combo famicom/nes i see in the left corner?
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17777

But it's nobey, so you needn't worry about it.  :mrgreen: