Author Topic: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs  (Read 4303 times)

greedostick

Re: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
Do a combined run of a  C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.

Beyond Shadowgate
Might & Magic 3
Bonk 3

and I am sure not only me but half of our community will be more than grateful for your time and energy involved in this.

Count me in on this as well.

And Dynastic Hero. We could do them in groups of 3 or 4. We could do a rpg lot, then a shmup lot,  etc..
I for one would be grateful, and would he more than willing to donate some cash for time spent getting things in order.

Duo_R

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
The Latest Turbo Duo Memories collection has Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Exp II, Bonk 3 and Godzilla. Maybe something else? Those collections may seem pricey but they are really nice.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

greedostick

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
The Latest Turbo Duo Memories collection has Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Exp II, Bonk 3 and Godzilla. Maybe something else? Those collections may seem pricey but they are really nice.

Yeah the thing is they are far too expensive to justify purchasing, especially when factoring in I am forced to buy godzilla, which I don't want, and dungeon Explorer 2, which I already own. Plus they seem to sell out fast.

I think the appeal of a project like this, is that people are tired of being dicked over by some guy banking 500% profit.

I do appreciate you looking out though, I just don't think that set is for me. I only collect games I feel are worth owning, and don't want to feel like I am being forced to buy,  and shelve games I will never play.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:09:28 PM by greedostick »

Bonknuts

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »

I thought this was a Sonic and Friends free-zone? It's bad enough that stuff drifts over to sega-16, but here? -smh  :P

tl;dr (nothing important)

greedostick: Actually, it is illegal. You are not allowed to translate someone else's copyrighted work and redistribute it in another language (patch or no patch). The ONLY reason why the hacking and translation community hasn't come under fire, is because this is done for non-profit AND the target audience is small enough. That hasn't stopped some companies from producing a C&D though, once a hack got waaaay to much attention (ChronoTrigger comes to mind).

I do agree that everyone involved in a project gets veto power for their own work - period. SamIam and I are working on the translation of Spriggan, so I would definitely like it if permission was asked of both of us. I can't speak on behalf of Sam, and he can't for me.

No one said stated that any of these hacks were made with the idea that they were to be pressed on CDs. It's not the hackers or translators problem, if you don't like CD-Rs or PC emulators (or the up and comming SDcard CD emulator for PCE that the GDEMU guy is working on).

About the YsIV dub thing: just redub the damn thing. It's not that hard and anyone has the right to do it (there's no claim that you can't rehack or redub something just because someone else did it first). That would solve both issues for BL and NW.

To the new comers here, you're not entitled to something just because someone else released it for public use. It doesn't make it public property. You need to learn some damn respect: you can't always get what you want (I want a pressed copy of YsIV as much as any of you, even before this dub was made). Trying to justify it 3 ways around be stating they didn't have permission for this and that, doesn't negate anything. I swear some people have little to no scruples. But go ahead and do it, and see what happens to the community that wants to actually continue this type of work.

I'm in no way against community pressings, but getting permission is the right thing to do. I feel like a broken record...

As for Dracula X, there are like 5-6 people that worked on that (myself included). BL isn't the only one, but he made clear that he doesn't want this part used in a pressing. If you want to make your own version, you can use my tools (or rather, code) - I don't care what you do with it. But I didn't do everything in the game, and there are artists (like Fragmare) that did work too. You'd have to replace that as well. You got your work cut out for you; let's see what you're made of.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:30:20 PM by Bonknuts »

greedostick

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
You sure about that?  I just asked my girlfriend (a lawyer),  and although she States it's not her expertise, a English patch she said sounds like reverse engineering, and something about fair copyright act.

Duo_R

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »

I hear ya man! Just heads up he might also sell these individually.

Yeah the thing is they are far too expensive to justify purchasing, especially when factoring in I am forced to buy godzilla, which I don't want, and dungeon Explorer 2, which I already own. Plus they seem to sell out fast.

I think the appeal of a project like this, is that people are tired of being dicked over by some guy banking 500% profit.

I do appreciate you looking out though, I just don't think that set is for me. I only collect games I feel are worth owning, and don't want to feel like I am being forced to buy,  and shelve games I will never play.
Add my YouTube channel:

vestcoat

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »
+1 to everything Bonknuts said. All of you people who've only been here for a few years need to listen up because this topic has been discussed before and it's not going to work. There should be a sticky or something.

Unlike most naysayers, I'm all against non-profit repressing. That said, don't come around here trying to get a "community blessing" or something. Quietly sound out your supporters and do it off-forum like Fudoh or whatever did or just scrape up a few hundred dollars and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Public discussion is a bad idea. Consider:
1) talking about ROMs and ISOs is a ban-able offense, you idiots. For better or worse this forum isn't public space. Aaron owns it and pays the fees. So... if talking about ISO's is against the rules, then you can bet your ass he doesn't want you pirating and selling physical discs via the forum. (Yeah, I know swearing is discouraged too. Sue me).

2) PCEFX has official industry connections. In 2007, PCEFX was Hudson's OFFICIAL home of TurboGrafx news for the VirtualConsole. These forums are something of an institution that has attracted official attention in the past and Aaron may want to make such agreements again in the future. Don't shit in the pool. Move all pirating talk over to the chatbox on that other site or something.

3) the internet is filled with petty, bean-counting tattletales that will rat you out. Strangely, they don't bat an eyelash if someone starts selling nice repros like the overpriced PCE boxset, but if anyone dares open up a discussion about a business venture, then there's hell to pay. Several years ago a guy posted here that he bought the TG16 Marble Madness prototype and might consider sharing it. There was some interest, but then the Forgotten-IP-Corporation-Protection Trolls showed up and ran the guy out of town because they just could live with the thought of someone paying money for an unlicensed ROM. Also remember the independent release of Faceball on the Virtualboy was shitcanned because of forum pussies threatening to alert the IP holder.

4) while I'm not concerned with a tiny, non-profit release of an extinct corporation's thirty-year-old IP, we have to respect the handful of our peers who take the time out of their days to bring us new ports and translations for free. If the Ys IV team doesn't want their shit being pressed, that's the end of the argument. Suck it up and play a burned disc on a hacked Xbox or something. I can't believe people are still whining about this.

Making a translation is not illegal. Just frowned upon by game dev companies. There is zero percent chance of persecution in any way,  shape,  or form, unless you are the one selling the Cdr's for profit.
It's totally illegal, but I'm so sick of arguing copyright law with idiots on the internet that I'm not even going to start.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:20:05 PM by vestcoat »

Duo_R

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »
Let's move the convo to that other PCE site then, good call!
Add my YouTube channel:

greedostick

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
+1 to everything Bonknuts said. All of you people who've only been here for a few years need to listen up because this topic has been discussed before and it's not going to work. There should be a sticky or something.

Unlike most naysayers, I'm all against non-profit repressing. That said, don't come around here trying to get a "community blessing" or something. Quietly sound out your supporters and do it off-forum like Fudoh or whatever did or just scrape up a few hundred dollars and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Public discussion is a bad idea. Consider:
1) talking about ROMs and ISOs is a ban-able offense, you idiots. For better or worse this forum isn't public space. Aaron owns it and pays the fees. So... if talking about ISO's is against the rules, then you can bet your ass he doesn't want you pirating and selling physical discs via the forum. (Yeah, I know swearing is discouraged too. Sue me).

2) PCEFX has official industry connections. In 2007, PCEFX was Hudson's OFFICIAL home of TurboGrafx news for the VirtualConsole. These forums are something of an institution that has attracted official attention in the past and Aaron may want to make such agreements again in the future. Don't shit in the pool. Move all pirating talk over to the chatbox on that other site or something.

3) the internet is filled with petty, bean-counting tattletales that will rat you out. Strangely, they don't bat an eyelash if someone starts selling nice repros like the overpriced PCE boxset, but if anyone dares open up a discussion about a business venture, then there's hell to pay. Several years ago a guy posted here that he bought the TG16 Marble Madness prototype and might consider sharing it. There was some interest, but then the Forgotten-IP-Corporation-Protection Trolls showed up and ran the guy out of town because they just could live with the thought of someone paying money for an unlicensed ROM. Also remember the independent release of Faceball on the Virtualboy was shitcanned because of forum pussies threatening to alert the IP holder.

4) while I'm not concerned with a tiny, non-profit release of an extinct corporation's thirty-year-old IP, we have to respect the handful of our peers who take the time out of their days to bring us new ports and translations for free. If the Ys IV team doesn't want their shit being pressed, that's the end of the argument. Suck it up and play a burned disc on a hacked Xbox or something. I can't believe people are still whining about this.

Making a translation is not illegal. Just frowned upon by game dev companies. There is zero percent chance of persecution in any way,  shape,  or form, unless you are the one selling the Cdr's for profit.
It's totally illegal, but I'm so sick of arguing copyright law with idiots on the internet that I'm not even going to start.

Please, show me a statute that states making a English patch for a video game is illegal. It's not the same as translating a novel. A patch is not a copy of the actual game, like a book would be. I would love to see proof. Like I said before I am not 100% certain of the real law,   but from my advice from a real lawyer, is that it is probably not. There's a huge difference between ys iv, and some patch someone is creating for a game just released last month in Japan. Those C&D's are issued because a English translation is on the way

Also for the record,  I said I don't care either way what happens. I may not be a lawyer but I am far from an idiot. I have 5.5 years college under my belt. I've taken differential equations, thermodynamics, and and many other high level math/physics/ health care courses. So take your attitude and stick it up your rear end.  This is a discussion,  no reason to get all pissy. So just calm down.

Thanks.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
There's no such thing as "intellectual property," it's a legal fiction.

greedostick

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2014, 04:12:23 AM »
Thats why my opinion would be to make a venture toward making some really nice looking discs that are BLANK with NO files on them whatsoever to male/distribute amongst the forum, then just leave it to the buying party to put whatever they want on the disc. I know a lot of folks on here are against "burnt" discs and while I totally agree that a true, pressed disc is the way to go, it seems like there is gonna be too many hoops to jump through to make that possible.

Thats why my opinion would be to make a venture toward making some really nice looking discs that are BLANK with NO files on them whatsoever to male/distribute amongst the forum, then just leave it to the buying party to put whatever they want on the disc. I know a lot of folks on here are against "burnt" discs and while I totally agree that a true, pressed disc is the way to go, it seems like there is gonna be too many hoops to jump through to make that possible.

That's a good idea. But I think lots of people would mess up their burns. But still,  I would be for that. But I imagine people here will freak that it says ys. It's going to happen one way or another,  it's a matter of when some random guy takes it into his own hands and starts selling them on eBay without anyone's consent.

Nemo

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »

Someone is already ahead of the curve using the scans that Steve linked to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-IV-English-Disk-Print-with-English-Case-/291289358313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d232dfe9

I'd laugh, but the only thing worth laughing about is anyone who thinks they can control the internet.  There are companies that copyright music, movies, etc. and can't stop people from pirating and profiting from it, but some random guys who didn't copyright their work, illegally altered it in the first place, and distributed for free on the interent, are going to stop people from profiting from it.  How silly are we??  Like someone else mentioned, the fact it's even being brought up, discussed, and looked at it in a respectable way is a testament that there is at least some honor amongst this community. 

greedostick

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2014, 05:11:22 AM »
I'm going to email that douche-tard right now.

Black Tiger

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2014, 05:29:50 AM »
That blank cdr seller is old news. His discs are hideous and the crappy photos are misleading. The labels use a scanned image of the original disc, reflection and all.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

DarkKobold

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »

Now, translation patches are untested in US courts, and they typically don't pose a threat to foreign game companies (barring release of an HD version of a game in the US or a new, translated edition of an older game). I think it would be very rare indeed that a company would care about a translation patch. That's why there are so many out there. Just because something is technically illegal doesn't mean there's actually any legal risk. Look how many people jaywalk every day in most cities.

Companies getting pissy does happen:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/18/final-fantasy-type-0-translation-psp-vita/

http://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/177390-Squaresoft-smacks-down-another-fanmade-game

Granted, the only result I can find is about Squeenix. That said, Final Fantasy is a multimillion dollar franchise, so they have to protect it.
Hey, you.