Author Topic: Kickstarter Idea  (Read 583 times)

Medic_wheat

Kickstarter Idea
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:19:32 AM »
I have played with this idea for nearly two years but have always kept it as a idea. But with the growing success of crowd funding such as kickstarter and resurgence in retro gaming I thought I would put feelers out and see what sort of reaction there is in the gaming community.

Develop investment castings for metal reproductions of the putter shells for:

NES system (broken down into each plastic part including the hinged door and useless dust cover on the bottom for the expansion port that was never used)

NES controller (possibly including the d-pad, and buttons)

NES cartridge (screws not included).

Depending if this is a success on kickstarter venture out to other platforms such as the Genesis, TG-16, and SNES.

THIS WOULD BE BOTH FUNCTIONAL as the guts of a system could be transplanted into this custom case enclosures or used as a very fancy display/paper weight.

It would also serve for anyone wanting to do custom paint jobs on a metal surface as a additional idea.

I have sent a email to a local company that does both large scal and small production run for casting in metal for quotes. The good thing is this will give me numbers to base my kickstarter idea around and a realistic funding goal. The better part is the foundry is two hours from where I live and I plan to go in person to better develop my proposal in kickstarter and for updates should my idea get funded.

At this point I just wanted a better idea on what gamers and collectors thought of this idea. I know it will always come down to price and if a $500 dollar clone NES was laughable to most this might be seen in similar standing.

At this time pricing is an unknown. But I have taken the first step in making the right contacts and awaiting quotes.

The good part is I can do it in stages if needed. Start with what will most likely be the most affordable part the cartridge itself then do a second kickstarter campaign for the system aster I have developed an instal base of satisfied backers and word of mouth.

I know there are home mkdders developers and alike who already have had successfully kickstarter campaigns for their YouTube accounts games and much more. So why not make this idea into a reality.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

And yes this was typed on my phone. Forgive spelling lol.

xelement5x

Re: Kickstarter Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:56:14 AM »
It sounds like it would be incredibly expensive, and I'm not sure of the benefit because why would you want a metal components, they would just be super-de duper heavy. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Medic_wheat

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
It sounds like it would be incredibly expensive, and I'm not sure of the benefit because why would you want a metal components, they would just be super-de duper heavy.

Just for the bad assness of having a metal enclosure.

Granted I was more worried about having metal components inserted into electrical but I think there would be enough plastics in the feed tray to keep it from toasting your NES system.

As for the expense. As I said I don't know. The initial cost of having th molds made would be the largest barrier to over come. But once that is done I would think metal even scrap metal in a low grade aluminum would be obtainable cost.

Plus we are not talking having a entire new collection with metal cases (should I go with just a custom metal NES cartrdge to start).

This could be a fun ever drive case alternative.

Or heck get some big spenders and make a few limited run 12k yellow gold carts for The original Zwlda game might be fun.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
Sounds dumb to me, as it'll be prohibitively expensive and metal is only good when it's needed.  Also, I doubt what you're thinking of would be cast metal.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Opethian

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »
wooden NES isn't going to work either that other guy tried it

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Medic_wheat

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:33 AM »
wooden NES isn't going to work either that other guy tried it

But I love splinters

cjameslv

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »
Metal Nintendo... Never thought i'd hear those two words together, heard of Metal Jesus though. Not to shoot your idea down but that seems like a huge issue. I could see a custom one-off but mass produce metal cases? I'd figure they would have to be aluminum and they would still need to be welded (and its not that simple to weld aluminum) in certain areas.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:01:24 AM »
why
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

HailingTheThings

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »
Why not have a kickstarter campaign for homebrew Obey instead?

Medic_wheat

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »

Cool idea.

But no skills in that area.

Someone here with said abilities would need to be the developer of that kickstarter.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »

Cool idea.

But no skills in that area.

Someone here with said abilities would need to be the developer of that kickstarter.

I just meant in general. Like it would be cooler than a metal casing for a NES.

NES < Turbo

cjameslv

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:08 AM »
why

Well guess you never welded it. There's a shit ton of reasons, it heats too fast, cools too fast, cracks, doesn't flow properly, needs way too much prep work to clean the surface, you have to preheat it and hope it stays hot before you even weld...needless to say too much f*cking work. Class dismissed.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 04:18:10 AM »
Metal Nintendo... Never thought i'd hear those two words together, heard of Metal Jesus though. Not to shoot your idea down but that seems like a huge issue. I could see a custom one-off but mass produce metal cases? I'd figure they would have to be aluminum and they would still need to be welded (and its not that simple to weld aluminum) in certain areas.

In my own fuzzy logic and mind I picture the system being a one for one copy of the plastic casing. So all you would do is mount it and screw it down with original parts.

The plastic isn't welded. It is all heled down with screws except for that dust cover. It snakes in place.

Yeah like I said. This is just an idea I have had for some time. Low grade aluminum was my thinking

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:49 AM »
Well guess you never welded it. There's a shit ton of reasons, it heats too fast, cools too fast, cracks, doesn't flow properly, needs way too much prep work to clean the surface, you have to preheat it and hope it stays hot before you even weld...needless to say too much f*cking work. Class dismissed.

I'm pretty sure punky was responding to OP.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Medic_wheat

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 04:24:58 AM »
Although to screw things together it would need grooves for them and not just he openings. Hmmmm

Well this is why I am not a mechanical engineer