Author Topic: PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"  (Read 3575 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2014, 01:17:02 AM »
I really just have no use for the other games.

You.  Suck.  :(
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

greedostick

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
I really just have no use for the other games.

You.  Suck.  :(

Yeah... You got me. I didn't realize Bonk 3 CD was included. I was thinking it was that wretched Kaze Kiri. Which you probably don't think is a much better statement on my part. But I just have no use for Godzilla. Owned it, hated it. And like I said I already have Dungeon Explorer 2. I may reconsider my ignorance and try and get on one of these possible second runs.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
What I didn't get is that it's not a turbografx release, as it has Japanese designs. Also, why reproduce games that are already out there? Why not Castlevania, Ys IV, XAK III, etc. I'd think that would be more interesting.

Mathius

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
What I didn't get is that it's not a turbografx release, as it has Japanese designs. Also, why reproduce games that are already out there? Why not Castlevania, Ys IV, XAK III, etc. I'd think that would be more interesting.

Konami would probably go after anyone re-releasing Castlevania. The jury is still out on Bonk 3 with them owning the Hudson brand.

What would be totally awesome would be full packaged translations of Anerth Fantasy Stories and the Legend of Xanadu games. I would pop a table raising boner if that ever happened.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Keith Courage

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »

I assume no one is making discs of these because the people who translated the games are against manufactured discs of any kind being made of them. 

Only time will tell if someone does it anyways.

Also, don't forget about the Startling odyssey II translation. Those 4 games together would make a nice box set. LOL
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:27:42 PM by Keith Courage »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2014, 01:55:56 AM »
What I didn't get is that it's not a turbografx release, as it has Japanese designs.

The paper may be using Japanese version art, but the games themselves (aka the important part) are the US versions.

Nemo

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
I love what Tobias is doing here, sorry Steve, and I wish more people would do something similar.  But the reason they don't is it's not profitable.  There used to be a company called TimeWalk games that made complete wth maps, top notch repros for Nes and SNES games.  Stuff like Earthbound Zero and Seiken Densetsu 3 in full English form.  No, you weren't paying for the Roms, those were  stolen from someone who hacked and stole them from the company who owns the rights to them.  You were paying for the quality and experience of playing a brand new 8 or 16-bit game again, which to a lot of people is priceless.  And even at about $70 a pop, these guys weren't quitting their dayjobs, and eventually went out of business, as I knew they would.  But I much rather pay $35 for a brand new, high quality repro of Dynastic Hero, than pay $800 for someone's 14th hand copy with Dorito fingerprints all over it. 

I knew when I bought the Sapphire he made years ago, it wasn't some secret stash Hudson put in a time vault. I'm not that stupid, I knew it was a repro, and he should have said as much, it was pointless to try to mislead people, and most of us would have bought it anyway. Same thing wth Rockman, that was shitty.  So I respect him now for branding the repros he does appropriately and making them easily distinguishable from the originals so people know.  And I encourage more of this because the gaming market has grown disgusting with people that are more concerned with collecting games for bragging rights than ever actually playing them.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
Not profitable?  Please.

You can argue that it's not worth the investment in time (which is certainly far less time than people put into fan sites or game translations), but there's NO question that he's turning a profit. 

esteban

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »

I love what Tobias is doing here, sorry Steve, and I wish more people would do something similar.  But the reason they don't is it's not profitable.  There used to be a company called TimeWalk games that made complete wth maps, top notch repros for Nes and SNES games.  Stuff like Earthbound Zero and Seiken Densetsu 3 in full English form.  No, you weren't paying for the Roms, those were  stolen from someone who hacked and stole them from the company who owns the rights to them.  You were paying for the quality and experience of playing a brand new 8 or 16-bit game again, which to a lot of people is priceless.  And even at about $70 a pop, these guys weren't quitting their dayjobs, and eventually went out of business, as I knew they would.  But I much rather pay $35 for a brand new, high quality repro of Dynastic Hero, than pay $800 for someone's 14th hand copy with Dorito fingerprints all over it. 

I knew when I bought the Sapphire he made years ago, it wasn't some secret stash Hudson put in a time vault. I'm not that stupid, I knew it was a repro, and he should have said as much, it was pointless to try to mislead people, and most of us would have bought it anyway. Same thing wth Rockman, that was shitty.  So I respect him now for branding the repros he does appropriately and making them easily distinguishable from the originals so people know.  And I encourage more of this because the gaming market has grown disgusting with people that are more concerned with collecting games for bragging rights than ever actually playing them.

You are arguing about a different issue than the one I raised.

Tobias lost my respect when he profited from Bonknuts PCE MegaMan. 

Tobias = 150% douchebag for doing that.

That is my criticism of Tobias.

ASIDE:
I question everyone's reading comprehension.

What Would Baby Jesus Do?

A: I would burn a CD-R (or ask someone to burn it for me) if I really wanted to play one of these unobtainable games. I would never pay $$$$$ for a game.

If Tobias hadn't profited from MegaMan PCE, I wouldn't have an axe to grind.

:)

|    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

You are arguing about a different issue than the one I raised.

Tobias lost my respect when he profited from Bonknuts PCE MegaMan. 

Tobias = 150% douchebag for doing that.

That is my criticism of Tobias.

ASIDE:
I question everyone's reading comprehension.

What Would Baby Jesus Do?

A: I would burn a CD-R (or ask someone to burn it for me) if I really wanted to play one of these unobtainable games. I would never pay $$$$$ for a game.

If Tobias hadn't profited from MegaMan PCE, I wouldn't have an axe to grind.

:)

Has Bonknuts ever called him out for a cut or something of the sort? I wonder if he talked to him if something could be worked out.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
If these were Hucard games for the price asked, then I'd say they're probably not profitable, but, seeing as how these are just CD's, I can't imagine there being no profit involved.

Nemo

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »
I'm saying not profitable in terms of making an actual living from it.  Certainly there would have to be some short term gain, or else why would anyone put in the time and effort to do all this instead of popping out generic CD-Rs? That's the whole thing about people criticizing him for his prices saying it can be done for less, well someone else step up and do it for less then.  I'm all for a competitive market. 

clackattack

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2014, 03:35:20 AM »
A "competitive market" is one thing... making profit on something that you either A.) dont own rights to or B.) have no legal consent to reproduce is borderline breaking the law. Guy by the name Brrraapp or something similar is doing the same thing here and on facebook with fan translated games like DracX, YsIV, and the nes2pce MegaMan. Says he can reproduce anything disc-based and will do so for 40$... and he still claims hes not making any profit even with a price tag like that 8/
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Nemo

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2014, 07:20:45 AM »
There are numerous intellectual property laws being broken by gamers everday, so we would have to get into an argument that one sin is worse than another. Fans hacking games and distributing them for free is just as illegal. Most people don't have an issue with it because no individual is "profiting" per se, but the money a consumer spends on a high quality repro is for the package, presentation, and experience itself. As countless others have said, the ROMs are widely available for nothing.  And to be fair, tens of thousands of people freesharing pirated games is far more damaging to a market and owners of said intellectual property than someone selling a few hundred repros. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2014, 07:46:09 AM »
There are numerous intellectual property laws being broken by gamers everday, so we would have to get into an argument that one sin is worse than another. Fans hacking games and distributing them for free is just as illegal. Most people don't have an issue with it because no individual is "profiting" per se, but the money a consumer spends on a high quality repro is for the package, presentation, and experience itself. As countless others have said, the ROMs are widely available for nothing.  And to be fair, tens of thousands of people freesharing pirated games is far more damaging to a market and owners of said intellectual property than someone selling a few hundred repros. 

Bootleggers profiting off of the original and not-so-original work of console enthusiast hombrewers and hackers is far more damaging to our community and game players in general than it is to the bottomline of corporations. Even if anyone's personal morality is so one dimensional that it aligns with laws or absolutes, it's not a matter of sympathizing or not with homebrewers/hackers. You will personally experience the void of projects that these people will no longer bust their asses over. The bootlegs of commercial games also makes it riskier for fans to work on hacks/translations or potentially do an at-cost pressing of something like the Golden Axe remake.

I can't really get into what my initial reaction was to this "Turbo" set, but it's seems to go against the whole point of previous bootlegs giving you 'the closest thing to the experience of having a complete copy of a "rarer" game'. I think that the real reason this set comes with custom covers is because he couldn't be bothered to spend any of the $10,000+ net profit from the first PCE Works set to actually buy original copies of the games (even to just resell them afterward) and he just downloaded some isos instead.

Considering that these don't have the novelty of even being reproductions and the custom Godzilla is still inferior to the PCE version and Bonk 3 is still inferior to the HuCards/roms, they should at least be sold individually for $20 - $30 tops.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum