Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 8963 times)

Gentlegamer

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #345 on: April 12, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »
some person from NEC I dunno.

How about Jonathan "Johnny Turbo" Brandstetter from TTI

Joe Redifer

« Reply #346 on: April 12, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
That would rule. He also worked for Sega after that so it would be a 2-for-1 guest.

bozo55

« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »
Ironically enough I was surfing youtube last night and one of his videos popped up into my suggestions feed. It was for Mario Hidden Gems and I was curious so I clicked it. Did you know Super Mario Land 2 and Super Mario Sunshine are hidden gems? WOW! WHO KNEW?!

I have vowed to myself never to watch that video, and after reading that I'm even more glad that I didn't. I suppose Metal Grey Jesus Geriatric Edition will be covering New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D Land on Mario Hidden Gems 2 in 2030.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »
Johnny Turbo worked for FEKA?!?!

esteban

« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »

Sega-CD, in fact. JB = FEKA
  |    | 

Mzo

« Reply #350 on: April 12, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »
Ian is a manager at one of the Luna Games stores in San Diego. People generally find him more interesting than Pat and I think that's why his podcast has any degree of success.

I've listened to those podcasts from time to time and it's definitely 99% because of Ian.

The only other person I respect (outside of Game Sack, of course) in that entire group is Roo.  Wish he made more videos =[

mackdanger

« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
This is definitely a thing on YouTube and on Podcasts.  You get these shows run by a member of this new generation of kids who are into old games, and they just try too hard to establish credibility. 

Now we're getting somewhere...
Just recently I was searching for a Wizard of Wor video for a 3-D modelling project. For the record, I used to jam on some Wizard of Wor, and it was one of the games I used to play co-op with my dad. So in my search results, a Wor video pops up authored by AVGN's bottom bitch. The first thing he says is something like, "Back in my day WoW meant Wizard of Wor, not World of Warcraft" or some shit like that. If the info on his age is correct, that fool was 1 year old when Wor came out. The frequency with which they changed out arcade machines at the time, meant that when he was finally old enough to go to an arcade and remember the experience, the odds of Wor still being there were almost nil.

Don't get me wrong. If some snot nose comes along, picks up an old copy of Contra and really enjoys it, well that's just fine. What the "come lately's" and the posers need to realize, however, is that their opinions will always be worth less than the opinion of someone who was there. Like music, movies, t.v. shows, and toys, video games are cultural artifacts. They are products of a specific time that encapsulated the trends, fads, and attitudes contained within. I can pick up a CD of Vietnam War era protest music, and maybe even enjoy it. I am, however, unable to enjoy or understand it the same way someone from that era is able to understand it. Their connection will always be by default, much stronger than mine. For me to stomp around grousing about Ho Chi Minh and LBJ would be comically stupid.

Just in case, if anyone is thinking about throwing out the word "elitist" after reading this, I suggest you don't. Elitist is another word that has been ruined by the internet because dummies don't understand what it means. My position is neither elitist nor even exclusionary. To clarify, I am not saying the kiddies can't play. I am saying that they cannot understand these things the way that I do and they shouldn't pretend that they can. 

The people who talk about their torment and how they were ostracized for being nerds for playing video games are probably mostly exaggerating as well. I am not saying it didn't happen, I just don't think it was as widespread or severe as a lot of people say it was. You can see evidence in the news reports and sales figures from the time. Arcades were always packed, the home console and PC gaming market were huge for the time. I was in junior high when Zelda came out, and the person who told me about the hidden rupee island was the quarterback for the football team. I am willing to bet that a good number of these "tormented" cut off and segregated themselves, rather than the other way around.
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

Gentlegamer

« Reply #352 on: April 12, 2015, 05:50:50 PM »
I was ostracized for being a D&D nerd, not for video games.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #353 on: April 12, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

Sega-CD, in fact. JB = FEKA

I don't know if he worked on the Sega CD, but he was definitely there for the 32X launch. He worked on Star Wars Arcade and Doom of I recall.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2015, 12:48:42 AM »
My heart jumped when PuhBuhGee was mentioned. Adventure, yaaay!

Srsly, I like his goofiness. And his videos are edited pretty well to my uneducated eye.

When thinking of Pat, I think his first reviews had good intentions, but he didn't improved much. When he flooded his channel with podcasts, I quit my subscription.

Thinking of Bucci, his early Turbo reviews began similar, but he improved a lot over time and he gives me the feeling that he know what he's talking about. I just wish he'd do RGB or component video, but well, at least for me his style remains more true to the original experience than simply  relying on emulation.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:08:49 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Joe Redifer

« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »
Chris Bucci is amazing.

bozo55

« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
Hell they have that Arin Egoraptor guy who rarely provides anything useful simply because he is popular. Watch the upcoming Castlevania segment. He's in there just because he's him but what he says adds nothing to anything and is just a waste of time. He almost always complains about the games he talks about. If you were to watch his raw footage, you'd realize just how high he was when it was recorded.
Geez Louise.  What an insult to Castlevania having that guy on.  I just watched that segment and Joe is not exaggerating.  I don't even see how anyone could have found him funny either (and I find Game Grumps to be mildly entertaining).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:25:53 AM by bozo55 »

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »
Chris Bucci is amazing.

Best Turbo Reviewer, big Pinball fan too. 

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2015, 12:39:50 AM »
Chris Bucci is amazing.

Best Turbo Reviewer, big Pinball fan too.

I live vicariously through his pinball vids. They are also excellent.

toymachine78

« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2015, 02:10:29 PM »
Hell they have that Arin Egoraptor guy who rarely provides anything useful simply because he is popular. Watch the upcoming Castlevania segment. He's in there just because he's him but what he says adds nothing to anything and is just a waste of time. He almost always complains about the games he talks about. If you were to watch his raw footage, you'd realize just how high he was when it was recorded.
Geez Louise.  What an insult to Castlevania having that guy on.  I just watched that segment and Joe is not exaggerating.  I don't even see how anyone could have found him funny either (and I find Game Grumps to be mildly entertaining).
I the thought the guy from game chasers appeared high. Glassy eyes. The other guy just sounded like an idiot.