Author Topic: Best US Huey round 3  (Read 1011 times)

o.pwuaioc

Re: Best US Huey round 3
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
On a serious note, I'm surprised Devil's Crush is tied for 3rd place. I'm not surprised Bonk's Revenge is, even if I didn't vote for it, but I am confused that DC is that well thought of.

johnnykonami

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
On a serious note, I'm surprised Devil's Crush is tied for 3rd place. I'm not surprised Bonk's Revenge is, even if I didn't vote for it, but I am confused that DC is that well thought of.

I think Devil's Crush is a pretty cool game, but I have always thought Alien Crush was the better of the two (leaving Jaki Crush out of the comparison for obvious reasons).  I am always a little sad it doesn't get as much credit.  I'm definitely biased though, it was my only game besides Keith Courage Christmas of 1989, so I played it like crazy until I got a copy of Bonk's Adventure later on that year.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »
I don't consider Ninja Spirit that hard. Once you have a few powerups, you are so powerful...

But, I've played the game to death. On PCE mode.

That doesn't mean I don't get my butt handed to me in other games, though. Like R-Type. I still get smacked around by R-Type.
  |    | 

greedostick

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »
I don't consider Ninja Spirit that hard. Once you have a few powerups, you are so powerful...

That doesn't mean I don't get my butt handed to me in other games, though. Like R-Type. I still get smacked around by R-Type.

That's because R-Type is cheap as f*ck. I remember spending all day, like 10 hours, multiple times growing up trying to beat R-Type on Master System. Never beat it. It is one of the very few games on my list that I could never complete that I must get revenge upon. Right up there with Soloman's Key and Fester's Quest. And I consider myself pretty damn good at video games. I have beat all the Ninja Gaiden's and all the Ghosts n' Goblins games, Battletoads etc..., among many other games considered hard, and R-Type is one of the toughest.

Dragon Spirit is cheap as hell too.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:14:38 PM by greedostick »

seieienbu

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
It took me like 21 years to beat R-Type.  The level of relief I felt finally getting to the ending scene was amazing.  I've always loved R-Type and I'm glad the weight of never completing it is finally off of my shoulders.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

johnnykonami

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »

That's because R-Type is cheap as f*ck. I remember spending all day, like 10 hours, multiple times growing up trying to beat R-Type on Master System. Never beat it. It is one of the very few games on my list that I could never complete that I must get revenge upon. Right up there with Soloman's Key and Fester's Quest. And I consider myself pretty damn good at video games. I have beat all the Ninja Gaiden's and all the Ghosts n' Goblins games, Battletoads etc..., among many other games considered hard, and R-Type is one of the toughest.

I beat the TG-16 version of R-Type once when I was a kid.  I think it always seemed like a chore to try to do it again, so I usually played up to level 3 (the Battleship) and beat that and just stopped there because that was pretty much my favorite level.  Tough game though, certainly.  You were always getting nailed by some stray bullet.  Conversely, I remember I loved playing through Ordyne because it was so damn easy in comparison.  I beat that game dozens of times, and it was probably my most played shooter up until I got my Turboduo and Gate of Thunder.  You know the rest after that!  If you can beat battletoads (which is a bunch of bullshit mainly due to poor programming and design), the GnG series, and Ninja Gaiden, you have more than enough skill to stick out R-Type to the end, so go for it!

greedostick

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »

I beat the TG-16 version of R-Type once when I was a kid.  I think it always seemed like a chore to try to do it again, so I usually played up to level 3 (the Battleship) and beat that and just stopped there because that was pretty much my favorite level.  Tough game though, certainly.  You were always getting nailed by some stray bullet.  Conversely, I remember I loved playing through Ordyne because it was so damn easy in comparison.  I beat that game dozens of times, and it was probably my most played shooter up until I got my Turboduo and Gate of Thunder.  You know the rest after that!  If you can beat battletoads (which is a bunch of bullshit mainly due to poor programming and design), the GnG series, and Ninja Gaiden, you have more than enough skill to stick out R-Type to the end, so go for it!

R-Type will succumb to my gaming skills one of these days.  One of the next games on my list is R-Type Complete CD. So I will be investing some serious time into it this winter. Battletoads really isn't that hard. It's just memorizing all the racing and that snake level. Those are the only really annoying parts. Especially the unicycle level. But the worst is The Dark Queens Tower. It rotates while you jump and is pretty cheap.

Viva LA Dragon's Crush!

esteban

Best US Huey round 3
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »

R-Type will succumb to my gaming skills one of these days.  One of the next games on my list is R-Type Complete CD. So I will be investing some serious time into it this winter. Battletoads really isn't that hard. It's just memorizing all the racing and that snake level. Those are the only really annoying parts. Especially the unicycle level. But the worst is The Dark Queens Tower. It rotates while you jump and is pretty cheap.

Viva LA Dragon's Crush!

(0) I love Dragon Spirit! Challenging at some points (e.g. some parts really require you to be TINY DRAGON, which I can't always keep)...I never found Dragon Spirit as frustrating as other games...but I'll never beat Battletoads, so we all have games that exhaust/empty our reservoirs of interest. I don't care if I ever beat Battletoads. 

(1) I always feel better when folks commiserate about R-Type! I just never will "master" it. I can beat it, but it's the EXCEPTION...I am always stressed...

(2) Arcade, SMS and TG-16 versions of the game have all laughed at me for half my life.

(3) I've beaten Ninja Gaiden (NES), but for some reason I just can't beat Battletoads. I think I gave up on Battletoads back in the early 90's....it just takes too long to slog through the stuff you know until you have a chance to gain experience with the "new" challenges. One of the later scooter races is maddening to me, I just said, "I will never see anything beyond this stage." ...And this is from someone who plays Athena and Super Pitfall (NES) for fun.

(4) I never played Fester's Quest (not for more than a few minutes)! It looks like a sweet SunSoft game. I know, I can't believe I haven't given it serious time.

(5) ORDYNE is a game I've been meaning to play for a billion years....and I never "make room" for it. I have to play the damn game. Lots of folks have said it is OK.

(6) I like the music in R-Type Complete CD, but it isn't "electrifying" like the original chiptunes...but, for me, it breathes new life into R-Type (warning, some folks hate the Red Book).

It took me like 21 years to beat R-Type.  The level of relief I felt finally getting to the ending scene was amazing.  I've always loved R-Type and I'm glad the weight of never completing it is finally off of my shoulders.

Exactly! I have a bunch of games that I hope to beat one day. 20+ years and counting...Top Gun (NES)...I got sooooooo close, so many times....but I can't remember if I ever beat it. I think I did. But I am not 100% certain. This angers me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:39:35 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 03:01:55 AM »
I would like to see how many votes Ninja Spirit would get if the requirement for voting for it is clearing the game without cheating.

How does one cheat in Ninja Spirit?  Are you talking about the Level Select code?

The last stage has you jump down a long pit of ninjas that kill you in one or two hits. Most people find it to be impossible. It's the kind of thing that would be called broken or game-ruining in other titles.

You can just skip the whole section by pulling in one direction or something.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

Best US Huey round 3
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 03:07:51 AM »
I would like to see how many votes Ninja Spirit would get if the requirement for voting for it is clearing the game without cheating.

How does one cheat in Ninja Spirit?  Are you talking about the Level Select code?

The last stage has you jump down a long pit of ninjas that kill you in one or two hits. Most people find it to be impossible. It's the kind of thing that would be called broken or game-ruining in other titles.

I don't consider that cheating: the designers clearly created a clear path for the player to use. It was meant to be discovered: either by accident ("Wow! Look what I just stumbled upon!") or out of frustration ("there must be another way to overcome this stage!").

This is no different than finding the corner of a screen in ________ (insert name of game here) where the player won't get hit by a boss's attack.

:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:09:30 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

johnnykonami

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 04:28:15 AM »
Oh yeah, that last drop to the final boss in Ninja Spirit was some maddening stuff.  Ninja Spirit is a game you can get really good at and like someone said earlier, your powered up weapons make you a juggernaut so long as you don't die.  It's not even as bad as something like Gradius to rebuild when you do die.  So I remember being able to just blow through that game until the Ninja drop section.  You don't have enough visibility to see the guys below you before it's too late, so even though it's a pre-defined path (it was, right?) It just felt like you had to get lucky to get through it.  And being dropped on the boss with less than full power usually!

Such a great game though, I need to do a replay soon.

esteban

Best US Huey round 3
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 04:56:17 AM »
you can't say in good conscience that you've cleared ninja spirit unless you've killed every last ninja in the ninja-pit fall.

Shush. I did that 2-3 times, ever, and it was pure luck. Honestly. I told my brothers I could get further by goofing around than trying it in earnest. SURE ENOUGH, to my amazement, I got to the boss. It seemed to take 5 years to fall, though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:58:06 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

greedostick

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »

Ahhh, it's all coming back to me. I remember that part. It was a bitch. But I remember finally making it through. There is a really simple way I figured out. But I can't remember. I might have to go back and play this game. I don't remember the last boss at all.

@ Esteban - Are you saying the CD version of R-Type is not considered as good? I just assumed it was. Is it because of the music? I thought it would be better.

fragmare

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »
Jesus, guys... the ninja pit fall isn't that bad.  Just fall off the ledge, immediately start moving left, fall between the two ninjas you see and then hug the left wall, about one sprite width away from it.  You don't get touched

johnnykonami

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
Jesus, guys... the ninja pit fall isn't that bad.  Just fall off the ledge, immediately start moving left, fall between the two ninjas you see and then hug the left wall, about one sprite width away from it.  You don't get touched

Yeah, but how much trial and error did it take you to find that out?  It's been many years but I remember having to try many times before I got it down.