Author Topic: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs  (Read 4285 times)

Greg2600

Re: A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »
There'd be a LONG, long list of those who would gladly pay for a translated Dracula X CD pressed, including ME!!!!

Punch

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
Nullity, make us a site called kickstartophile.com to make this model of community funded CD pressings a reality. Do something good for once.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2015, 03:31:56 AM »
My stance on this whole bootlegging others ip for profit is this. People from the community doing it openly would be a permanent stain on this forum. If you're going to do it, do it at cost, not profit, sell only to forum members, and keep it low key and on need to know. As far as I am concerned otherwise it is the IP holders job to protect their own IP. If they want to protect it, they need to be proactive about it.

Most don't try to unless profits are being made, and half these old companies don't even exist anymore due to mergers or closing shop and selling assets, so the IP ends up in the hands of companies that could care less for the stuff outside of squeezing some profits from the Nintendo Virtual console.....

Outside of all the other mess involved with this, the only thing that irks me in a major way is people are still buying shit from that lying scamming cunt stain Tobias/Fudoh, after his spending years lying about his source of the Sapphires being old stock from Japan, and insisting his Sapphires were probably legit because of some fake letter from Hudson he concocted and presented to the forum. He took advantage of people's trust, of this community giving him the benefit of doubt.

The guy doesn't deserve one f*cking penny from anyone, he makes hundred percent profit off of others hard work, but he does pretty bootleg boxsets and people toss hundreds his way like all is good. If you guys are going to do this kind of shit, at least keep it low priced and in the community and stop bastards like this from exploiting the Turbo scene even more then it already is.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:33:56 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2015, 12:39:55 PM »
I think the only way to really approach this is by starting new projects from the ground up with the intention of making repros. However, a couple things should be kept in mind such as;

1. Active copyrights. Obviously translating and making repros of Dracula X might pose an issue since Konami has already released this game twice on two different formats.

2. Repro projects should probably consist of old IP's who's copyrights are no longer active or come from a now defunct developer like Masaya (who was bought by xtreme and they probably don't give a sh!t).

So it may be best to put together a team with the mere purpose of "localizing" these old games. I'd be game and can help out with a number of things, we have many other talented folks on the forum as well who could help and whatever comes out of this should stay within the forum and its members.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
Why do you care about permission from one person (the translator) when your are straight up jacking a piece of software that was created (not modified) by a team of 100 people and owned by a corporation that can sue the shit out of you and even maybe send you to prison?

Does this make sense to anyone?

If you're going to jack it, just jack it. Don't talk about it, just do it. That's how bootlegging is done. I don't have a problem with bootlegs, IMO they are essential to virtually any scene, but this isn't how it's done.

As for the subject to be bootlegged, I don't see Drac X making much sense. The PCE original can still be had for a price not much higher than the original retail and there are multiple ports that are progressively cheaper. It also has almost no speech or text of any kind so the patch doesn't put it in the category of "must mass produce".

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
Who has two thumbs index fingers and is bored?

:dance:

Good, let's get started then. We're gonna dub High-leg Fantasy together. Just me and you nully, we GOT dis. I've been practicing my Japanese-girl moans for just such an occasion. U READY??

SignOfZeta

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
Honestly, that's a much better idea than a Castlevania game everyone already has.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
Or maybe, start with a project that's small and will take less time to make like a platformer and do a test run? Maybe something like Shubibinman 3? Would require mostly voice dubbing and like little to no text at all. We press it, see how it goes. I'd help fund this as well as create any manual/case designs for the project.

Greg2600

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »
If it costs say $30 a pop to press the CD and make the inserts/manual, plus shipping, and the person doing this charges say a $10 fee for their time spent, what's the harm in that?  As long as they aren't versions which were released at retail. 

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
This is true, people want things at cost but time is money too.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
If it costs say $30 a pop to press the CD and make the inserts/manual, plus shipping, and the person doing this charges say a $10 fee for their time spent, what's the harm in that?  As long as they aren't versions which were released at retail. 

Did you create the game yourself? Is it your IP? Are you going to reimburse the creators of said work if it is not yours, per a legal agreement worked out between you and the original owners of said IP? If your answer is no to all the above, then you already know what the harm in it is. As stated prior, don't publicly involve this forum in that activity. If you plan to do this kind of crap, keep it to yourself and behind the scenes. This forum does not need to be attached to open bootlegging, especially for profit, no matter how low those profits may be.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
Never mind that, who the f*ck is charging $30 to press a CD? Is it filled with human blood?

SephirothTNH

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
Never mind that, who the f*ck is charging $30 to press a CD? Is it filled with human blood?
Sign me up for a blood filled Dracula X please!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2015, 01:34:03 AM »
Why do you care about permission from one person (the translator)..... Does this make sense to anyone?

Isn't it obvious?  If you spit in the face of the few guys that are actively doing translations, don't be surprised if they walk away and you never get another one.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2015, 04:01:39 AM »
Why do you care about permission from one person (the translator)..... Does this make sense to anyone?

Isn't it obvious?  If you spit in the face of the few guys that are actively doing translations, don't be surprised if they walk away and you never get another one.

This is a specific case of one person who has already been a key member of two completed translation projects, who has actually stated that if his projects get pressed he's done with the PCE scene.

Bootlegging commercial publishers' PCE games from decades ago isn't going to make them stop producing new PCE games, because they aren't making any more anyway. Pressing projects involving the work of someone against it will effectively cancel any future projects they would have done.

People blindly jumping into threads like this and boldly making blind claims has likely already done enough damage to discourage at least Burnt Lasagna from starting any new PCE translation projects.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum