Author Topic: PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"  (Read 3614 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2014, 04:55:42 AM »
I guess my next observation should be obvious...but I am hoping these editions are the US releases?  I only say that, cause it appears he is using the Japanese art.

Dungeon Explorer 2 is the only one that appears to use the PCE version's artwork wholesale; Bonk 3 and Dynastic Hero are pretty heavily modified versions of the PCE art, and Godzilla is completely different.

Bonk 3 CD is US only anyway, and the other three would be cheaper to buy real PCE versions than these booties.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bernie

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2014, 05:09:10 AM »
I guess I should read everything before typing/speaking...  durp!!

"THE TURBO DUO EDITION
Included in our second boxset are four games, which all of you have certainly heard of before. While the BEST OF JAPAN boxset tried to replicate the look of the original japanese releases, we certainly tried to rectify what T.T.I did to those late Turbo Duo releases in the early to mid 90s.

All four titles feature new cover layouts (we got rid of the huge Duo Logo up front), full color manuals with fresh layouts (instead of the terribly designed black & white booklets), new CD designs and a sexy spine card for all that just can’t justify adding a game to their collection without one (of course you’re welcome to just get rid of them, if you don’t like them). We hope you like the results! All four games are the english-language US versions of course."

Jibbajaba

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2014, 07:19:22 AM »
Already submitted my request to buy this.  I know a lot of you guys are down on this guy, suggesting that it costs him $15 to produce these sets, but I think you're way off.  I bought the first set, and the quality is absolutely top-notch, and it's obvious that a lot of attention to detail and just plain Turbo-love went in to it.  I don't know or have anything to do with anything that this guy may or may not have done to the community, but this is a top-quality product and I have absolutely no problem paying $37.50 shipped per title.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 07:42:26 AM »
$15 is a lot closer to his actual cost than $150.  A standard jewel case with 8 page book and full color everything is known to cost about $1000 for 500*, so figure $8 for the games themselves; add $4 for the spines; add $3 for the coin (less if additional copies were made for future box sets); and add maybe $5 for the box (small quantity = pricey).  So about $20.

* - I know these are "limited" to 100 copies, I've no doubt that more were made for later sale.

seieienbu

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »
I'm glad that the artwork look visibly different.  I'd like to easily be able to tell repros at a glance.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
$15 is a lot closer to his actual cost than $150.  A standard jewel case with 8 page book and full color everything is known to cost about $1000 for 500*, so figure $8 for the games themselves; add $4 for the spines; add $3 for the coin (less if additional copies were made for future box sets); and add maybe $5 for the box (small quantity = pricey).  So about $20.

$20 + the time it took to design everything. 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »
$20 + the time it took to design everything. 

That's nothing compared to the time and effort that went into making the game.

Duo_R

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
Sold out?

November 13, 2014

Hiatus

The BEST OF JAPAN boxset is now on hiatus. Thanks to everybody for the support with our little project. The titles included in the boxset will be available seperately in 2015. If you’re interested in those or a possible re-issue of the box, make sure to be subscribed to our newsletter or just get in touch by email.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Jibbajaba

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
Sold out?

November 13, 2014

Hiatus

The BEST OF JAPAN boxset is now on hiatus. Thanks to everybody for the support with our little project. The titles included in the boxset will be available seperately in 2015. If you’re interested in those or a possible re-issue of the box, make sure to be subscribed to our newsletter or just get in touch by email.

You can e-mail him to make sure.  I got in on the second run.

Duo_R

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »
I didn't even know about the PC Engine Best collection he did. Did anyone snag that one too?
Add my YouTube channel:

Jibbajaba

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »
I didn't even know about the PC Engine Best collection he did. Did anyone snag that one too?

Is that not the same thing?  Thats what I got, and I thought that was his first product of this new line of booties that he's doing.

Duo_R

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
yeah looks like it, so it's pretty legit?

For the 2nd collection I mainly want Dungeon Explorer II so I can play the game translated. But the box set is templting.
Add my YouTube channel:

Punch

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
Seriously where the hell does these people press pirate discs professionally... every place I've searched for making a small project of mine required tons of documentation and proof you own the data on the disc, if it has music in it you had to provide details about the author and the rights transfer document for every single track.

SamIAm

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2014, 11:47:10 PM »
^^^If anyone ever figures out the answer to this (without blowing any necessary cover), I think it's going to usher in an era of much cheaper bootlegs.

Already submitted my request to buy this.  I know a lot of you guys are down on this guy, suggesting that it costs him $15 to produce these sets, but I think you're way off.  I bought the first set, and the quality is absolutely top-notch, and it's obvious that a lot of attention to detail and just plain Turbo-love went in to it.  I don't know or have anything to do with anything that this guy may or may not have done to the community, but this is a top-quality product and I have absolutely no problem paying $37.50 shipped per title.

Ripping off Bonknuts and his Megaman PCE project is 80% of the reason why I don't like this guy, and why I won't ever give him money. It's also why I won't ever make a translation of the paper manuals for any of my translation projects. The high prices more or less just seal the deal. To hell with this guy.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2014, 02:41:57 AM »
Seriously where the hell does these people press pirate discs professionally...
Just a clueless guess... China, Malaysia or Thailand?

Seriously, I don't know anything, but I see lots of bootlegs (movies, books, even plastic model kits) advertised on that  well know auction site coming from these countries.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no