Author Topic: PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"  (Read 3576 times)

Gentlegamer

Re: PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
I'm fairly "libertarian" when it comes to "intellectual propery," so I don't have a big issue with unauthorized reproductions, but I do share the concern with the profiting off the bedroom/hacker community. Like Black Tiger says, everyone will experience the void of projects when they are seen as slaving for free for some high profit bootlegger instead of contributing to the community.

I'd rather spend money on original work like Atlantean or Pier Solar (Genesis).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »
Yarr, I think Megaman is the only thing that really sticks in people's craw about Tobias; people would give a lot fewer f*cks if he'd stuck to commercial games only.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »

Yarr, I think Megaman is the only thing that really sticks in people's craw about Tobias; people would give a lot fewer f*cks if he'd stuck to commercial games only.

Exactly.

HAILING:
Yes, we have a thread (or two) here where Bonknuts expressed his "frustration" with Tobias.

The thread was created when Tobias announced PCE MegaMan was a available for sale, I reckon.

|    | 

sniper

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2014, 11:42:02 AM »
I ordered a set, can't wait to get it :D I don't own any of the four games, but all four were on my "if I ever win the lottery" list.

I did ask him how he wasn't getting sued, and he told me that NEC's own rights to release games on the platform are expired; why would they bother suing him for re-releasing games to a platform they can't even legally release them on?

That was his explanation anyway.

Bonknuts

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »
We should request Magical Chase.

Hacking a 4mb huey to fit within super cd ram limits is likely beyond his abilities, but that would be a nice one.  My dream would be to have both versions playable, selectable music between the original chippy tunes and the redbook ones from the sound track disc, and a small gallery showing side by side comparisons of the differences.  A robot can dream, right?

It's 4megabit? Probably pretty doable on SCD (with load times for stages). If anything, it can be hacked for the arcade card format fairly easily (most hucards can be). I started doing this type of stuff, but stopped when the Everdrive card came out. I figured no one would care at that point. Flashcard > CD-Rs for most gamers.

Bonknuts

« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
I love what Tobias is doing here, sorry Steve, and I wish more people would do something similar.  But the reason they don't is it's not profitable.  There used to be a company called TimeWalk games that made complete wth maps, top notch repros for Nes and SNES games.  Stuff like Earthbound Zero and Seiken Densetsu 3 in full English form.  No, you weren't paying for the Roms, those were  stolen from someone who hacked and stole them from the company who owns the rights to them.  You were paying for the quality and experience of playing a brand new 8 or 16-bit game again, which to a lot of people is priceless.  And even at about $70 a pop, these guys weren't quitting their dayjobs, and eventually went out of business, as I knew they would.  But I much rather pay $35 for a brand new, high quality repro of Dynastic Hero, than pay $800 for someone's 14th hand copy with Dorito fingerprints all over it. 

I knew when I bought the Sapphire he made years ago, it wasn't some secret stash Hudson put in a time vault. I'm not that stupid, I knew it was a repro, and he should have said as much, it was pointless to try to mislead people, and most of us would have bought it anyway. Same thing wth Rockman, that was shitty.  So I respect him now for branding the repros he does appropriately and making them easily distinguishable from the originals so people know.  And I encourage more of this because the gaming market has grown disgusting with people that are more concerned with collecting games for bragging rights than ever actually playing them.

Permission would be a great starting point for most repro setups. Just because you won't get permission from the original makers of the game (big companies), doesn't mean you shouldn't obtain permission from everyone involved in the hack/translation/whatever. One doesn't negate the other. I'm not totally against a community pressing or such, but asking first is key. I can't give permission on behalf of Capcom stuffs, but I can for my own.

I never intended to profit from this anyway, so why should I care? I care because what's supposed to be free, is being profited on. I, like so many others, could sure use the money. If I had known someone else was gonna take my stuff, for the community, and profit from it - then I wouldn't have made it in the first place (or kept it private among friends). In my case, it did have an effect. I now think about what I rather put my time into (something I can fully control or hack/translate? Why risk my time). In the end, it had the effect of Megaman 2 not appearing on PCE SCD (I kept it in hucard format). And my work on Megaman 3 for SCD as a trilogy set (on CD). That also has been canned. I have Dragon Warrior on SCD as well, that's not released. Castlevania with upgraded CD sound track too, for SCD: not publicly released. A lot of the NES2PCE projects (now kept in beta form), could have been refined and released as CD projects with CD audio upgrades - not going to happen. Not a whole lot of people care, because most prefer the originals and already play them on the original console anyway. But yeah, it did have an effect. It made me question if I should do any more translation stuff on the PCE. If that doesn't bother you, then more power to you.. I guess.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
HAILING:
Yes, we have a thread (or two) here where Bonknuts expressed his "frustration" with Tobias.

The thread was created when Tobias announced PCE MegaMan was a available for sale, I reckon.

I'm aware of his frustration in threads, I meant had he messaged him personally.

I never intended to profit from this anyway, so why should I care? I care because what's supposed to be free, is being profited on. I, like so many others, could sure use the money.

Have you considered talking to Tobias if you haven't done so already?

Nemo

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2014, 04:27:04 PM »
I love what Tobias is doing here, sorry Steve, and I wish more people would do something similar.  But the reason they don't is it's not profitable.  There used to be a company called TimeWalk games that made complete wth maps, top notch repros for Nes and SNES games.  Stuff like Earthbound Zero and Seiken Densetsu 3 in full English form.  No, you weren't paying for the Roms, those were  stolen from someone who hacked and stole them from the company who owns the rights to them.  You were paying for the quality and experience of playing a brand new 8 or 16-bit game again, which to a lot of people is priceless.  And even at about $70 a pop, these guys weren't quitting their dayjobs, and eventually went out of business, as I knew they would.  But I much rather pay $35 for a brand new, high quality repro of Dynastic Hero, than pay $800 for someone's 14th hand copy with Dorito fingerprints all over it. 

I knew when I bought the Sapphire he made years ago, it wasn't some secret stash Hudson put in a time vault. I'm not that stupid, I knew it was a repro, and he should have said as much, it was pointless to try to mislead people, and most of us would have bought it anyway. Same thing wth Rockman, that was shitty.  So I respect him now for branding the repros he does appropriately and making them easily distinguishable from the originals so people know.  And I encourage more of this because the gaming market has grown disgusting with people that are more concerned with collecting games for bragging rights than ever actually playing them.

Permission would be a great starting point for most repro setups. Just because you won't get permission from the original makers of the game (big companies), doesn't mean you shouldn't obtain permission from everyone involved in the hack/translation/whatever. One doesn't negate the other. I'm not totally against a community pressing or such, but asking first is key. I can't give permission on behalf of Capcom stuffs, but I can for my own.

I never intended to profit from this anyway, so why should I care? I care because what's supposed to be free, is being profited on. I, like so many others, could sure use the money. If I had known someone else was gonna take my stuff, for the community, and profit from it - then I wouldn't have made it in the first place (or kept it private among friends). In my case, it did have an effect. I now think about what I rather put my time into (something I can fully control or hack/translate? Why risk my time). In the end, it had the effect of Megaman 2 not appearing on PCE SCD (I kept it in hucard format). And my work on Megaman 3 for SCD as a trilogy set (on CD). That also has been canned. I have Dragon Warrior on SCD as well, that's not released. Castlevania with upgraded CD sound track too, for SCD: not publicly released. A lot of the NES2PCE projects (now kept in beta form), could have been refined and released as CD projects with CD audio upgrades - not going to happen. Not a whole lot of people care, because most prefer the originals and already play them on the original console anyway. But yeah, it did have an effect. It made me question if I should do any more translation stuff on the PCE. If that doesn't bother you, then more power to you.. I guess.

Totally, I agreed the whole Rockman situation was shitty, not only selling your work, but claiming it was an authentic release to the ignorant.  I feel like you did that out of fan love and expected nothing monetary in return for your efforts so I feel he should give you a cut or have asked for permission first, but did you ask permission from Capcom at any point to tinker with their games and distribute it?  If you didn't, Im not criticizing, my point is there are a ton of people doing stuff with older games they don't have any rights to, some taking away monetary gains and some not, it's their choice.  And as Turbo lovers, collectors, nostalgists, however you identify yourself, we as the consumers of the media, we make choices too. And I like having options for what I want to support and not to, and at the end of the day if no one in the community supported Tobias, he would be left with a bunch of unsold plastic. 

So we all have to make a choice what we are comfortable with. Looking back a decade ago, I used to be a real douche nozzle about any kind of piracy, felt like anyone who "stole" games in any form were a detriment to us "real" gamers.  This was back when the "rere" games were actually affordable to a normal person, I was a poor college student at the time and chose to save my expendable income for the Drac Xes and Sylphias.  But the climate is constantly changing, and the douche nozzles now are the ones we complain about on this forum gouging people on Ebay for games some of us will never be able to truly experience because other douche nozzles decided they got tired of collecting stamps and baseball cards, and video games would be a cool thing to keep in plastic cases. 

I don't like playing Turbo games on my computer, I like opening up their case with mostly laughable cover art and putting the Hu-card or game disc in my Turbo Duo, and breathing in 2 8-bit processors.  That's me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:31:49 PM by Nemo »

Nemo

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »
Double posted  :shock:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:31:20 PM by Nemo »

NightWolve

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »

Permission would be a great starting point for most repro setups. Just because you won't get permission from the original makers of the game (big companies), doesn't mean you shouldn't obtain permission from everyone involved in the hack/translation/whatever. One doesn't negate the other. I'm not totally against a  on the original console anyway. But yeah, it did have an effect. It made me question if I should do any more translation stuff on the PCE. If that doesn't bother you, then more power to you.. I guess.

Totally, I agreed the whole Rockman situation was shitty, not only selling your work, but claiming it was an authentic release to the ignorant.  I feel like you did that out of fan love and expected nothing monetary in return for your efforts so I feel he should give you a cut or have asked for permission first, but did you ask permission from Capcom at any point to tinker with their games and distribute it?

The difference though is as Bonknuts indicated, you likely won't get permission and nor could you afford it as an individual if you did if it goes for $5k-10k+, not unless you managed to say pull something off with Kickstarter. Bonknuts was reachable for permission, Capcom likely not. By Tobias avoiding both Capcom and Bonknuts, it gives the appearance he just didn't wanna split profits. Technically, you need to get 2 licenses (official forms of permission), both from Capcom, the developer/publisher, and NEC, the console manufacturer, if you wanna do things by the book and again, that's far less possible considering what you're gonna have to pay.

I would guess Tobias was more afraid of Bonknuts agreeing to a royalty split or flat fee as opposed to yelling at him in response to seeking permission, giving him the ole anti-profit, fan-credo lecture about how he did it all for the love of the game and profiting should have no part in it, etc. Either Tobias didn't wanna get yelled at or he didn't wanna have to agree to split profits. I dunno where his response was reported, but he instead simply claimed that he didn't know where the Megaman hackulation came from which is bullshit, especially from a shady guy known to say bullshit like he did when it came to his first batch of Sapphires claiming they were some lost stash, trying to pass them off as authentic. We recently had a sucker that paid $600 for one that the seller either lied about or thought was authentic, so his actions have still had an effect...

Your rhetorical question to Bonknuts is simply a reminder the he, nor anybody else, has *legal* rights in these situations. We know that though. This is about respecting wishes, ethics, doing things the right way, etc. Tobias could've at least contacted the reachable parties here, and Bonknuts versus Capcom/NEC, is far more reachable as a general fan that hangs out on PCE related forums, Facebook, his own PCE related blog, etc. Simple Google searches will yield contact info if one desires.

I went through this *big time* with the criminal fan translator that I used to work with on Ys games, Jeff Nussbaum (AKA DeuceBag) and a new company that came on the scene, XSEED Games. Ethically they cheated me for my work hours as a fan, but they also actually violated my IP Rights when it came to a 100% legal piece of unique software that I developed to manage translating scripts. I never licensed it to my translator for commercial purposes, neither verbally or in a license file, for him to get to sneak around and use it one last time to port translated results over to XSEED, get paid 100%, get credited 100%, but because it was on his computer having got there under fan circumstances, and because the other translator inside XSEED hated me (Thomas "WyrdWad" Lipschultz), they did whatever the hell they wanted and said f--k you to me! Jeff never directly spoke to me again after pretending to be a friend across 8 years. He just sat there playing stupid, the monster that he is and that I never fully realized.

It's the sneaking around, the secrecy, doing it behind someone's back that's disgusting... Two other translators I worked with in the past made CD-Rs of Xak III and Ys IV, put them up on eBay. In the case of Ys IV, it was the main translator that I worked with, Shimarisu. If she had notified me, I likely would've just waived any sort of split, but it's the fact that somebody else using eBay caught the action, and reported it to me that bugged me the most. Xak III was being done by a friend who had nothing to do with the project, so that made us enemies for a while too... Anyway, none of that compares to Jeff and XSEED. That's pretty much one of the worst things that ever happened to me.

OK, so the point with Tobias is that his actions earned criticism and to know who you're buying from... You can talk about how you have no legal rights anyway, you didn't get permission either, etc., but all that does not block criticism when it comes to ethics and so forth like what I've seen in this thread - e.g. the earlier suggestion that either the fans who produced the translations or hacks make discs and sell them themselves, or don't release the work publicly at all, one or the other, suggesting to shut up and not complain that something you released up on the Internet for free can and will be used to somebody else's profit, etc. Not exactly a convincing argument in my book... If positive things can be said about such actions, so too can negative things. Deal with it.

In full disclosure, even in saying all this, I'm actually interested in Tobias' Dungeon Explorer II discs and might buy one if the price is right next year when they're sold separately. Can't say for sure, it'll depend on his pricing which usually sucks since he acts like he paid license fees to Capcom and NEC, which he did not, and neither did he spend a single work hour in creating said games, etc. Bootlegs are supposed to be cheap for poor-to-middle class people, and given that the bootlegger escaped thousands of dollars in license fees, that's the principle. Anyhow, yeah, he's a prick and I'd hate that he'd get my business, but oh well. I'll still call him out for his past as you can see.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:14:00 PM by NightWolve »

Nemo

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
I think we're all pretty much saying the same thing here, everyone hates someone for something.    :D  People take advantage of other people's work everyday, so at the end of the day, you have to do what you can to protect what you create or someone will surely come along at some point and use it for their own advantage. If Tobi gets sued to hell, that's on him, he took that risk. Were all sinners calling out other sinners, just strive to not be a hypocrite.  From a gamer standpoint, were not talking about buying DVDs or CDs that are still in stores and retail for $10-$20, and I'm being a cheap prick and I only want to pay 2 for $5 to the local bootlegger. Were talking about 25+ year old games games that sell for $500 to $1000 on Ebay because x amount of copies are in existence and y amount of people would actually like to enjoy them without forgoing their mortgage.

Anyways, on the topic of Xak III and Ys IV English versions in a nice package, that would surely be something I would buy.   :-"

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
I ordered a set, can't wait to get it :D I don't own any of the four games, but all four were on my "if I ever win the lottery" list.

I did ask him how he wasn't getting sued, and he told me that NEC's own rights to release games on the platform are expired; why would they bother suing him for re-releasing games to a platform they can't even legally release them on?

Thanks for contacting Tobias. Although I don't believe him for contacting NEC. Considering there are many PCE and Turbo games available for purchase on Nintendo's Virtual console service, there isn't a case of expired rights.

Well, that's what I believe.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:23:18 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »

Thanks for contacting Tobias. Although I don't believe him for contacting NEC. Considering there are many PCE and Turbo games available for purchase on Nintendo's Virtual console service, there isn't a case of expired rights.

Well, that's what I believe.

He was misdirecting in that response, acting like NEC was the only party he'd have to contact here. The publisher is the one that gets a full 75+ years of IP protection. Anyway, he won't get sued because the pirate networks that spread content for free by the millions is far more damaging than a guy that sells a few hundred pressed discs. That thinking is based on the idea of jealously and him making money.

When I was in Athens, Greece, everywhere you walked around, there was a bootlegger selling DVD-Rs of the latest movies for one to two euros. Is that guy on the street your threat as a company or friggin' The Pirate Pay where he downloaded it and spreads the movie by the millions daily ? Who is the higher priority ?? Companies are pretty much helpless or don't care anymore, don't think little targets here or there are worth the trouble.

esteban

PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »
I am sorry, but it really is simple:

(1) what Tobias did was FAR MORE DAMAGING to our tiny PCE hacker/homebrew community than many of you folks are willing to admit.

Bonknuts and Black_Tiger both spoke plainly and honestly: 

(2) Tobias, single-handedly, in one fell swoop, stopped/curtailed several current (and future) PCE projects that I (for one) was really looking forward to.

(3) The PRIMARY FORCE that motivates fan hacks/homebrew is enthusiasm.

(4) Tobias killed that enthusiasm. Even worse, he killed this enthusiasm in THE SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE WHO ARE TALENTED/SKILLED ENOUGH to actually create something for the PCE community.

(5) Ultimately, Tobias' actions inflicted immediate and long-term damage to the very heart of the PCE community—the folks who are actively working on this ancient platform.

It really is that simple. And tragic. It doesn't take much to destroy enthusiasm. It takes a HELL OF A LOT to repair the damage. Often, you can't even repair it.

(7) I am sorry I had to point out the obvious to everyone who is SO DAMN HAPPY TO BUY NICE PIECES OF PLASTIC AND PAPER. For the record, I am conflicted about this issue: I think Tobias creates a professional product, I love the idea of pressed discs...but I don't want to support him for reasons stated above. Life would be much easier without ethics. Tobias presents us with a painful dilemma: he is offering something many of us want....but he also hurt the community irreparably. He is both our savior and our destroyer. He is both. Acknowledge that, at least.

( 8 ) I still love you all. But DAMN, just be honest about this. Stop rationalizing. Stop trying to justify it.

:)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:58:00 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2014, 02:53:11 AM »
It's 4megabit? Probably pretty doable on SCD (with load times for stages). If anything, it can be hacked for the arcade card format fairly easily (most hucards can be).

Doable by someone like you with skillz, not Tobias.

If I had known someone else was gonna take my stuff, for the community, and profit from it - then I wouldn't have made it in the first place (or kept it private among friends).

That's sam's thoughts as well, but realistically it's inevitable that someone will eventually pull something shitty.  If you have 99 grateful, supportive people enjoying the fruits of your labor and 1 being a douche, you really shouldn't dwell on the 1; that's not to say you guys shouldn't care at all (it'd piss me right the f*ck off too), but recognize that the vast majority of people are doing things the right way.  Don't let one bad apple spoil the bushel!

Quote from: Nemo
... did you ask permission from Capcom at any point to tinker with their games and distribute it?.....We're all sinners calling out other sinners, just strive to not be a hypocrite.

If you don't see the difference between Tom (a fan currently doing stuff in his free time for fun) and a faceless corporation that has nothing to lose and hasn't had anything to do with the PCE in decades, you might ride the short bus.  Pro tip: ethics and legality are not synonyms.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles