Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 9080 times)

Jibbajaba

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
Although some of the smack-talk in this thread is a little over the top , I think most is somewhat constructive criticism . It's just blown a little bit out of proportion for the sake of humor. It's fun to roast someone. Pansies need to lighten up a little

The only thing that I thought was over-the-top was making fun of his personal appearance.  It's fine to say that you don't like his videos, but making fun of his teeth is grade school playground shit.

poponon

« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »

The only thing that I thought was over-the-top was making fun of his personal appearance.  It's fine to say that you don't like his videos, but making fun of his teeth is grade school playground shit.

I can agree with you on that. Didn't see that post at first

mackdanger

« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »
As much as I rag on unboxing and pickup videos, in all honestly, I don't really have much of a problem with them. If people want to show off their crap, do it. When I get irritated is when people take a "look at all my shit" video and disguise it as an information / commentary video. Someone standing with a big pile of expensive crap and spitting a bunch of uninformed nonsense is usually a dead giveaway.

It's only a matter of time before most of these guys run out of things to talk about. There are only so many times the same Wikipedia level factoids about release dates and shit like that can be repackaged and re-uploaded before people realize they are watching different people say the same things. Hidden gems? Nothing is hidden anymore and it's been that way for a long time.

I want to make it clear that although metal guy is the topic of the thread, I am just talking about YT Gaming in general here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:38:33 AM by mackdanger »
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

HailingTheThings

« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »

NightWolve

« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »
Although some of the smack-talk in this thread is a little over the top , I think most is somewhat constructive criticism . It's just blown a little bit out of proportion for the sake of humor. It's fun to roast someone. Pansies need to lighten up a little

Yeah, I agree. I think the "OMG, he SO SO *RUINS* my faith in humanity!!!" is over the top in response to some gamer who makes Youtube videos that seems nice enough. I'd understand more if he was confrontational, flips people the bird in his videos, trash talks, like say AlphaOmegaSin or something. You start taking on political issues or something, it gets understandably divisive, ugly, etc. But yeah, I get that it's done for part humorous effect and so forth.

To me, he just looks annoying I guess and I just avoid his stuff. Personally, I like AVGN, GameSack and a little HappyConsoleGamer once in a blue moon.

esteban

« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »

This thread and the Tobias thread ruin my faith in PCEFX.

Hell yes.
  |    | 

DarkKobold

« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2015, 05:50:12 AM »

I really wonder what some of these guys make in ad revenue.  It must be a sliding scale.  I know how much I make, and if I extrapolate it out based on the number of views that these guys have compared to what I have (which is orders of magnitude less) it still ain't that much money.  Unfortunately it seems like the first rule of YouTube ad revenue is that you don't talk about YouTube ad revenue.  Which I think is because we all assume that these guys are making more than they actually are, and they obviously don't want to admit it (and I wouldn't blame them.)

Edit 2: Maybe I'm wrong.  Metal Jesus' most watched video is a top 10 (lol) of PSX/PS2 games, which got about 750,000 views.  If I take that and mutliply it by the per-view amount of money that my top-viewed video has, then he would have made almost $1200 on that vid.  In case anyone is wondering, my top-viewed video has made me $9.40 so far.  Retirement, here I come.

It is a sliding scale. According to what I've read, it can go as high as $10 per 1000 views. I don't think MJR makes that much, but the average is still pretty high.

http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-stars-cpm/

That shitty Rondo of Blood video, with Mike "Turbographic" Matei has 491k views. If we assume that the average is $7.60, as most articles are reporting, they made close to $4k off that one video. This seems like the average for one of their weekly "Let's Play" videos... Which, since they are doing it weekly, is around $200,000 per year. This doesn't even include the "nerd" videos, which draw millions of views.
Hey, you.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2015, 06:19:02 AM »
Wow, if the average is $7.60 per 1,000 views then I must be doing something seriously wrong because I'm getting a fraction of that.  Is it because I don't overlay ads?  I only have the ad at the beginning of the video.  Overlaid ads piss me off as a viewer so I'm not going to subject the people who watch my videos to that shit.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:19 AM »
I predict one of two things.   Either he got a copy of Magical Chase, and the "guru" Carlos comes back on so that they can say a few factually incorrect things read from a page pf notes, or he got Tobias' repro sets and is going to do a video review.  My only question is how Joe factors in to all of this.

Hahaha! No to both. But I could see Reggie popping in with those repros some day. I don't factor into any of it, I just happen to know what he's up to. In fact he hadn't even shot the episode until last night, AFTER I posted about it. It's like I can see the future!

Quote from: Dark Kobold
It is a sliding scale. According to what I've read, it can go as high as $10 per 1000 views. I don't think MJR makes that much, but the average is still pretty high.

Just go to www.socialblade.com and type in a channel name to get an extremely rough estimate of what they make. Their figures aren't entirely accurate and they tend to go from the extremely low end to the high end. It's only a guess that doesn't really take into account what types of ads may play on a given channel.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:13:39 AM by Joe Redifer »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
I predict one of two things.   Either he got a copy of Magical Chase, and the "guru" Carlos comes back on so that they can say a few factually incorrect things read from a page pf notes, or he got Tobias' repro sets and is going to do a video review.  My only question is how Joe factors in to all of this.
Hahaha! No to both. But I could see Reggie popping in with those repros some day. I don't factor into any of it, I just happen to know what he's up to. In fact he hadn't even shot the episode until last night, AFTER I posted about it. It's like I can see the future!

Hmmm.  I really can't imagine what he could do that would bother me that much.  You just had me wondering what it could be that would make everyone lose their shit here.  Maybe his top-10 rarest games?  I'll just have to wait until next month.

It's not that I *hate* his videos or anything.  I've watched a bunch of them.  It's just obvious that he is following a formula in order to maximize ad revenue.  The best channels do that, but don't make it obvious. 

DarkKobold

« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
Wow, if the average is $7.60 per 1,000 views then I must be doing something seriously wrong because I'm getting a fraction of that.  Is it because I don't overlay ads?  I only have the ad at the beginning of the video.  Overlaid ads piss me off as a viewer so I'm not going to subject the people who watch my videos to that shit.

I think its based on your number of subscribers/anticipated views. You'd have to grow your viewer base quite a bit probably, to get closer to the average.

I do think that MJR makes more money and gets more views simply because he is constantly producing "content." He's got a video per week coming out, so that keeps him relevant and on people's youtube homepage. The downside, as has been hashed out repeatedly in this thread, is that the content suffers from a lack of quality in the information department. He's probably far from doing this as a sole source of income, (i.e. he has a real job), so he doesn't spend much time researching or vetting his "gurus."

It seems like, in the Web 2.0 model (ugh, I feel dirty saying that) less actually isn't more... more is more.
Hey, you.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »

I think its based on your number of subscribers/anticipated views. You'd have to grow your viewer base quite a bit probably, to get closer to the average.

I do think that MJR makes more money and gets more views simply because he is constantly producing "content." He's got a video per week coming out, so that keeps him relevant and on people's youtube homepage. The downside, as has been hashed out repeatedly in this thread, is that the content suffers from a lack of quality in the information department. He's probably far from doing this as a sole source of income, (i.e. he has a real job), so he doesn't spend much time researching or vetting his "gurus."

It seems like, in the Web 2.0 model (ugh, I feel dirty saying that) less actually isn't more... more is more.

I definitely agree that in my particular case, I do not upload videos often enough, which is mostly due to laziness (which for many reasons, I need to curb.)  That's only part of the equation with YouTube, though.  They place a heavy premium on "audience retention", which is a fancy way to say "how long do your viewers watch one of your videos?".  If everyone is cutting out when its like halfway done, your retention numbers don't look that great, and YT doesn't promote your content as much.  That's why "top 10" and "hidden gems" videos tend to do well.  People keep watching to see what game will come up next.  If you just make a video about Game X, the viewer knows that the entire video is covering that one topic, and they minute they get bored, they bail.  As a viewer, I am plenty guilty of that myself.

slinkyturd

« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »

Teeth are completely fair game. If he weren't in the video and was just a voice over I'd agree with both of you, but I have to stare at his goofy stupid troll face in every video. Looks are fair game.
70/95 US Turbochips

poponon

« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »

Teeth are completely fair game. If he weren't in the video and was just a voice over I'd agree with both of you, but I have to stare at his goofy stupid troll face in every video. Looks are fair game.

Constructive

galam

« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »

Agreed. If you put your mug in a youtube video, prepare for whatever is said. Nobody made you do it.