Author Topic: Retrogate having a sale on the TurboEverdrive +others  (Read 1455 times)

schnuth

Re: Retrogate having a sale on the TurboEverdrive +others
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
My order passed through customs a week ago, but is taking it's sweet time to get to me. It's been stuck in Allen Park, MI for the past three days. At least it got scanned each of those days. Gotta love the USPS during the holidays. :(

NightWolve

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
Well, I gotta think about getting around to selling my original SNES carts, make up the $167 dollars I spent on this thing.

I got a beautiful 10" tablet for the same money with 32 GB drive, Windows 8.1, 2 GB RAM, microUSB slot, USB 3.0 slot (charge and use hub or other device at the same time), 1.33 GHz quadcore CPU, etc. - it works great, also got its minime 7" version for $30 bucks thanks to a coupon meant for a dead man that my neighbor/friend gave me! They're both awesome tablets giving you a full Windows 8 desktop in the palm of your hands! Cons only are the cameras are cheap 2 megapixels and resolution is 1280x800 (720p), so not true HD at 1920x1080. Also, batteries drain fast, but I don't care, they'll most always be plugged in for use.

Anyway, I'm not crazy about having spent that much on a flashcart, but I told myself I'll cover it when I get rid of all my originals. I'm only keeping my Squaresoft games, FFII, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, and The Secret of Evermore just for old times sake.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:53:16 AM by NightWolve »

slinkyturd

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
Dragon's crush is pretty damn awful. Think Turbo's version of Zelda II on NES. Complete garbage!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:22:54 PM by slinkyturd »
70/95 US Turbochips

technozombie

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
My SD2SNES came in today, except I wasn't home and by the time I got home the Post Office was closed. So I can't get mine until Monday. I 'm very disappointed.  I'll be keeping all my carts, but I decided awhile back not to buy anymore unless I find them on the cheap at yard sales.  $167 is a lot but playing translated games on real hardware w/o having to buy repro-carts makes it worthwhile to me. I can't wait for X-mas, so I can get the TurboEverdrive. Btw, who was it that had the well arranged rom set? Can you PM me?

Desh

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:36 AM »

Got my Turbo ED in the mail today.  Now if only there were a nice custom cover made for it.

98pacecar

NightWolve

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »
http://sd2snes.de/blog/downloads

Tech Notes:

I'm sure others already figured it out, but FYI just in case: The SD2SNES requires that you load the BIOS/Operating System (AKA firmware) onto the same SD card that you're going to use for your SNES ROM set - it's not flashed inside. It will not work otherwise!

As no instructions were provided about this either on the retrogate sale page or with the box that it came with, I had to figure out why when I turn on my system I just get a "Can't find /sd2snes/menu.bin" message.

1) So after you load up your ROM set on some 2 to 4 GB SD card, download the latest firmware files from here: http://sd2snes.de/blog/downloads

2) On your SD card, you should have a folder called 'sd2snes' (when you unzip the download, it'll have it ready made) with all the needed firmware files copied to it.

3) You also need to find and copy all of these DSP ROM dumps below in the 'sd2snes' folder for DSPx / ST0010 support:

dsp1.bin
dsp1b.bin
dsp2.bin
dsp3.bin
dsp4.bin
st0010.bin

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/sd2snes.html

StoneAgeGamer, the guys with the overpriced fancy version collected them all and put them in the Downloads section. Click 'Downloads' and you'll find all the links.

or

1) Skip 1 to 3, and download my Zip archive that I just made which puts all downloads together for ya!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/at5l9c4t9lbcgxg/sd2snes_firmware_BIOS_v0.1.6.zip

By doing it this way, updating the firmware is easy, but out of the box, just copying a ROM on to a SD card and trying to load a game will not work... A printed little note in the box would've sufficed, something, somewhere, but it's understandable since the producer krik is a fan and expecting professional level products with guides and so forth is maybe too much... Still, for $167 I should have something about this step on the sale page ( http://shop.retrogate.com/SD2SNES-Rev-F-SD2SNES.htm ).

Overall Thoughts having now used it:  The OS is pretty advanced, I have to say! I hate that the Reset button takes you back to the game, not the menu, so you have to turn the system off/on to pick another game, but that's a minor point. Was looking to try Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but looks like that is one of the games that doesn't work with it, so too bad. I got to play some good ole Wild Guns, a fun SNES gem in Wild West themed third-person shooter style!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:54:49 AM by NightWolve »

Bernie

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
Yeah, the N64 EverDrive is the same way.  You have to load the OS on it, and I believe the NES and regular SNES ones are as well, but I cannot remember.  The Turbo one is the only one I have not had to do that with, although you can still update the OS on it as well.

NightWolve

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Alright, I put all the StoneAgeGamer downloads and the 0.1.6 firmware download together in one zip.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/at5l9c4t9lbcgxg/sd2snes_firmware_BIOS_v0.1.6.zip

Just extract to the root of the SD card with your ROMs as 'sd2snes' and that should do it.  Also, if you want a Bernie ROM pack special, PM me or him. ;)

I'll check out the possible quick key notes, null, thanks!

Decent SD2SNES Review Video looks like:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:17:23 AM by NightWolve »

Bernie

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »
I actually just placed an order for the EverDrive MD.  There wasn't enough of a difference for me to justify spending the extra 75 bucks or so for the Mega EverDrive.  Already have my folder ready to go.  :)

Groover

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
I got a TurboEverdrive because I currently have a very small library and some games for me are beyond my reach for now. I still like hunting down games. That said great deal there. I bought mine there.

I think the SD2SNES might be next on my list. Although I want a flash cart for all that I can. It is good to hear feedback on these flash carts.

technozombie

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »
I actually just placed an order for the EverDrive MD.  There wasn't enough of a difference for me to justify spending the extra 75 bucks or so for the Mega EverDrive.  Already have my folder ready to go.  :)
Is the only difference in the 2 save states? I might order one of these soon.

GohanX

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 05:27:53 AM »
The Mega has much, much faster loading, cd ram functionality, save states, and support for larger rom files like the UMK3 hack.

xelement5x

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »
The Mega has much, much faster loading, cd ram functionality, save states, and support for larger rom files like the UMK3 hack.

Yeah, I spent the extra for the Mega ED and don't regret it at all.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

technozombie

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 03:28:59 PM »

Yeah, I spent the extra for the Mega ED and don't regret it at all.

I guess either option is still cheaper than buying M.U.S.H.A. I'm very bitter over that game as, I once had a chance to get it for $20 (CIB) but I was nice and let someone else buy it. That was 10+ years ago and I had no idea how expensive it would get.