Author Topic: Favorite Valis game?  (Read 4122 times)

thisIsLoneWolf

Favorite Valis game?
« on: December 23, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
So I've been playing a lot of the Valis games lately, and I've really got into the series again.

I've been trying to decide my order of preference. It might depend which day you ask me, but I'd have to say 4, 3, 1, 2 at this point.

Part 4 is really great overall, but I do gravitate to part 3 quite a bit. Especially after you get 20 or so minutes in. There are some really nice looking levels, and some great music to enjoy!

How would you guys rank these games (1-4), starting with your highest preference first.

fragmare

Re: Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
The best one, to me, is the Super CD remake of Valis 1, Mugen Senshi Valis.  You can definitely tell it's an upgrade from Valis 2-4 (which is are standard CD-ROM2 games)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:10:11 PM by fragmare »

thisIsLoneWolf

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
It's a good game and also has some technical highlights worth mentioning. Nice graphics/animation/cut scenes.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:40:56 AM »
I wanna say Valis X because tentacle rape and boobehs, but the honest answer is Valis 1.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:03:46 AM »
Valis III
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 05:11:31 AM »
I've played Valis 1 PCE up until the final boss, where I died countless times. I've got the other three games as well, but have just played to the second level, therefore all I can say is I liked Valis 1 the most so far.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

esteban

Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
Valis III is my fave. Everything else is pretty close (it's been many years since I've played some...I should play them all back to back over holiday break!)

When it comes to ranking them based on MUSIC?

No contest: VALIS II destroys. All the other soundtracks. Valis II completely destroys them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:40:41 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

fragmare

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »
Speaking of Mugen Senshi Valis, does it crash for anybody else in Ootake right after the intro?

Dicer

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
IV/III/I/II

TR0N

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Valis III and then follow by IV.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 01:37:03 AM »
Personally I've always kind of considered Valis III and IV as the elite games in the series.  Valis III has moments in it that really felt like I was in the middle of a truly unique gaming experience.  With the cut scenes between levels, diving off a roof top to grab a sword and fly back up to kick some ass (in my pajamas!!)  WITH PARALLAX!!  I love the soundtrack of Valis III and actually would consider it a decent opponent to the Castlevania series for recommendations to those that are looking for a good platformer/action game to try out once you've played all the great Castlevania games to death.

When I first played Valis IV it was on the SNES and I actually really enjoyed it!  I loved the soundtrack (again, and I know it's no PCE, but it's still memorable) and thought the gameplay was pretty fluid.  Fastforward to when I finally got it on CD and I was totally blown away at the soundtrack and cut scenes.  It was like a Special/Complete Edition of the SNES version I tried.

I can't say I've ever played Valis I's remake on Super CD, but after reading this thread I might have to seek it out.  I've dabbled with Valis II on Turbo and for some reason or another I was just incredibly underwhelmed by it.  The music seemed fine, but the graphics and controls just felt... off to me.  I will have to give it another try some time.  :)

I've also played "Syd of Valis" on Genesis and it never really caught on with me either.  I understand this was a cute remix of Valis II also, so I dunno. 

All around, I loved 3 and 4, but didn't have that memorable moment with 2.  My experience with the original or the SCD remake is extremely limited.  I will have to fix that.

at the end of 2014 my order of favorites would go like this-
Valis III - Valis IV - Valis 2 - (Undecided Valis I)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 01:55:35 AM »
I think I'll just leave this here:

And the vast HG101 article on the complete Valis series:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/valis/valis.htm

Both have very interesting viewpoints and opinions how they feel about the games and various ports.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

ishiyakazuo

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:38 AM »
I've never played the PCE version of 4 (just the SNES/SFC one), so I'm going to go with 3.  (I've never played the PCE one of that one either, but I've heard the Genesis/MD one is extremely close.)
I've played the PCE versions of 1 and 2 (on my PS3), and while I agree that 1 is much nicer technically than the others, and the plot is pretty amazing... 3 just stands out more to me for some reason.
I'm also not sure why, but the MSX2 version of Valis II was a lot of fun for me.  It's technically way inferior to the PCE one, but when I was growing up, I'd played SD Valis and compared to that, anything was a HUGE step up, so when I got my hands on the MSX2 version, I was like "whoa."
MSX version of Valis 1 kind of sucked though.

Ayce

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
I've only played Valis III and Syd of Valis on the Genesis. I finally got Valis III for the TG and have started playing through it. I don't remember the jumps being this stupid on the Genesis though. I hate that you basically have to use the slide to get over many of the gaps.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »

I've only played Valis III and Syd of Valis on the Genesis. I finally got Valis III for the TG and have started playing through it. I don't remember the jumps being this stupid on the Genesis though. I hate that you basically have to use the slide to get over many of the gaps.

Syd of Valis... That silly game should have been a lot better.

Valis III is better in Turbo. THE POWERSLIDE IS AWESOME. Just accept it.
  |    |