Author Topic: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs  (Read 4306 times)

grache

Re: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
I'm in awe of the back and forth mary kate & ashley bullshit that happens on all these projects.

Why doesn't any license their work? Or at a minimum communicate their wishes to each other during production and to the rest of the world at release.
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles

slinkyturd

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2014, 12:50:37 AM »

I still however do not see what his deal is with the pressings. First, he is against something he has already done. That is taking someone's product, and doing something with it that is not what the original author would have wanted most likely. I mean, I doubt he got written consent from Falcom. Now I do respect the work Lasagna, and the others put forth in making the translation, but it seems kind of hypocritical to be against using the work he done, in a manner not intended, when he is guilty himself. It also seems completely ignorant that he never saw this coming. I mean it sounds like he is a game collector, and would understand people don't want crappy CDR's with black sharpie text on them.

My thoughts exactly!
70/95 US Turbochips

esteban

A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
This is a huge mess for sure. I guess we just need to respect Lasanga's request, and let you all settle your differences in a fair manner before moving forward. It would be nice if Lasagna would chime in and explain his stance on the situation. Hopefully he doesn't just come in with a one liner and provides some information.

I still however do not see what his deal is with the pressings. First, he is against something he has already done. That is taking someone's product, and doing something with it that is not what the original author would have wanted most likely. I mean, I doubt he got written consent from Falcom. Now I do respect the work Lasagna, and the others put forth in making the translation, but it seems kind of hypocritical to be against using the work he done, in a manner not intended, when he is guilty himself. It also seems completely ignorant that he never saw this coming. I mean it sounds like he is a game collector, and would understand people don't want crappy CDR's with black sharpie text on them.

I am not sure if he is afraid of being tied to the project if they were mass produced, in fear of getting into trouble. But that really seems like a unlikely occurrence that he would ever be sued. We are talking about creating a pressing of a never released in America CD for personal use without intent to distribute. And even if it was distributed he would not be at fault just because he made a translation. Besides, it is no worse then burning your own copy even if you do own the original. It is a myth that if you make a backup of a game you own it is not illegal. It most certainly is. Falcom will never pursue a case against anyone even if they did mass distribute this patch online in a professional pressed form. Look at all the reproduction copies of Square Enix games for Super Nintendo on eBay, and the dozens of sites that are dedicated to selling reproductions. It's been going on for years. If Square Enix isn't going to do anything, neither is Falcom.

In all honesty his concerns seem more like paranoia. We are talking about the equivalent of jay-walking in digital form. I understand his stance on owning the actual game and making a personal copy, but it is still illegal and not any better than pressing one up right. People should buy classic games, but still that stance makes little sense. These companies are still not making any money off of these games, and the bottom line is that they do not care about the American audience, so we take it into our own hands.

What's going to happen in 50 years or so when other generations want to enjoy these games? They will be disc-rotted, and non-functional. This is simply the way these classic games are going because it is inevitable that one day they will no longer work. We are simply the pioneers of an era coming in the next 50-100 years. People will look back and be grateful people like you guys did stuff like this, and make Everdrives, and clone consoles, and design custom reproduction boards for snes games.

If these companies are not going to give us what we want, then we will do it ourselves, and keep these games alive for future generations to enjoy.

OK, I got a bit off topic there. But you all know what I mean.

Comrade: if you want to enjoy a fan translation/dub,  you can. But you don't need a pressed CD to do so.

And if you *really* can't deal with a "sharpie marker" (oh the great injustice!):

http://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm

Personally, I am grateful for any translation/dub that simply *exists*...using a sharpie on a CD-R hardly seems the "great injustice" in comparison.

If you *insist* that you *must* have a pressed CD, then you are missing the entire spirit of the project

I still love you :)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:55:38 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Duo_R

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2014, 03:02:34 AM »
I want to respect the wishes of BL.

Honestly, let's pick another release for a game. Maybe another thread should be started with a poll for the top most expensive Turbo or PCE games that we would like to see pressed?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:12 AM »
I want to respect the wishes of BL.

Honestly, let's pick another release for a game. Maybe another thread should be started with a poll for the top most expensive Turbo or PCE games that we would like to see pressed?

I know, right?!
  |    | 

slinkyturd

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 03:51:38 AM »
My vote is for local girls of hawaii...the nudie ones. lol
70/95 US Turbochips

greedostick

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 04:19:56 AM »
This is a huge mess for sure. I guess we just need to respect Lasanga's request, and let you all settle your differences in a fair manner before moving forward. It would be nice if Lasagna would chime in and explain his stance on the situation. Hopefully he doesn't just come in with a one liner and provides some information.

I am not sure if he is afraid of being tied to the project if they were mass produced, in fear of getting into trouble. But that really seems like a unlikely occurrence that he would ever be sued. We are talking about creating a pressing of a never released in America CD for personal use without intent to distribute. And even if it was distributed he would not be at fault just because he made a translation. Besides, it is no worse then burning your own copy even if you do own the original. It is a myth that if you make a backup of a game you own it is not illegal. It most certainly is. Falcom will never pursue a case against anyone even if they did mass distribute this patch online in a professional pressed form. Look at all the reproduction copies of Square Enix games for Super Nintendo on eBay, and the dozens of sites that are dedicated to selling reproductions. It's been going on for years. If Square Enix isn't going to do anything, neither is Falcom.

In all honesty his concerns seem more like paranoia. We are talking about the equivalent of jay-walking in digital form. I understand his stance on owning the actual game and making a personal copy, but it is still illegal and not any better than pressing one up right. People should buy classic games, but still that stance makes little sense. These companies are still not making any money off of these games, and the bottom line is that they do not care about the American audience, so we take it into our own hands.

What's going to happen in 50 years or so when other generations want to enjoy these games? They will be disc-rotted, and non-functional. This is simply the way these classic games are going because it is inevitable that one day they will no longer work. We are simply the pioneers of an era coming in the next 50-100 years. People will look back and be grateful people like you guys did stuff like this, and make Everdrives, and clone consoles, and design custom reproduction boards for snes games.

If these companies are not going to give us what we want, then we will do it ourselves, and keep these games alive for future generations to enjoy.

OK, I got a bit off topic there. But you all know what I mean.

Comrade: if you want to enjoy a fan translation/dub,  you can. But you don't need a pressed CD to do so.

And if you *really* can't deal with a "sharpie marker" (oh the great injustice!):

http://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm

Personally, I am grateful for any translation/dub that simply *exists*...using a sharpie on a CD-R hardly seems the "great injustice" in comparison.

If you *insist* that you *must* have a pressed CD, then you are missing the entire spirit of the project

I still love you :)

I don't care either way. I merely stating why people want professional looking copies. It would be cool to have one, but if it never happens I wouldn't mind.

SephirothTNH

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 04:39:03 AM »
Just want to say I would love to see some community driven pressed CDs.  Especially of Ys IV.  Since Nightwolve already gave his consent at the very least the non dubbed translated version would be fair game. 

Not to sound rude or ungrateful but what exactly did Burnt lasagna do for the project?  If all he did was coordinate with the voice actors and use Nightwolve's tools to extract/re insert adpcm samples then I would say Nightwolve has the lions share of the voting power on this subject. 

Most repros on other consoles get produced without any consent from the hackers, and translators that made the game possible.  I think it speaks volumes to the integrity of the members here that this being considered. 

esteban

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »

Just want to say I would love to see some community driven pressed CDs.  Especially of Ys IV.  Since Nightwolve already gave his consent at the very least the non dubbed translated version would be fair game. 

Not to sound rude or ungrateful but what exactly did Burnt lasagna do for the project?  If all he did was coordinate with the voice actors and use Nightwolve's tools to extract/re insert adpcm samples then I would say Nightwolve has the lions share of the voting power on this subject. 

Most repros on other consoles get produced without any consent from the hackers, and translators that made the game possible.  I think it speaks volumes to the integrity of the members here that this being considered.

OMG! SRSLY!

You're totally correct.

P.S. I have pressed CD of Atlantean to sell you.
  |    | 

SephirothTNH

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 05:28:13 AM »
OMG! SRSLY!

You're totally correct.
GREAT!! Thanks for coming around.

P.S. I have pressed CD of Atlantean to sell you.
No thanks I would rather buy a legit copy from aetherbyte on hucard. 

Seriously though I was just wondering how much of the work is really burnt lasangna's.  If it is indeed how I suspect it then it should be a simple matter to do a fresh dub patch without him.  The original voice actors can re submit their samples if they want to be a part of a community pressing; those that don't can be re recorded.  Someone else can handle editing the audio and reinserting it.  Well maybe it wont be simple but certainly doable and avoids going against Lasagna's wishes regarding his part of the dub.

spenoza

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2014, 05:56:32 AM »
Honestly, if we're talking about whether something should be pressed or not, I think a "No" answer should always carry more weight than a "Yes" answer. If even one person on a team thinks "No, this is inappropriate," then it shouldn't happen. Period. Every member of that team should have veto power. Something should only happen if everyone is on board, unless there is some kind of contract stating who specifically has decision-making power.

We know that translation work is relatively safe territory, but when you move up to a formal, pressed release, that exposes all parties involved to greater risk, and any individual should have the right to shut that down and opt out of being exposed to that greater risk.

I realize it makes things a lot more difficult to accomplish that way, but I think safe is better than sorry.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

greedostick

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2014, 06:03:21 AM »
Honestly, if we're talking about whether something should be pressed or not, I think a "No" answer should always carry more weight than a "Yes" answer. If even one person on a team thinks "No, this is inappropriate," then it shouldn't happen. Period. Every member of that team should have veto power. Something should only happen if everyone is on board, unless there is some kind of contract stating who specifically has decision-making power.

We know that translation work is relatively safe territory, but when you move up to a formal, pressed release, that exposes all parties involved to greater risk, and any individual should have the right to shut that down and opt out of being exposed to that greater risk.

I realize it makes things a lot more difficult to accomplish that way, but I think safe is better than sorry.

Making a translation is not illegal. Just frowned upon by game dev companies. There is zero percent chance of persecution in any way,  shape,  or form, unless you are the one selling the Cdr's for profit. That is why there is confusion. Because it makes no sense why one would be paranoid regarding the issue. I could manufacture thousand of copies and start selling them tomorrow through a website. Do you think Falcom would file a case against me or lasagna?  They would not care what they did,  because I would be the one making profit.

If lasagna is scared to be on a pressed copy,  then his concerns are mute,  because the distributor would be at fault. But again,  these are for non-profit. Not much that could be done.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:05:01 AM by greedostick »

Dicer

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
TBH it's not some mega corp trying to do this, it's a bunch of passionate people trying to carry on the legacy of what they enjoy. No one is trying to do this for profit, but for the enjoyment of the hobby, and if the voices of the many are in agreement, then I think it should happen. No one is talking about mass producing these and making them widely available.

People do dubs/translations because I would assume, they want people to enjoy something they otherwise could not, so stifling this in any way shape or form, it just seems counter productive to the whole reason for doing it in the first place.

Just my .02 on the matter...

wolfman

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
Do a combined run of a  C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.

Beyond Shadowgate
Might & Magic 3
Bonk 3

and I am sure not only me but half of our community will be more than grateful for your time and energy involved in this.

Count me in on this as well.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROMĀ², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HailingTheThings

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »