Author Topic: Dungeon Explorer Passwords  (Read 470 times)

Galder

Dungeon Explorer Passwords
« on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Hi guys! Recently I bought a dungeon explorer for my turbo express. Because of the fact though that the screen is so small I can't seem to type the password right ;'[ Can someone please give me the passwords of the game or even the one after the first boss? I've searched in the internet but I can't find any others apart from the cheat ones. The one I think it was is : ADBFDGNFJC. It is right after you kill the first boss but when I type it in my TE it reads 'password error' and drives me crazy lol. Thanks!

edit: Forgot to say that the character does not matter, whatever you guys have would be great :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:50:40 PM by Galder »

NightWolve

Re: Dungeon Explorer Passwords
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:57:35 PM »
http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=1598

There's the stage select code:

Stage Select
ATS: I, II, I, II, II, I, II, I, I, I

Could just try that to get you passed the first boss. I say, keep at it, these games are short when you get down to it, so why try to skip through parts via cheats ?

Galder

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »
http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=1598

There's the stage select code:

Stage Select

Could just try that to get you passed the first boss. I say, keep at it, these games are short when you get down to it, so why try to skip through parts via cheats ?

Thank you for your reply!

I am not sure what does this mean:

Stage Select

What is the ATS?

NightWolve

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:25:53 AM »
Probably At Title Screen, press buttons: I, II, I, II, II, I, II, I, I, I.

Galder

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
Nothing happens. I've tried it in other parts of the game too but it seems to do nothing. I've also tried to disable the auto of these buttons too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:34:48 AM by Galder »

NightWolve

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:40:29 AM »
Here's the full cheat stuff from an old page from btgarner. You can download and keep it, it has everything.

http://www.ysutopia.net/special/nec-cheats.html

InvincibilityEnter the password "DEBDE/DEBDA" then press RUN+I. At "PASSWORD ERROR" press II and choose a character. Will also enable movement through most obstacles.
Second EndingEnter invincibility mode (above) then instead of choosing a character enter a password that will take you to a point in the game after Natas steals the Orb (AENIP/ BLKEE is one). Go sit on the empty throne.
Name ChangeInput CHECK NAMEA as password. This will allow you to input your name.
PrincessTo play as the Princess, JBBNJ/HDCPG or JOINJ/HFOHK
Weapon ControlEnter HOMIN GAAAA for your password
Stage SelectWith invincibility code entered, walk into one of 15 bushes in front of Axis Castle. 1 is the left-most bush,15 is the farthest right.

1. Natas
2. Balamous Tower
3. Rotterroad (path to  Judas)
4. Mistose Dungeon
5. Ratonix Dungeon
6. Reraport Maze
7. Rally Maze
8. Bullbeast
9. Melba Village
10. After Gutworm
11. Nostalgia Dungeon
12. Water Castle
13. Road to Cherry Tower
14. Stonefield
15. Karma Castle
Hidden CharsPlay a one player game with the Bard, get over 50 HP and then go into the Hermit's House (second house to the West of Axis Castle) - you will then be transformed into the Hermit (yes, your HP will drain, don't worry, you'll get it back). [alternatively, you can enter IMGAJ MDPAI to play the level 1 "Harmit" - their typo, not mine]

So, to actually stage select according to this, you start the game with the invincibility mode and you have to walk into one of the 15 bushes in front of the Axis Castle to be transported. The "choice of bush" so to speak, takes you to different places/stages. ;) Pretty atypical as far as how games usually provide a stage select cheat.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:46:24 AM by NightWolve »

Galder

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
That's a fantastic source, many thanks again.

I still need someone who has actually played the game though and has some of the non-cheating passwords. Unfortunately, the tiny turbo express' screen makes it impossible for me to figure out the correct password. Any dungeon explorers out there???  :mrgreen:

EDIT:

This is by the way the password. In my eyes it looks as :  ADBFD GNFJC. However the turbo express gives me a 'password error'. Does anyone wanna try and guess? :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:54:00 AM by Galder »

NightWolve

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 12:47:59 AM »
Just do the invincibility cheat listed above and plow through stage 1. Stop at stage 2 or whatever, get your own password code, and restart the game which probably would disable it, let you play normally from then on. That'd be one way.

EDIT: As for that screenshot, the only characters permitted are A thru P, so... It does look like "ADBFD GNFJC" to me as well... So can't help ya there.

This is one of those games that would really benefit from the 3.5" modern LCD mod... Big difference between 1989 LCDs versus 2014 LCDs and really worth the upgrade despite the misguided super retro-is-always-better, anti-modder mentality out there (recall you know who, "Arrrgggh, those mod bastards!!!!").
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:19:15 AM by NightWolve »

Galder

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 01:13:37 AM »
Just do the invincibility cheat listed above and plow through stage 1. Stop at stage 2 or whatever, get your own password code, and restart the game which probably would disable it, let you play normally from then on. That'd be one way.

EDIT: As for that screenshot, the only characters permitted are A thru P, so... It does look like "ADBFD GNFJC" to me as well... Can't help ya there.

This is one of those games that would really benefit from the 3.5" modern LCD mod... Big difference between 1989 LCDs versus 2014 LCDs despite the misguided super retro-is-always-better, anti-modder rhetoric out there (e.g. "Argh, those mod bastards!").

Hehe... well, your idea was good but unfortunately when I went to the second bush for the next stage, retrieved the password and wrote it back (the TE identified it this time! :D) the first boss was still alive lol... I am doomed... ;D

NightWolve

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 01:16:17 AM »
Hahahahaha! Well, c'mon dude, just learn how to beat him! ;)

esteban

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 01:30:16 AM »
Sadly, most games with passwords are a problem on TE.

I agree with NightWolve....older is not better when it comes to reading the damn screen.  Ha!

YOUR NEXT CHALLENGE: try playing Tricky Kick on TurboExpress. CRAZY.
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:54 AM »
I agree with NightWolve....older is not better when it comes to reading the damn screen.  Ha!

Yeah, that mentality is misguided. This situation is a 1989 LCD versus a 2014 LCD plus a 240p signal and there's a clear objective winner when it comes to just that comparison.

Now when it comes to a retro CRT TV versus LCD TV and what happens with a retro 240p signal, yes, the game looks much more attractive on your retro, X-Ray-producing CRT. Maybe these newer LCD HDTVs with like 240 Hz refresh rates instead of 60 Hz will look much better, minus scanlines, but so far, when it comes to a 240p signal (given the resolution the retro system will always operate on), a CRT looks much better which is why we still think they should be kept around despite those extra fun X-rays, extra heat, higher power consumption, heaviness, more space needs, etc. ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:43:00 AM by NightWolve »

Galder

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 01:51:03 AM »
This is crazy... first of all after 1 million tries i figured out that the correct pass was : ADBFD GNPJC. So the last F was actually a P. But the crazyness comes to the fact that it does not always work. Sometimes it does and others it does not.Most of them it does not. Like 99.9%... A warrior bug? PROBABLY GRRRRRR.... ;p

esteban

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 03:47:37 AM »

Yeah, that mentality is misguided. This situation is a 1989 LCD versus a 2014 LCD plus a 240p signal and there's a clear objective winner when it comes to just that comparison.

Now when it comes to a retro CRT TV versus LCD TV and what happens with a retro 240p signal, yes, the game looks much more attractive on your retro, X-Ray-producing CRT. Maybe these newer LCD HDTVs with like 240 Hz refresh rates instead of 60 Hz will look much better, minus scanlines, but so far, when it comes to a 240p signal (given the resolution the retro system will always operate on), a CRT looks much better which is why we still think they should be kept around despite those extra fun X-rays, extra heat, higher power consumption, heaviness, more space needs, etc. ;)

Well, in general, I actually prefer using stock TurboExpress with an original screen because I like experiencing it. The whole point, for me, is that I am seeing this (now ancient) technology going strong and still VERY CAPABLE of providing entertainment.

Sadly, the original hardware has its limitations, so it won't provide a good experience with some games. This sucks, but it is not significant enough to ruin my *overall* experience with TurboExpress.

In the past, I have made a distinction between two categories:

Purity #1 = capturing "original" experience, flaws and all.

Purity #2 = purity of video/audio signal

I am firmly entrenched in camp #1...I will gladly accept the flaws of composite video on my CRT. I love using a real controller and an actual console...but I see the display as an equal partner. Likewise, for TurboExpress, that ancient LCD is the one I want, flaws and all.

I love comparing all the hardware in its "natural" (stock) state. I have the original Gameboy and I still play it, with some games, blurry screen and all, because I love seeing how later incarnations of the Gameboy improved (somewhat). I love comparing Lynx vs. Gameboy vs. Nomad vs. GameGear vs. TurboExpress.

This is the sort of thing I really enjoy.

Now, in my fantasy world, I would also love to have an extra set of hardware that was modded, because I am curious to see and experience all of the enhancements that have been developed over the years.

Since I can't afford to have both stock and modded versions of all my handhelds/consoles, I gotta go with my heart.

I still love you, of course.

And I hope to try at least *some* of the mods in the future.

:)

NOTE: I still listen to records and cassettes. They have hiss, noise, scratches. It would infuriate the "purity of audio/video signal" folks.

NOTE NOTE: We all will draw (slightly?) different lines when categorizing the "original" "natural" or "stock" version of hardware...but I think my Purity #1 vs. Purity #2 is still useful and valid.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:57:31 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 04:32:33 AM »
Fairy enough, I can understand you want a "time machine" experience and to play it exactly as it was, to see the 1989 LCD still going strong and what not, but in this particular case, it's kind of silly. Those stock screens were bad out of the box, stuck pixels and all, and objectively 2014 LCDs look so much better, while still being the same technology in principle. Win-win for an upgrade I say.

How about this: Do you like the "retro" capacitors from 1989 or would you rather replace 'em with ones from 2014 ? ;)

I will happily get rid of my CRT if a LCD HDTV can produce a much better picture when it comes to a retro console that I still value, but as it stands, when it comes to displaying an analog 240p video signal, the CRT still wins and that, and only that, is why retro is better when it comes to CRT. No thanks to "retro" X-Rays along with more heat, more power, more space, etc. if not for simply still being able to produce better pictures for your retro gaming.

You know, I actually like watching my DVDs on my 32" CRT too versus this 26" 720p LCD I have found. Even with a HDMI connection, it's kinda sucky versus using my CRT with YPbPr... It's a cheap model, so probably why. These new pricey 240 Hz refresh rate models probably move things way forward for LCD/LED so I suspect we'll be seeing less and less complaints about the technology, especially for gaming.