Author Topic: Fantasy STAR SOLDIER  (Read 344 times)

Punch

Fantasy STAR SOLDIER
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:34:07 PM »
Is there a story behind why we didn't get the game and years later Hudson simply put it up for sale for the Wii?

You got to admit, their archiving people are pretty good for a unreleased localization of a PCE game to survive this long.

imparanoic

Re: Fantasy STAR SOLDIER
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
I presume, they realized that the market share for T16cd was very low during 1992/3 period and probably assumed that they make a loss if they released it in the states

I had a copy and sold it, it's ok, not great, I have now on psp's  ( Japanese only) soldier collection

esteban

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »

Is there a story behind why we didn't?

Yes. TTi on verge of bankruptcy.
  |    | 

lukester

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
Gradius was supposed to come out in USA but got cancelled.

There were plans to localize Tengai Makyou 2...

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 03:25:50 AM »
Gradius was supposed to come out in USA but got cancelled.

There were plans to localize Tengai Makyou 2...

No Konami games had a chance to come out here and although TMII at least had a chance, it was never even attempted by all accounts. NEC/TTi just showed random PCE games at shows to hype the system. Even though so many couldn't be licensed and/or they never planned to.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »
Those teases!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:30:59 AM »

I wish I could remember the source, but I believe I'd read that the reason it didn't get released was because by the time it was ready, the monies to release new games was gone.

I don't believe it was ever fully "ready" they still needed to do some sprite changes to change the PC Engine sprite to a TurboGrafx or something Westerners would recognize among other things. They basically just changed the title screen and removed some of the cutscenes in the versions in circulation.
--DragonmasterDan

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:13 AM »

I wish I could remember the source, but I believe I'd read that the reason it didn't get released was because by the time it was ready, the monies to release new games was gone.

Although I don't think the game was finished being localized, I don't think TTi would have put much effort into it. They seemed to favor cuts over actual localization towards the end. They probably would have either given the PCE character an original name or left it as-is. Aside from all the literature TTi put out talking about the "PC Engine", it was noteworthy enough in Western circles for Konami to call it by name on the SNES Drac XX box.

Fantasy Star Soldier definitely isn't worth a pressing, any more than it's worthwhile hacking any other PCE game to remove content and change a single logo for a pressing.

Edit: forgot to mention what inspired this post in the first place. :P Doesn't New Adv Island have a white PCE pad in it? Like they couldn't be bothered to even do a color swap?

I don't believe it was ever fully "ready" they still needed to do some sprite changes to change the PC Engine sprite to a TurboGrafx or something Westerners would recognize among other things. They basically just changed the title screen and removed some of the cutscenes in the versions in circulation.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:47:33 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »

Although I don't think the game was finished being localized, I don't think TTi would have put much effort into it. They seemed to favor cuts over actual localization towards the end. They probably would have either given the PCE character an original name or left it as-is. Aside from all the literature TTi put out talking about the "PC Engine", it was noteworthy enough in Western circles for Konami to call it by name on the SNES Drac XX box.

Fantasy Star Soldier definitely isn't worth a pressing, any more than it's worthwhile hacking any other PCE game to remove content and change a single logo for a pressing.

Edit: forgot to mention what inspired this post in the first place. :P Doesn't New Adv Island have a white PCE pad in it? Like they couldn't be bothered to even do a color swap?

While some late release games like Godzilla saw major cuts, others like Dynastic Hero had English language songs (I'm assuming the Japanese version doesn't have English lyrics). So they were putting some effort into localizations. But yeah, I agree with regards to it not being worth pressing. Last I knew Star Parodier wasn't that expensive if people really want to play the game.
--DragonmasterDan

HailingTheThings

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »

Last time I remember playing it, it was one of these?