Author Topic: What's the going rate on Addams Family?  (Read 845 times)

johnnykonami

What's the going rate on Addams Family?
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Although I never thought this game looked very good when I was a kid, I have these memories of pouring over the Turboplay issue it was featured in - seeing the designers tools to actually build the game is what really got me at the time.  Couple that with a recent interest in the Addams Family pinball game and rewatching the movies, I figured maybe it might be worth checking into it for the hell of it.  Anyone know what it's worth?  Also, I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions from those of you who have played it.  I think I remember a lot of pretty atrocious reviews.

madboom0522

Re: What's the going rate on Addams Family?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
It is actually kind of fun...for me at least. I would say $25-$35 for a nice copy is pretty fair.
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

Ayce

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:38 AM »
To answer the question directly... too much!

You know what they say about movie games right? Yeah this is no exception. If you are wanting it just because you have to have it in your collection then, sure buy it. I for one can't stand this game. But, I concur with madboom on the price. There is one on ePay right now for $20 + $2 shipping. That's probably as low as it will go on there, unless you get lucky.

galam

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »
AF is one of my favorite turbo games. Its tough, and exploring the mansion is fun.
I have heard some people give up right away, because the opening stage can be difficult at first, but anybody can get through it.  Once thats done...you go in the mansion and it opens up a bit. You need to figure out the order of the doors to enter to collect all the things you have to find.
Its very odd, but its a basic solid platformer at its heart. You need to stick with it...certainly need patience.
The final trek to gomez is difficult once you get through the mansion, and there are some controller throwing moments.   But all in all, i love AF.  Still gets a lot of play.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »
This game is definitely worth what it goes for and by that I mean $20-25. I've had fun with it, so there's that.

*insert early 00s era Brendon Small** sassy face*

**of Metalocalypse & Home Movies fame.

madboom0522

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
AF is one of my favorite turbo games. Its tough, and exploring the mansion is fun.
I have heard some people give up right away, because the opening stage can be difficult at first, but anybody can get through it.  Once thats done...you go in the mansion and it opens up a bit. You need to figure out the order of the doors to enter to collect all the things you have to find.
Its very odd, but its a basic solid platformer at its heart. You need to stick with it...certainly need patience.
The final trek to gomez is difficult once you get through the mansion, and there are some controller throwing moments.   But all in all, i love AF.  Still gets a lot of play.

There is the problem with the game. No one really tries to play through the first board... Gets more fun after that.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
I like AF.  It's not the best game ever but it's pretty interesting and is fun.

johnnykonami

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll definitely add it to the bucket list now.

galam

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 02:17:46 AM »
i have a spare if you want it.  CIC very good condition.
$18 shipped?

vestcoat

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:44:57 AM »
Addams Family is a good example of a "5" on a scale of 1-10: everything works, fun can be derived from the game, it can be beaten in a day or two, and it's attracted a handful of advocates. Nothing special, but I really enjoyed playing through it and making a diagram of the mansion.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »
my local game store has it boxed for 25 bucks I believe, I might have to pick it up and give it a try?

madboom0522

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 07:03:43 AM »
my local game store has it boxed for 25 bucks I believe, I might have to pick it up and give it a try?

Sounds like you have your answer....

grache

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »
i have a spare if you want it.  CIC very good condition.
$18 shipped?
If no one else takes you up on this offer, I want it.

TG-16 CD games I've been looking for: Last Alert, Final Zone II, Addams Family, J.B. Harold.
[ul][li]Just got Last Alert off ebay.[/li][li]In galam's raffle for Final Zone II.[/li][li]*Might* pick up Addams family from galam.[/li][li]J.B. Harold - falls in my lap??[/li][/ul]
Conclusion: zomg, I'm a collectard!
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles

galam

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
offer is only open to jk at the moment.  i may be posting a FS thread in a few days.

seieienbu

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 04:25:37 AM »
The controls and hit detection always felt wonky to me but I found the game fun enough.  The last time I gave it a run through was maybe 2 years ago.  I hadn't played it in so long that I had to spend several games trying to re-learn the correct path through the mansion once it opens up.  Yeah, I'd like the game more if the controls felt better but imo it's still good enough to grant an enjoyable playthrough.  If you can get a copy for $25 I figure it will be well worth that price.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93