Author Topic: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity  (Read 8937 times)

sirhcman

Re: Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #375 on: April 18, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
Honestly for every AVGN NES PUnk Metal Jeues or Apha Omega Sin I prefer the you tubers more who do not feel the need to don a persona and can simply be themselves without embellishment.

Hence why I enjoy gamesack and turbo views and such.

Pretty much this.  I don't like the guys on YT who feel the need to have a personality that isn't their own.  What you see is what you get with me, and I feel like Game Sack and CGR are the same way.

Can you please do more of the Lets Read magazine episodes? I love the nostalgia!

PS: am I the only one who watches Ancient DOS Games?

Gentlegamer

« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
I feel uncool because I have no idea who Pat the NES Punk is.  But I have also never watched an AVGN episode in my life, so I guess I'm just a loser.

Go watch some AVGN. Rolfe started before youtube was even a thing.

TR0N

« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2015, 10:22:54 PM »
I just saw the Egorator segment.

Seriously, who approved that?
I saw it wtf all he did for the castlevania segment was make fart sounds !?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:59:52 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »

I feel uncool because I have no idea who Pat the NES Punk is.  But I have also never watched an AVGN episode in my life, so I guess I'm just a loser.

I know you did not ask. Sorry. :(

But here goes...

AVGN is a flawed show, but it often manages to be entertaining, DESPITE ITSELF.

I would tell most folks: watch it and decide for yourself. Look past the obvious stupidity and you will find some genuinely creative and entertaining moments. However, everyone's crap:quality ratio is different, and you might not be able to tolerate all the crap.

The key problem is that Rolfe is not convincing in his role as AVGN—he tries way too hard to drink and curse and be revolting...but he simply cannot pull off this character.

So, instead of enjoying the juvenile antics of the AVGN, I always found myself cringing: "Wow, this is just painful to watch. I feel so embarrassed for this guy." I feel the same way when AVGN is gross and shocking without any wit or purpose. Let's be clear: any idiot can conceive and create vulgar/revolting content—that takes zero talent. However, I do respect folks who produce genuinely engaging/creative content, and Rolfe *certainly* does this, too.

My problem, I guess, is that his quality:crap (literally) ratio could easily be higher. Easily. I can't help but feel that he spent years pandering to the lowest-common-denominator audience, simply to appeal to the widest audience possible (this is the approach of all mainstream media, of course...Rolfe simply operated on a smaller scale).

Thankfully, if you can stomach the tripe forced upon you in every episode, AVGN usually rewards you and can be genuinely funny. And creative.

FOR THE RECORD, I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT NOSTALGIA CRITIC, except that Nostalgia Critic is has vastly superior critiques (compared to AVGN) that are well-reasoned and supported with evidence. Even though I often disagree with Nostalgia Critic, I respect the way he presents and supports his arguments...he has a focus (thesis or narrative) and sticks to it. The show has struck a wonderful balance between seriousness:entertainment.

It's entertainment, first and foremost, but there are deeper levels, too.

AVGN never consistently reached this level of critique.

I'll stop now...
  |    | 

toymachine78

« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:08 PM »

I know you did not ask. Sorry. :(

But here goes...

AVGN is a flawed show, but it often manages to be entertaining, DESPITE ITSELF.

I would tell most folks: watch it and decide for yourself. Look past the obvious stupidity and you will find some genuinely creative and entertaining moments. However, everyone's crap:quality ratio is different, and you might not be able to tolerate all the crap.

The key problem is that Rolfe is not convincing in his role as AVGN—he tries way too hard to drink and curse and be revolting...but he simply cannot pull off this character.

So, instead of enjoying the juvenile antics of the AVGN, I always found myself cringing: "Wow, this is just painful to watch. I feel so embarrassed for this guy." I feel the same way when AVGN is gross and shocking without any wit or purpose. Let's be clear: any idiot can conceive and create vulgar/revolting content—that takes zero talent. However, I do respect folks who produce genuinely engaging/creative content, and Rolfe *certainly* does this, too.

My problem, I guess, is that his quality:crap (literally) ratio could easily be higher. Easily. I can't help but feel that he spent years pandering to the lowest-common-denominator audience, simply to appeal to the widest audience possible (this is the approach of all mainstream media, of course...Rolfe simply operated on a smaller scale).

Thankfully, if you can stomach the tripe forced upon you in every episode, AVGN usually rewards you and can be genuinely funny. And creative.

FOR THE RECORD, I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT NOSTALGIA CRITIC, except that Nostalgia Critic is has vastly superior critiques (compared to AVGN) that are well-reasoned and supported with evidence. Even though I often disagree with Nostalgia Critic, I respect the way he presents and supports his arguments...he has a focus (thesis or narrative) and sticks to it. The show has struck a wonderful balance between seriousness:entertainment.

It's entertainment, first and foremost, but there are deeper levels, too.

AVGN never consistently reached this level of critique.

I'll stop now...
Sounds like a personal problem.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #380 on: April 19, 2015, 12:53:32 AM »
AVGN reviews The Toxic Avenger, with special guest Lloyd Kaufman, founder of Troma

toymachine78

« Reply #381 on: April 19, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »
AVGN reviews The Toxic Avenger, with special guest Lloyd Kaufman, founder of Troma

That is actually one episode of avgn I don't like. That old dude seems like a creepy pervert.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:21:00 AM by toymachine78 »

Flare65

« Reply #382 on: April 19, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »
Can someone give me a Cliff's Notes update on what happened with Metal Jesus' road trip?  I saw the video where he announced it, and the video where he justifies his request for 50K, but I never heard anything about it since.  I know a lot of people balked at his itemized spreadsheet....were there other video game forums ripping him apart over this?

toymachine78

« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Can someone give me a Cliff's Notes update on what happened with Metal Jesus' road trip?  I saw the video where he announced it, and the video where he justifies his request for 50K, but I never heard anything about it since.  I know a lot of people balked at his itemized spreadsheet....were there other video game forums ripping him apart over this?
Epic Fail is the abridged version. The campaign is still on indie, but he only collected 6K and there is only 14days left. So it would be a Jesus size miracle to make his goal. He pulled the promotion videos after 2 days. I think he caught so much shit for it he abandoned ship lol

Flare65

« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
I wonder what happens to the 6k when he doesn't  make his goal.......

sirhcman

« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »

I assume the money would get refunded to the people who donated. According to the indiegogo page the money is only paid to MJ if he makes the $50,000 goal.

toymachine78

« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »

I assume the money would get refunded to the people who donated. According to the indiegogo page the money is only paid to MJ if he makes the $50,000 goal.
I don't think it actually charges anyone until the entire goal is met. Its pretty much like a pledge to pay.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »
i figured he wouldn't make it. 50k is way too much to ask from a fan base.

esteban

Metal Jesus ruins my faith in humanity
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2015, 08:04:17 PM »
I want to see the second video...has anyone saved it/re-uploaded it?  Or would Jesus easily be able to get that removed from ToobYou...
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #389 on: April 20, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Only thing worse than Metal Jesus: twenty-six pages of people talking about Metal Jesus.