Author Topic: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs  (Read 4295 times)

Dicer

Re: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
Has anyone ever considered contacting the IP holders and see what they say, I know Konami would be a no go most likely, but in the case of Ys, it really can't hurt.

Just a thought...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2014, 08:13:51 AM »
Has anyone ever considered contacting the IP holders and see what they say, I know Konami would be a no go most likely, but in the case of Ys, it really can't hurt.

Just a thought...

Ys IV was a Hudson developed game, so getting Falcom's permission would be meaningless.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Dicer

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »

Just a thought...

Ys IV was a Hudson developed game, so getting Falcom's permission would be meaningless.

Well, shit...

lol

KingDrool

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
Well, considering Falcom regularly releases new - and sometimes translated - versions of their old games (See Ys 3 and the countless versions of Ys 1&2), I don't think they'd be quick to approve anything like this.

I say take Ys IV off the table completely since it's obviously a pretty controversial topic. There are many other good candidates in this thread.

EDIT: And what Necro said.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Bonknuts

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:10 AM »
If this were an SNES forum there would already be overpriced repros for sale without getting anyone's consent. 
On Nintendo Age, probably.
Bingo.

I asked a person, who I've known on forums over the years, why he was selling a repro of his SMW hack (he was even advertizing about it on other forums - taking pre-orders). His answer, because someone else threatened to do it if he didn't.

SephirothTNH

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
Wow that is pretty low.  I've never been a member there but every time I've had the misfortune of landing there after a google search I've left with a bad taste in my mouth.

esteban

A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:34 PM »

I thought this was a Sonic and Friends free-zone? It's bad enough that stuff drifts over to sega-16, but here? -smh  :P

tl;dr (nothing important)

greedostick: Actually, it is illegal. You are not allowed to translate someone else's copyrighted work and redistribute it in another language (patch or no patch). The ONLY reason why the hacking and translation community hasn't come under fire, is because this is done for non-profit AND the target audience is small enough. That hasn't stopped some companies from producing a C&D though, once a hack got waaaay to much attention (ChronoTrigger comes to mind).

I do agree that everyone involved in a project gets veto power for their own work - period. SamIam and I are working on the translation of Spriggan, so I would definitely like it if permission was asked of both of us. I can't speak on behalf of Sam, and he can't for me.

No one said stated that any of these hacks were made with the idea that they were to be pressed on CDs. It's not the hackers or translators problem, if you don't like CD-Rs or PC emulators (or the up and comming SDcard CD emulator for PCE that the GDEMU guy is working on).

About the YsIV dub thing: just redub the damn thing. It's not that hard and anyone has the right to do it (there's no claim that you can't rehack or redub something just because someone else did it first). That would solve both issues for BL and NW.

To the new comers here, you're not entitled to something just because someone else released it for public use. It doesn't make it public property. You need to learn some damn respect: you can't always get what you want (I want a pressed copy of YsIV as much as any of you, even before this dub was made). Trying to justify it 3 ways around be stating they didn't have permission for this and that, doesn't negate anything. I swear some people have little to no scruples. But go ahead and do it, and see what happens to the community that wants to actually continue this type of work.

I'm in no way against community pressings, but getting permission is the right thing to do. I feel like a broken record...

As for Dracula X, there are like 5-6 people that worked on that (myself included). BL isn't the only one, but he made clear that he doesn't want this part used in a pressing. If you want to make your own version, you can use my tools (or rather, code) - I don't care what you do with it. But I didn't do everything in the game, and there are artists (like Fragmare) that did work too. You'd have to replace that as well. You got your work cut out for you; let's see what you're made of.

Thank you.

I honestly believe that some folks here have not actually been reading posts in their entirety. Or, if they have, they have poor comprehension skills.

Otherwise, sadly, they really are as selfish and as short-sighted as they present themselves.

It is mind-boggling.

What part of, "Do you want to see more fan hacks/translations/dubs in the future?" is too difficult to understand?

It is a simple matter of respect/civility for each other and towards the folks who create the hacks/translations/dubs.

It is a sad day.

UPDATE: Ok, so I am late to the party.

+1 to everything vestcoat said.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:46:23 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
It's a shame that this is so complicated and convoluted but that is just the way with IP's.  Maybe there is a way to just purchase the Pressed disc and not actually sell the IP but give it away like in "Dallas Buyers Club" where here gives away the AIDS medication but you pay a member ship?  Some sort of a loop hole IDK.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Opethian

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2014, 01:30:58 AM »
It's a shame that this is so complicated and convoluted but that is just the way with IP's.  Maybe there is a way to just purchase the Pressed disc and not actually sell the IP but give it away like in "Dallas Buyers Club" where here gives away the AIDS medication but you pay a member ship?  Some sort of a loop hole IDK.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

Gentlegamer

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2014, 02:45:48 AM »
The copyright holder still owns the distribution rights, so even free give a way is technically a violation.

Daria

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
here's the guidelines I'm thinking
1. If using some kind of patch (Ys IV dub, for example), we must get permission from the patch creator, and follow whatever terms they wish.

I didn't read the whole 9 page thread... but I just wanted to say that this is already my favorite retro gaming forum. For this sentence alone: thank you.

esteban

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
DoxPhileLite.com
  |    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
DoxPhileLite.com

You're a "DoxPhileLite.com" By that I mean, gosh darn it all, you're handsome! Can you please make a new TurboDoodle episode? Preferably one in which you're wearing those cute army pants as previously featured in the Alien Crush video? I am most certainly 100% straight, I promise.

:3

esteban

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2015, 06:03:40 AM »

DoxPhileLite.com

You're a "DoxPhileLite.com" By that I mean, gosh darn it all, you're handsome! Can you please make a new TurboDoodle episode? Preferably one in which you're wearing those cute army pants as previously featured in the Alien Crush video? I am most certainly 100% straight, I promise.

Of course I still have those pajamas. Camouflage LeUglie @OldNavy
  |    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »

DoxPhileLite.com

Of course I still have those pajamas. Camouflage LeUglie @OldNavy

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!!