Author Topic: What's the going rate on Addams Family?  (Read 848 times)

johnnykonami

Re: What's the going rate on Addams Family?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 05:09:51 AM »
That's a generous offer, Galam, thank you!  I'll PM you.

roflmao

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »
I bought Addams Family for ~$10 off ebay back on 9-23-13 and felt it was a waste of money. I really want to like this game because I love the franchise, but it's just not fun to play. I keep hoping someday I'll give it another solid go, but there are so many other good games out there to play, I haven't gotten around to it yet. :)

I spent a good chunk of this past weekend playing Monster Lair and Shapeshifter and both are better side-scrolling action/adventure games than Addams Family. And probably cost less looking at today's going rate...

johnnykonami

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 06:07:24 AM »
It wasn't on my to buy list, but I just figured why not.  I know it's an ICOM game, and I'm usually not too impressed with those (Except for the NES era Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited games) but I'll get some amusement out of it I'm sure.  I'm also expecting a Japanese Vasteel to replacement my stolen US copy pretty soon, but for now I should stop buying games for myself so close to Christmas. 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 06:43:37 AM »
I really should get a job at Game Dude.
http://www.gamedude.com/turbog.html
I bought mine loose for $5 2 years ago from the Retro Gaming Convention in Portland Oregon.

Ayce

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 12:52:39 AM »
I really should get a job at Game Dude.
http://www.gamedude.com/turbog.html
I bought mine loose for $5 2 years ago from the Retro Gaming Convention in Portland Oregon.

I didn't even know they still exist!

madboom0522

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 06:54:03 AM »
Yeah, until you call them and they say hold on let me check the price.... That means what is it selling for on e-bay at the moment....
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

ctophil

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »
I bought my copy of The Addams Family only like 2 months ago for $20.00 in really nice condition (no scratches, complete with case & instructions).  It was my first Turbografx-CD game I ever owned.  It was to test out the TG-CD unit I got during the summer. 

The game itself is fun but hard as rocks.  I got past the mansion after dying numerous times and trying to figure out how to get past certain parts.  The game has that weird feeling like they never finished making the game or something.  lol.  I died instantly after the mansion.  It only gets harder.  It's not a bad platformer, just not as good as the other versions on SNES and Sega Genesis. 

johnnykonami

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »
My buddy and I finally popped this baby in tonight, and man is it brutal.  It's also entirely possible we're scrubs in our old age, but damn, we couldn't even beat fester with all those bats and and spiders while he's blasting you with lightbulbs all over the place.  Tried for like 15-20 minutes and decided to do something else :)  I'll give it another go on my own in a couple days though.

Does this game not have any CD audio?  I just ripped it using Turborip and we played it on Magic Engine, and it only ripped an 11 meg iso and no redbook audio tracks.  A little surprised, a couple of reviews had mentioned "CD quality audio" but I just checked the CD itself and it doesn't seem to have any.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »
Are you sure you ripped it right?  The audio is a highlight for me personally.

esteban

What's the going rate on Addams Family?
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
My buddy and I finally popped this baby in tonight, and man is it brutal.  It's also entirely possible we're scrubs in our old age, but damn, we couldn't even beat fester with all those bats and and spiders while he's blasting you with lightbulbs all over the place.  Tried for like 15-20 minutes and decided to do something else :)  I'll give it another go on my own in a couple days though.

Does this game not have any CD audio?  I just ripped it using Turborip and we played it on Magic Engine, and it only ripped an 11 meg iso and no redbook audio tracks.  A little surprised, a couple of reviews had mentioned "CD quality audio" but I just checked the CD itself and it doesn't seem to have any.

I don't think Addams Famiky has Red Book audio tracks...it streams ADPCM, if I recall correctly. One of the tech gurus can explain in more detail.
  |    | 

Bernie

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »
Nope, no redbook.  Just one small little ISO.  I don't even know why this was released as a CD game, unless the voice-overs required it to be so.

galam

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
Nope, no redbook.  Just one small little ISO.  I don't even know why this was released as a CD game, unless the voice-overs required it to be so.

Says right on the box.  "CD Graphics"

thisIsLoneWolf

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
I think I remember reading an article (it may have been Turbo Play), where they were talking about how the game levels stream from the disc. That would almost imply that level graphics/maps are too large to fit into memory all at once.

It's been a while since I've played this game, but maybe someone here can chime in regarding how large/complex the levels are, and if there are many noticeable load times, during gameplay.

I wonder if any other ICOM games employed similar level streaming technology back then. I don't think this was all that common of a technique prior to the "playstation era".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:57 AM »
Johnny says it's an 11mb iso, which I presume to be megabytes (or 88 megabits); no doubt that's mostly adpcm, which would be sorely missed if removed (especially the title music).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

johnnykonami

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
I figured it was something like that.  I haven't heard the rest of the music beyond Fester, and it could have been the emulation, but even that music (more like "weird" ambience) cut off after a few loops.  Still, even at 11 Megabytes it would be pretty huge for a Hucard.  Street Fighter 2 was one of the biggest, right?  and that was 20 Megabits - 2.5 Megabytes.