Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 9112 times)

GoldenWheels

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2015, 03:14:38 AM »
If you like and watch, the easiest way to support is by letting the ads play. Turn your speakers down or something while they play.

Do channels not get ad revenue if you skip (where allowed) the commercial?

warpig227

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2015, 05:28:34 AM »
i personally enjoy his videos. he's not the most knowledgeable but that's youtube. anyone can make videos about whatever they want. doesnt matter really what they say. i watch him for the laugh factor. i get a kick out of the goofiness

Jibbajaba

« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32:46 AM »
i personally enjoy his videos. he's not the most knowledgeable but that's youtube. anyone can make videos about whatever they want. doesnt matter really what they say. i watch him for the laugh factor. i get a kick out of the goofiness

I like the goofiness, as well.  I liked his earlier videos when it was him and Drunken Master Paul and it seemed more like they were making videos for the fun of it.  Much like Game Sack (in this one sense only), they just looked like a couple of guys that I would like to hang out and play games with.  I just think his channel jumped the shark when it became (ostensibly) his primary income stream.  Although I think that was probably his goal from the start (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

DarkKobold

« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »

I definitely agree that in my particular case, I do not upload videos often enough, which is mostly due to laziness (which for many reasons, I need to curb.)  That's only part of the equation with YouTube, though.  They place a heavy premium on "audience retention", which is a fancy way to say "how long do your viewers watch one of your videos?".  If everyone is cutting out when its like halfway done, your retention numbers don't look that great, and YT doesn't promote your content as much.  That's why "top 10" and "hidden gems" videos tend to do well.  People keep watching to see what game will come up next.  If you just make a video about Game X, the viewer knows that the entire video is covering that one topic, and they minute they get bored, they bail.  As a viewer, I am plenty guilty of that myself.

That is interesting, I didn't know that about Youtube. I guess if that is the way the game is played...

I guess it comes down to what you are trying to achieve and what your priorities are. If you want to be a big Youtube name with a large revenue stream, then you probably have to play the game. You have to start making content faster and more often, advertise/spam your videos on forums, facebook, and etc. You'd also benefit by sucking-up to the big name Youtubers. You could get more subscriptions by showing up on shows like MJR, Game Chasers, AVGN, and Game Sack, then having them link to your channel in that video. You could focus on top-10 videos, which force full watches. That said, if you are just interested in producing quality content that appeals to a small audience, without regard to revenue or popularity, then none of that earlier bullshit matters.

As a total aside, I don't understand why the big twitch.tv streamers are as big as they are. I mainly watch speedrunners... People like CalebHart, Cosmo, and Cirno are not particularly compelling as individuals... yet these people are making a ton of cash as a streamer. Its even crazier for Heartstone or Darkstone or whatever it is streamers. They can be making $50k a month in donations...
Hey, you.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
If you like and watch, the easiest way to support is by letting the ads play. Turn your speakers down or something while they play.

I'm not sure. I'd think that they'd get at least something but not as much as if you let the entire ad play. But again I'm not really sure. I'll have to ask Ryan next time I think of it.

VenomMacbeth

Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:28 PM »
Anyone on here ever watch Continue?  It's pretty fun, just three dudes playing retro games & deciding if they want to "continue" or "game over".  The Metal Warriors and Sky Kid episodes are a couple of my faves.  Smoke space weed everyday!
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

HailingTheThings

« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
Anyone on here ever watch Continue?  It's pretty fun, just three dudes playing retro games & deciding if they want to "continue" or "game over".  The Metal Warriors and Sky Kid episodes are a couple of my faves.  Smoke space weed everyday!

ABS

Always Be Shootin!!!

That show is fun, been watching for years. Can't wait for their new show "Smart Guys" to air.

xelement5x

« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »

I'm not sure. I'd think that they'd get at least something but not as much as if you let the entire ad play. But again I'm not really sure. I'll have to ask Ryan next time I think of it.

I would be interested to know.  I skip Youtube ads ALL the time and as soon as possible, but I figured the person was still getting some amount for just agreeing to show ads in their videos.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

GoldenWheels

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2015, 01:40:20 AM »

I would be interested to know.  I skip Youtube ads ALL the time and as soon as possible, but I figured the person was still getting some amount for just agreeing to show ads in their videos.

Me too--if it's partial or no payment for skipping, I would do as Joe says, at least for the channels I really like...let it play and do something else for 60 secs.

poponon

« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2015, 07:47:55 AM »
I noticed that since we were talking about lukemorse a while ago, he hasn't posted any videos. Coincidence or is he a lurker???

If you're lurking - your vids are great, I especially enjoy your "living in japan" type videos. Was informative for someone interested in working in Japan

toymachine78

« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »
I noticed that since we were talking about lukemorse a while ago, he hasn't posted any videos. Coincidence or is he a lurker???

If you're lurking - your vids are great, I especially enjoy your "living in japan" type videos. Was informative for someone interested in working in Japan
I like Luke's videos, especially the repair vids. The latest two, 50 game intros strung together into one hour monstrosities, are complete Gar-bitch. I don't really care for his biking videos either.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »
One thing I am not a fan of with the "demonstration of a thing" videos, is when people hold the camera.

buy a goddamn tripod.  this isn't a middle school movie project.    It sucks when you show something off and it's wobbly or slanted.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

poponon

« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »

I like Luke's videos, especially the repair vids. The latest two, 50 game intros strung together into one hour monstrosities, are complete Gar-bitch. I don't really care for his biking videos either.

Yeah I agree those video's are pretty lackluster. I think if he wanted to upload the intro's to each game , he should have made each game a different video. I think it's more likely someone would be searching for a particular game intro rather than 100 @ a time

Joe Redifer

« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
So I axed my network manager about skipping the ads. He said we get paid less if someone chooses to skip after 5 seconds or whatever it is.  My network guy is reputable.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2015, 02:53:28 AM »
So I axed my network manager about skipping the ads. He said we get paid less if someone chooses to skip after 5 seconds or whatever it is.  My network guy is reputable.

Good to know Joe, on channels I actually know I want to support (the sack, TurboViews, etc) I'll let'em play and pick my nose or something in the meantime. Thanks.

Somehow I never skip those Game of War ones....wonder why.