Author Topic: 6 button pad and games  (Read 688 times)

grendelrt

6 button pad and games
« on: June 27, 2006, 03:40:46 AM »
Got a couple of questions. Firstly, is there a listing of 3 button and 6 button games? Can you use the 6 button pads with 3 button games with the same functionality as a 3 button pad? I noticed that the 3 button avenue pad has a selector that has select none and run, I am assuming this is to set the functionality of the 3rd button? So in that case you could use the 3rd button for other 2 button games? For example,set it to select, then when I am playing Kaze Kiri, the 3rd button would do his mist move instead of select? Any other things these are useful for? And finally what are the best 3 and 6 button pads?  I have heard of the NEC Avenue, Stock DUo RX pad, and a hori pad (which i have never seen personally).

Thanks =)

rolins

6 button pad and games
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 04:00:13 AM »
I think Steve666 started the same thread at the magicengine forum, but got lost during an update. I'm sure he's still got most of the info. Until then I know...

3-B:
Forgotten Worlds - third button rotates your satilite

6-B:
Street Fighter II
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
World Heroes
Art of Fighting

I remember reading somewhere that if you use a 3-B pad on Soldier Blade, or was it SSS?, the third button changes the speed instead of using select. Can't remember.

IMO the hori 6-B pads are the best btw, second would be the avenue pads.

Daedalus

6 button pad and games
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:03:06 AM »
I dont have a 3 button, but the six button has a switch on it to change it from 6 to two button.  From what I understand the switch on the three button is like what you said, turn on 3rd button or have a functioning select button, although I thought that the games that use 3 buttons are playable fine with a 2 button, and you have to use either the run or select button AS the third button.  As far as the pad the three most popular are the three you stated, The Hori is said to be the best, I like the RX pad myself, but my thumb on the pad starts to hurt after an hour of gaming or so.  I personally dont like the avenue 6, but its a great CHEAP way to get an extra 6 button pad.  The hori looks like a SNES pad and is very comfortable and repsonive.

grendelrt

6 button pad and games
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies. So I guess that means you cant use the bottom 3 buttons on a 6 button pad as a 3 button pad then? I was trying to see if I could get a 6 button pad and play Forgotten worlds like I had a 3 button pad.

grahf

6 button pad and games
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:01:35 AM »
Hey Daedalus, do you want to trade that RX pad for my 6 button Hori? :D

And grendelrt, the 6 button pads (at least my Hori Fighting Commander) does not work as a 3 button pad. Its either 2 or 6. If its in 2 button mode the other buttons are inoperable, and you must use the run button as the 3rd button again.

grendelrt

6 button pad and games
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:56:51 AM »
Ok thanks Grahf.

Black Tiger

6 button pad and games
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 04:32:31 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
I think Steve666 started the same thread at the magicengine forum, but got lost during an update. I'm sure he's still got most of the info. Until then I know...

3-B:
Forgotten Worlds - third button rotates your satilite

6-B:
Street Fighter II
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
World Heroes 2
Art of Fighting

Don't forget Kabuki Itouyoden, the best PCE fighting and 6 button game.

Also, Strip Fighter II requires the 6 button pad and I'm sure their are other 3 & 6 button games too.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

6 button pad and games
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 07:28:43 PM »
I had a nice list that was lost when magicengine forums got corrupted.

I didn't save a local copy, like an idiot.

1. In my list, I included information on how the extra buttons were used...

For example: Ys IV is 6-button compatible, for example. I used to have the details on what each key did. All I remember now is that the extra buttons were used as shortcuts for navigating menus and activating items (?)

2. I also included games that weren't traditionally thought of as "3-button compatible" ...

For example: Bloody Wolf can use the 3-button controller. Since the "SELECT" button is used for special weapons, it can be mapped to the third button.

I also included the shooters (i.e. GunHed / Blazing Lazers, SuperStar Soldier and others) that use "SELECT" to adjust speed of your ship.

Anyway, you get the idea.

If you're interested, I would be happy to start a new thread so we could re-claim this info. I'd keep updating the initial post as we got more info.
  |    | 

akamichi

6 button pad and games
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 12:51:09 AM »
Keep in mind that 3 button support (ie Ave Pad 3) is just a third button (III) that's mapped to either the select or run button.  It isn't a new separate button.  Basically it's there for games that would work better with 3 "normal" buttons like Forgotten Worlds.  It also works well with Barunba since it has the same controls as Forgotten Worlds.

To possibly add more confusion, the III button on 6 button pads is it's own button.  It's not mapped to select or run.  Ironically enough, the games that benefit from the Ave Pad 3 configuration (but not 6 button compatible) won't work as well on a Ave 6 pad.  On 6 button pads, you'd have a dead III button (in addition to IV, V, and VI) and still have to reach for select or run.  Pretty cumbersome.

More 6 button compat games:
Asuka 120% (this works well with 3 button mode too)
Flash Hiders

esteban

6 button pad and games
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
Keep in mind that 3 button support (ie Ave Pad 3) is just a third button (III) that's mapped to either the select or run button.  It isn't a new separate button.  Basically it's there for games that would work better with 3 "normal" buttons like Forgotten Worlds.  It also works well with Barunba since it has the same controls as Forgotten Worlds.

To possibly add more confusion, the III button on 6 button pads is it's own button.  It's not mapped to select or run.  Ironically enough, the games that benefit from the Ave Pad 3 configuration (but not 6 button compatible) won't work as well on a Ave 6 pad.  On 6 button pads, you'd have a dead III button (in addition to IV, V, and VI) and still have to reach for select or run.  Pretty cumbersome.

More 6 button compat games:
Asuka 120% (this works well with 3 button mode too)
Flash Hiders
Indeed, that's why I said "Since the "SELECT" button is used for special weapons, it can be mapped to the third button." :)

Although, off the top of my head, I can't remember if it's actually RUN or SELECT that's used in Bloody Wolf :)
  |    | 

grahf

6 button pad and games
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 02:06:56 AM »
Bloody Wolf uses select for pause, and run for the special weapons. Just played it the other day :)

vestcoat

6 button pad and games
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 05:44:29 AM »
i went through pcecp.com last year and made a list of every 6 button, mouse and MB128 compatible game

http://pcenginefx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=764&highlight=&sid=d7cbdd847664834c7ee304cd250dede6[

grendelrt

6 button pad and games
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:53 AM »
Great list thanks!

esteban

6 button pad and games
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 02:57:01 PM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"
i went through pcecp.com last year and made a list of every 6 button, mouse and MB128 compatible game

http://pcenginefx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=764&highlight=&sid=d7cbdd847664834c7ee304cd250dede6[
vestcoat, where have you been hiding? :)
  |    | 

Keranu

6 button pad and games
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »
Quote from: "stevek666"
vestcoat, where have you been hiding? :)

Fo real! :lol:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).