Author Topic: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs  (Read 4336 times)

bartre

A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »
So, Tobias has started with this whole PC engine boxset business.
conveniently enough, Google helped me find several places online that can do commercial pressings of CDs, along with many packaging options.
I know this has been discussed before (almost endlessly so), but who would be interested in getting some repros pressed? What games?

I'd be willing to take the duty of dealing with whatever company, as well as all the money handling.

here's the guidelines I'm thinking
1. If using some kind of patch (Ys IV dub, for example), we must get permission from the patch creator, and follow whatever terms they wish.
2. I'm not looking to make much money, if at all. These would be essentially cost + shipping + ~$1-2 for my time.

So my ideas for games-
Ys IV w/ patch(my big pick)
Dracula X w/ patch
pretty much any of the crazy high $$$ games (DEII, for example)

slinkyturd

Re: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
Finances permitting and if it were cost efficient, I'd be interested.
70/95 US Turbochips

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
I'd definitely go for stuff like Ys IV and Beyond Shadowgate, something about Drac X just doesn't sit well with me though. Maybe it's because Konami actually still releases games in the US, actually cares about the Castlevania series, and has re-released this game in the US already (PSP).

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
Like to see what the translators say, if they are good I am game!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

seieienbu

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
If you're going to do this, you should make them distinguishable at a glance from the originals. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »

The key member of the Drac X translation and Ys IV dub portion has made it very clear that he is not game and will never do another PC Engine project if you guys do this.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

bartre

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 01:37:49 AM »

The key member of the Drac X translation and Ys IV dub portion has made it very clear that he is not game and will never do another PC Engine project if you guys do this.

Is that burnt lasagna? or nightwolve?
I had not heard that.....

bartre

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:43 AM »
hmm...
if that is indeed the case, i might leave the dub alone.
the text patch was entirely a separate project though, correct? was that nightwolve?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »
I'm pro booties for cheaps.  One of these days I'll get Motteke Tamago done, then Space Fantasy Zone if someone makes tunes for it, but dealing with a certain pressing house is like getting a root canal - slow and painful.

I recall Nightwolve being okay with booties of his work for non-profit.  He even said he'd be willing to help with a separate dub using peeps that aren't anti-booty.

I think the best way to go about it would be to have the high-res print-ready graphic files freely available for download, and accompany it with a list of good print shops for the paper wares and discs.

Discs too?  Nobody will do one off pressed discs for cheap (the test discs are $250 and I doubt they'd do them without a full order), and ordering bulk discs doesn't save much money.  It's maybe half the cost, but that works out to $1 per copy, which is less than the cost of a jewel case, ink, and glossy paper to do it yourself and a tenth the cost of having it printed at a pro shop.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

KingDrool

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:30:53 AM »
It's the translations that are most appealing to me. Or the hard-to-find Japanese stuff. But if we did group-buys for translations, yes, we should get permission from those who did it.

Although, and maybe I'm crazy here, but if we did this for non-profit...what's the objection? I mean, I guess some a-hole could turn around and try to re-sell it for stupid cash on eBay. But, I don't see how a small group of fans wanting a physical copy of the game is any different than making a CDR of it.

I'm just curious to know what the big issue is.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:48:26 AM »
If I recall correctly, BL was worried about pissing off the original IP owners and having his name attached to it, which honestly doesn't make much sense to me.  If they even give a shit at all, they're gonna be pissed about the copying itself and not the patch, and the translator peeps don't have to be involved at all with the copying.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

bartre

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 03:52:15 AM »
okay, i sent PMs to nightwolve and burntlasagna; so we'll wait for their word before getting too deep there.
with Ys IV, i know that there is already a translated artset out there, does anyone happen to have it or know who made it?

and again, does anyone have experience with any CD pressing companies?

KingDrool

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 05:15:54 AM »
If another dub was to be made, and Nightwolve and the voice actors gave their blessing, this would be awesome.  In fact, re-doing the voice acting probably would be a good idea.  haha, nothing against the original actors... i couldn't do better, but, the US dub for Ys IV is closer to Ys III than it is to I & II.  Also, I'd still like to see the art / image released free for download so there will be competition in the boot seller marketplace. 

Or just subtitle the thing and be done with it.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 05:57:35 AM »
okay, i sent PMs to nightwolve and burntlasagna; so we'll wait for their word before getting too deep there.
Hey, got your pm.
Not exactly sure what else to say, but I believe I've stated what I feel about pressing discs with the dub on it.

I don't like them.

I get allot of flack for that stance, but I simply don't like hobby projects that I worked on being put out on bootleg discs.
I understand people want something "official-esque" to hold onto, however, I believe that's what the Japanese copy should be for.
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:36 AM »
If another dub was to be made, and Nightwolve and the voice actors gave their blessing, this would be awesome.  In fact, re-doing the voice acting probably would be a good idea.  haha, nothing against the original actors... i couldn't do better, but, the US dub for Ys IV is closer to Ys III than it is to I & II.  Also, I'd still like to see the art / image released free for download so there will be competition in the boot seller marketplace. 

Or just subtitle the thing and be done with it.
I thought due to memory restraints this wasn't possible?