Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 8932 times)

esteban

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »

Only thing worse than Metal Jesus: twenty-six pages of people talking about Metal Jesus.

Tell me more...

|    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »

Only thing worse than Metal Jesus: twenty-six pages of people talking about Metal Jesus.

Tell me more...

Damnit Esteban, now we're at 27 pages.
--DragonmasterDan

Dicer

« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
I told youtube to hide this mess from my view, and still he manages to crawl into my lists now and again...ugh.

Maybe it's because of this very thread...

mickcris

« Reply #393 on: April 22, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
He appeared on my toast this morning.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #394 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
Anyone catch the goatee that he's sporting now?  I think it's an attempt at chin definition.  Sorry, I know that's mean...

HailingTheThings

« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
Anyone catch the goatee that he's sporting now?  I think it's an attempt at chin definition.  Sorry, I know that's mean...

I think it looks good. So much so that I'm willing to overlook all his past indiscretions. Yay!

#Party

NightWolve

« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
AVGN is a flawed show, but it often manages to be entertaining, DESPITE ITSELF.

I would tell most folks: watch it and decide for yourself. Look past the obvious stupidity and you will find some genuinely creative and entertaining moments. However, everyone's crap:quality ratio is different, and you might not be able to tolerate all the crap.

The key problem is that Rolfe is not convincing in his role as AVGN—he tries way too hard to drink and curse and be revolting...but he simply cannot pull off this character.

So, instead of enjoying the juvenile antics of the AVGN, I always found myself cringing: "Wow, this is just painful to watch. I feel so embarrassed for this guy." I feel the same way when AVGN is gross and shocking without any wit or purpose. Let's be clear: any idiot can conceive and create vulgar/revolting content—that takes zero talent. However, I do respect folks who produce genuinely engaging/creative content, and Rolfe *certainly* does this, too.

My problem, I guess, is that his quality:crap (literally) ratio could easily be higher. Easily. I can't help but feel that he spent years pandering to the lowest-common-denominator audience, simply to appeal to the widest audience possible (this is the approach of all mainstream media, of course...Rolfe simply operated on a smaller scale).

Thankfully, if you can stomach the tripe forced upon you in every episode, AVGN usually rewards you and can be genuinely funny. And creative.

FOR THE RECORD, I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT NOSTALGIA CRITIC, except that Nostalgia Critic is has vastly superior critiques (compared to AVGN) that are well-reasoned and supported with evidence. Even though I often disagree with Nostalgia Critic, I respect the way he presents and supports his arguments...he has a focus (thesis or narrative) and sticks to it. The show has struck a wonderful balance between seriousness:entertainment.

It's entertainment, first and foremost, but there are deeper levels, too.

AVGN never consistently reached this level of critique.

I'll stop now...

It's a fair criticism.

AVGN reviews The Toxic Avenger, with special guest Lloyd Kaufman, founder of Troma

:lol: :lol:

You were sayin', este ?

Dicer

« Reply #397 on: April 23, 2015, 01:30:40 AM »
Ugh...

Jibbajaba

« Reply #398 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:36 AM »
How does that guy have over 50k subscribers?!?

Black Tiger

« Reply #399 on: April 23, 2015, 06:31:16 AM »
Ugh...

'Someone just handed me this console that I don't really know much about, so I'm just gonna make it all up on the fly and post this as an informative video'.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #400 on: April 23, 2015, 06:58:19 AM »
I don't care for that guy. He talks waaaaaay too much and it takes him forever to get to the point. His views are also extremely questionable. He was reviewing a SCART RGB to HDMI converter and he was so enamored by it it wasn't even funny. Looking for a solution myself I tried it, got the same exact thing in and it just wasn't good enough. Maybe he has low standards I don't know. It took close to a half hour of him talking about it (or at least it seemed like it) before he even actually tried it. I ended up just going with the Framemeister for recording a lot of Game Sack instead of some cheap Chinese piece of crap.

mickcris

« Reply #401 on: April 23, 2015, 07:33:23 AM »
people seem to love him for some reason.  like this:
https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?54494-A-youtuber-who-i-recommend-Adam-Koralik

My guess is its mostly younger kids watching him.  I have watched some of his videos and he does seem to ramble on and have no clue what hes talking about a lot of the time.  He has one video where he teaches people how to disable the NES10 chip by jamming a screwdriver behind the leg and popping the leg off.  He really should not be recommending people do that.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:37:03 AM by mickcris »

Dicer

« Reply #402 on: April 23, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »
I don't care for that guy. He talks waaaaaay too much and it takes him forever to get to the point. His views are also extremely questionable. He was reviewing a SCART RGB to HDMI converter and he was so enamored by it it wasn't even funny. Looking for a solution myself I tried it, got the same exact thing in and it just wasn't good enough. Maybe he has low standards I don't know. It took close to a half hour of him talking about it (or at least it seemed like it) before he even actually tried it. I ended up just going with the Framemeister for recording a lot of Game Sack instead of some cheap Chinese piece of crap.

Is it wrong I read each and every one of your posts in that game sack voice?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #403 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
Well if I were to read my own posts out loud they'd sound identical, so no.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #404 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
Well if I were to read my own posts out loud they'd sound identical, so no.

Where you referencing Metal Jesus or that other guy who likes to ramble about the Tg-16 and pop the pins off NeS systems with a screwdriver?