Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 8989 times)

sirhcman

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »

MJR I've spoken with in the Atari Age chat a few times, and he seemed OK if not aloof. He was not responsive when I suggested to him to check out a game I worked on for a "hidden gems" episode.

Maybe if you would have donated some games to his collection you would have had luck getting more of a response out of him.

esteban

« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »

MJR I've spoken with in the Atari Age chat a few times, and he seemed OK if not aloof. He was not responsive when I suggested to him to check out a game I worked on for a "hidden gems" episode.

Maybe if you would have donated some games to his collection you would have had luck getting more of a response out of him.

Hahaahhahahahahahahaha.
  |    | 

toymachine78

« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
It would be better for us to be on his channel because he has more subscribers. Even if we got AVGN in one of our episodes it wouldn't make a difference. But if we got on an AVGN episode... well just look at what happened to stupid Pat.

Stupid Pat is a curious statement; I was under the assumption most people love that guy. He's a local to my area. I see him from time to time at garage sales/swap meets in my area. I also have been to the store Luna Games, the place that his friend who does podcasts with him works. Luna is the only retro videogame store in my direct area, I don't want to speak negatively of it (or them) but I am not a fan. I rarely find things at swap meets/thrift stores, but each time I've seen him he has bags full of items, so I thought my distaste for them was due to local bitterness hahah

MJR I've spoken with in the Atari Age chat a few times, and he seemed OK if not aloof. He was not responsive when I suggested to him to check out a game I worked on for a "hidden gems" episode. I didn't have distaste for him until he got the Earthbound for free, and then this fundraiser. I have no issue with a guy receiving a gift from a friend or admirer, but I don't think it does anyone a favor bragging about the conquest of free acquisition of difficult and sought after items, but to each his own and there is obviously a audience for that. I think that was his mindset "well, someone gave me a [overly valued game, say $300,] maybe I can get them to give me money directly to do this, what should the theme be..."

However, I just have a lot of issues with people asking for funding without showing a certain amount of initiative to begin with. I'll back a project where they have a prototype but need funding for full development or manufacturing in bulk, but to just fund someones "idea" is such a difficult to support proposition. I guess I am just too much of a tightwad.

I wish him the best, and actually hope this gets funded and he and his "fans" enjoy themselves, but it's not something I can get behind, support, or be involved with.
  If not aloof? He is definitely aloof!!

Punch

« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2015, 02:47:18 PM »
Pat's not so bad but he's too much of a dork (even when not in character) and it feels too forced when he attempts to do comedy on his videos. I'd rather watch anything else.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »

He pretty much just says "Hey, I decided to grow facial hair. How does it look?"

"A beard is never a substitute for a jawline, no matter how you trim it"

-Henchman #24

"Man, I can't believe that's what you look like under your costume. Hilarious! You're like Seinfeld with a unibrow. Who knew?"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
I get offers ALL THE TIME to cover indie stuff. Generally I'm not interested unless it's for retro consoles, but it's usually for PC. But anyway those offers come in so often that's it's easy to just zone out when they do.

You know what show has a similar structure and execution to Pat the NES Punk episodes? Irate Gamer. Seriously. The only thing is that Irate Gamer uses more green screen effects. Both of their shows remind me of the other for some reason.

toymachine78

« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
Pat's not so bad but he's too much of a dork (even when not in character) and it feels too forced when he attempts to do comedy on his videos. I'd rather watch anything else.
Spot on. I agree. I also hate how he splits his podcast into topics/questions now. Its solely so its easier for him to keep daily content and generate views. It's

Joe Redifer

« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
The problem with pumping out so much stuff is that videos tend to drown in everything else. So if a Pat episode comes out you may never see it hidden amongst all of the podcast episodes and whatnot. Sometimes too much is just too much. The amount of views he has on each of his videos stays relatively low as a result. Ideally he should release maybe 3 times a week, max. Game Sack would kick all sorts of ass if we released once a week instead of once every two weeks, but Dave has decided that he needs to be employed and actually make money and survive and stuff.

bozo55

« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2015, 03:04:07 AM »
Game Sack would kick all sorts of ass if we released once a week instead of once every two weeks, but Dave has decided that he needs to be employed and actually make money and survive and stuff.

You could always call back Micronet and take them up on their offer  :twisted:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:06:28 AM by bozo55 »

toymachine78

« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2015, 03:32:15 AM »
It would be better for us to be on his channel because he has more subscribers. Even if we got AVGN in one of our episodes it wouldn't make a difference. But if we got on an AVGN episode... well just look at what happened to stupid Pat.

Stupid Pat is a curious statement; I was under the assumption most people love that guy. He's a local to my area. I see him from time to time at garage sales/swap meets in my area. I also have been to the store Luna Games, the place that his friend who does podcasts with him works. Luna is the only retro videogame store in my direct area, I don't want to speak negatively of it (or them) but I am not a fan. I rarely find things at swap meets/thrift stores, but each time I've seen him he has bags full of items, so I thought my distaste for them was due to local bitterness hahah

MJR I've spoken with in the Atari Age chat a few times, and he seemed OK if not aloof. He was not responsive when I suggested to him to check out a game I worked on for a "hidden gems" episode. I didn't have distaste for him until he got the Earthbound for free, and then this fundraiser. I have no issue with a guy receiving a gift from a friend or admirer, but I don't think it does anyone a favor bragging about the conquest of free acquisition of difficult and sought after items, but to each his own and there is obviously a audience for that. I think that was his mindset "well, someone gave me a [overly valued game, say $300,] maybe I can get them to give me money directly to do this, what should the theme be..."

However, I just have a lot of issues with people asking for funding without showing a certain amount of initiative to begin with. I'll back a project where they have a prototype but need funding for full development or manufacturing in bulk, but to just fund someones "idea" is such a difficult to support proposition. I guess I am just too much of a tightwad.

I wish him the best, and actually hope this gets funded and he and his "fans" enjoy themselves, but it's not something I can get behind, support, or be involved with.
  The only part of his channel I enjoy is Drunken Master Paul. That guy can be pretty funny.  He just seems like he would be a fun guy to hang out with. I would actually like to see him spin off his Gamer Eats show into its own channel. I think it would do well.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2015, 08:02:37 AM »
The problem with pumping out so much stuff is that videos tend to drown in everything else. So if a Pat episode comes out you may never see it hidden amongst all of the podcast episodes and whatnot. Sometimes too much is just too much. The amount of views he has on each of his videos stays relatively low as a result. Ideally he should release maybe 3 times a week, max. Game Sack would kick all sorts of ass if we released once a week instead of once every two weeks, but Dave has decided that he needs to be employed and actually make money and survive and stuff.

That guy has a lot of nerve.

I tend to enjoy that the Gamesack videos feel like "shows" by length--they're well edited and all that, so they should feel like a real "show", but some 7 minute vids are well edited and all that too, they still just feel like youtube videos. Pat and CGR and that kind of stuff I like, but I watch them on my phone while dropping a deuce or eating a bowl of cereal (never both) or working on a woodworking project,  and feel like I miss nothing out of the experience.

Gamesack I sit down, I turn on the  projector and the PS3 and I watch it, doing nothing else. Id much rather have a good, "real" (to me) episode every two weeks than a rapid fire assault of random 7 minute vids.

esteban

« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

That guy has a lot of nerve.

I tend to enjoy that the Gamesack videos feel like "shows" by length--they're well edited and all that, so they should feel like a real "show", but some 7 minute vids are well edited and all that too, they still just feel like youtube videos. Pat and CGR and that kind of stuff I like, but I watch them on my phone while dropping a deuce or eating a bowl of cereal (never both) or working on a woodworking project,  and feel like I miss nothing out of the experience.

Gamesack I sit down, I turn on the  projector and the PS3 and I watch it, doing nothing else. Id much rather have a good, "real" (to me) episode every two weeks than a rapid fire assault of random 7 minute vids.

I agree. I like that we have both short-format and "longer-format" options available.

I wish there were more examples of compelling content that ran longer than 15-20 minutes...but at least we have some.

|    | 

Gredler

« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »
I get offers ALL THE TIME to cover indie stuff. Generally I'm not interested unless it's for retro consoles, but it's usually for PC. But anyway those offers come in so often that's it's easy to just zone out when they do.

You know what show has a similar structure and execution to Pat the NES Punk episodes? Irate Gamer. Seriously. The only thing is that Irate Gamer uses more green screen effects. Both of their shows remind me of the other for some reason.

I didn't intend to speak poorly of these guys. They're all very nice from my interactions and their content has an audience, and I'm happy for both parties win-win.  By aloof, I mean he was not very responsive to the conversation, albeit in a chatroom, and I am often the same in those lol.

MJR often does old generation "hidden gems" videos, and I suggested he cover a quickly but lovingly made PS2 disc release by a group of individuals that went on to immediately play important roles on games like God of War III, the Last of Us, Elder Scrolls Online, as well as other things. I thought it was a good candidate for a "hidden gem" because it was a console retail release that few would consider playing, but if you did it would be fun because it was made by a passionate group of talented people, I wish I were one of the talented ones but I was certainly passionate while working on it :P I could understand not covering indie games,but this was a retail release found in tons of bargain bins for cheap, so I thought it was worth being considered a "hidden gem". Not a diamond, maybe like a crystal or a amethyst.. hahah I just thought it'd be cool to show the guys that are working on these new AAA games peoples appreciation for the game, if there was any lol!

bozo55

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Speaking of Pat and short videos, I was wondering what Joe thinks of Retroware's format for The Video Game Years (especially since he participates in it).

I really think the show would be much better if each year was split into 2 or 3 parts instead of 4 or 5.  With each 10 minute episode, you only get roughly 8 minutes of content, and even then it's hard to call Eric's section "It should of been a video game in [insert year here]" meaningful content.  I love the show to death but they're really milking for clicks.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
Yeah, each segment of The Video Game Years should be 25-30 min.

Meanwhile, Pat publishes even shorter sub-clips of each part on his channel to fish for views.

As for "Pat the NES Punk," it's ironic, Angry Video Game Nerd is more punk, and Pat is more of an aspie nerd.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:23:28 PM by Gentlegamer »