Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 8984 times)

Jibbajaba

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »
There is a reason I don't watch much video game stuff...I am far too finicky about video games.

Well, shit.  That makes me feel lucky that you put up with my vids.  Thanks!

sirhcman

« Reply #331 on: April 11, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

I didn't even realize you had a channel until a few weeks ago. Your PS1 video is excellent and you have a great voice.. I just subscribed! :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:04:32 PM by sirhcman »

mackdanger

« Reply #332 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
There is a reason I don't watch much video game stuff...I am far too finicky about video games.

I don't watch too much video game stuff because I am around the same age as most of those guys, and there is very little they can tell me that I don't already know. Game Sack's regional differences episode is an exception. The Genesis Batman shadows had me all like  :-s

I would like to ask some YouTube questions if anyone can help me out. I am only subscribed to maybe 15 channels. However, a lot of times new videos won't make it into my feed. Also, I will look at someone I am subbed to, and it will say 10 new videos, but none of them are new. Is YT just slow, broken, or is it something I am doing? I don't always log in when I watch stuff, but even when I do, logging in later will lead to the same results. It constantly says that old videos are new. Any ideas?
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

Joe Redifer

« Reply #333 on: April 11, 2015, 06:51:02 PM »
Sometimes videos don't show up in the subscription feed. I've had that happen maybe twice to me. I'm only subscribed to maybe 10 or 15 channels as well.

Ian is a manager at one of the Luna Games stores in San Diego. People generally find him more interesting than Pat and I think that's why his podcast has any degree of success.

Lance is the guy who sounds weird. From what I have heard, one of his vocal chords is paralyzed or some such thing. I don't remember if this has always been the case or some accident happened to cause this.

Roo is currently ONLY known for the Video Game Years as he hasn't done much with his channel. I think he works at a university but I'm only guessing.

Metal Jesus has done some Video Game Years segments I think in the looooong past. I asked him about appearing a year ago and he never got back to me. Happy Console Gamer appeared at my request. We did this all behind everyone's back and I had all of his footage uploaded before I told everyone he was going to be part of 1987. But won't be appearing in any years after 1987 because he felt it just wasn't worth his time. Irate Gamer would NEVER appear because he has his own competing show or something. Also there's already too much Pat in each episode, no reason to have "other Pat" in there as well. 8-Bit Eric thinks they would never be interested in what he has to say. Alpha has considered it but would only do it if he's asked. I'm sure they'd love to have Peanut Nutter on since he's mega popular (I still have never watched him). Hell they have that Arin Egoraptor guy who rarely provides anything useful simply because he is popular. Watch the upcoming Castlevania segment. He's in there just because he's him but what he says adds nothing to anything and is just a waste of time. He almost always complains about the games he talks about. If you were to watch his raw footage, you'd realize just how high he was when it was recorded.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:53:05 PM by Joe Redifer »

esteban

« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2015, 01:31:13 AM »

I am not BS'ing...I like your videos—they are solid, reliable. Even when I am not "learning" something new, I never think it is a waste of my time, or that it is purely "entertainment" (see 99% of popular content on YouTube).

|    | 

esteban

« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2015, 01:45:49 AM »

I don't watch too much video game stuff because I am around the same age as most of those guys, and there is very little they can tell me that I don't already know. Game Sack's regional differences episode is an exception. The Genesis Batman shadows had me all like  :-s

Exactly. I know certain consoles/games very well...I am always hoping to learn something knew, or see something from a new (valid) perspective, but that is rarely the case.

However, when it comes to games/platforms that I am NOT familiar with, I have so much more fun watching a video....ignorance is bliss, after all.

Subsequently, however, after directly playing the game in question, my opinion of those "enjoyable videos" often drops because I see troubling flaws (I can live with minor flaws) in the videos I watched.

Like I said. Finicky.

|    | 

Medic_wheat

« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2015, 04:36:07 AM »
Ahhh hmm then I feel bad for what I said about Lance. I have a speech impediment that embarrasses me which is honestly one thing that really keeps me from doing videos as I do not NOT like my speaking voice.

As for 8-bit Eriic.

He totally reminds me of that guy who acts dorky so that the "cool kids" in the man group will keep you around but at the same time completely undermines and hides any talent or interesting parts of his personality in fear that the group would kick him out of guy time. Eric needs to value himself more and see himself as an equal.

As for Alpha. If they want him but he wants to be invited as not to feel like he is imposing well heck. Just go all saddy hawking and ask yourself out alpha.

Lol. "Other Pat". Sigh. Good one.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:06 AM »
Since this has become the Video Game Years topic:

I wish the show had more appearances by actual people in the industry that were involved in that era. I believe Howard Philips was in a segment and that was awesome. While generally I do like anecdotal stories, when a show like that takes such a strong a historical perspective, it feels very incomplete to not have 'primary accounts' or direct sources. I guess the idea is to go for that VH1 style, but most of the time I'm left wondering "who are you and why should I care what you have to say about this topic."

esteban

« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2015, 05:03:21 AM »

Since this has become the Video Game Years topic:

I wish the show had more appearances by actual people in the industry that were involved in that era. I believe Howard Philips was in a segment and that was awesome. While generally I do like anecdotal stories, when a show like that takes such a strong a historical perspective, it feels very incomplete to not have 'primary accounts' or direct sources. I guess the idea is to go for that VH1 style, but most of the time I'm left wondering "who are you and why should I care what you have to say about this topic."

Exactly. I can take a few goofballs commenting, but there should be at least ONE person with credibility to speak on a topic---the narrower the topic, the  deeper the knowledge/insight, the better! (Save the obvious generalities for the goofballs, let the folks who know something share something a bit more in-depth).

I feel that it won't drastically alter the format:

Generalities...for mass appeal
Tiny bits of intriguing/in-depth stuff...to appease me.

I honestly feel that the series is aimed more at younger folks who want to learn more about the past.

Also, the segment "This should have been a game" is a total waste of time. I know it is an attempt at something creative & new, but I feel the time would be better spent experimenting with different concepts...
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2015, 05:09:09 AM »
I should add that I only recently learned about Game Sack, so before that when I saw Joe on screen and in the credits I remembered him from Sega-16 and here, and knew he actually does know what he's talking about (most of the time when it isn't Nintendo). But I should have known the show is mainly about 'tubetard' e-celebs' waxing nostalgic.

esteban

« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2015, 05:13:50 AM »

I should add that I only recently learned about Game Sack, so before that when I saw Joe on screen and in the credits I remembered him from Sega-16 and here, and knew he actually does know what he's talking about (most of the time when it isn't Nintendo). But I should have known the show is mainly about 'tubetard' e-celebs' waxing nostalgic.

I am not even sure that they are waxing nostalgic. I think some of these folks pretend to have played a much wider range of games "back on the day" than they really did.

So, "waxing faux-nostalgic" ....

:)

I also want to add that now I want to watch some more Metal Jesus videos. No joke.
  |    | 

toymachine78

« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2015, 06:00:36 AM »

I think some of these folks pretend to have played a much wider range of games "back on the day" than they really did.

I've always thought this too.

sirhcman

« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
I also want to add that now I want to watch some more Metal Jesus videos. No joke.

Ironically enough I was surfing youtube last night and one of his videos popped up into my suggestions feed. It was for Mario Hidden Gems and I was curious so I clicked it. Did you know Super Mario Land 2 and Super Mario Sunshine are hidden gems? WOW! WHO KNEW?!

I am not even sure that they are waxing nostalgic. I think some of these folks pretend to have played a much wider range of games "back on the day" than they really did.

I question how old most of these guys were when most of this stuff was going on in the early and mid 80's...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:08:01 AM by sirhcman »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »

I question how old most of these guys were when most of this stuff was going on in the early and mid 80's...

This is definitely a thing on YouTube and on Podcasts.  You get these shows run by a member of this new generation of kids who are into old games, and they just try too hard to establish credibility.  There's a podcast called "Back in My Play" that I listened to the first few episodes of.  All other issues aside, I quit listening when they talked about the SNES, and the host went on about how he TOTALLY remembers the SNES launch because he was 5 years old and his mom took him to the mall where there was a Nintendo promotional event going on and after that he was all about the SNES and got LttP as soon as it came out and blah blah blah.  Like he was really trying way too hard to over-sell the fact that he was alive when the SNES came out, and it just sounded pathetic.

These younger guys should embrace the fact that they didn't grow up with this shit.  Use it.  Say that some game that we all love is actually shit because we all just have our nostalgia goggles on, or something. 

Actually, my current favorite podcast is Retro Game Squad.  The host is around my age (late 30's) so he was around for all of the games that he talks about, but his two co-hosts are younger guys who are playing for the first time a lot of the games that they feature.  But they don't try to hide that fact.  Instead what you get is the perspective of a guy who has nostalgic feelings about some of these games, and can talk about what it was like when they came out, put them into historical context, etc.  Then you have a couple of guys who are just talking about the game objectively, since this is their first time playing it.

Edit: And I will freely admit when I haven't played a game that I clearly should have back in the day.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
I wish the show had more appearances by actual people in the industry that were involved in that era.

I agree 100%. We've had the aforementioned Howard Phillips in a few segments (and a few to come). We've also had Keith Robinson from Intellivision, David Crane and Howard Scott Warshaw. I'd like to eventually get Reggie Feels-a-Man, Tom Kalinske, some person from NEC I dunno. Maybe even the f*cking Game Lord to represent SNK.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:53:11 AM by Joe Redifer »