Author Topic: Favorite Valis game?  (Read 4164 times)

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
Re: Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
Valis III is a great game in the series and by far my favorite. The music, the graphics and the visuals were all great. I still kind of feel like the controls could have been just wee bit tighter but you adjust to the timing. I really wanted to like 'A Fantasm Soldier' more but it felt a bit weak in the gameplay department compared to the MD version but graphics were still amazeballs. Valis II just makes me sad and Valis IV is kind of a borefest with a few sorta fun bits. So yeah, Valis III all the way.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

esteban

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »

Valis III is a great game in the series and by far my favorite. The music, the graphics and the visuals were all great. I still kind of feel like the controls could have been just wee bit tighter but you adjust to the timing. I really wanted to like 'A Fantasm Soldier' more but it felt a bit weak in the gameplay department compared to the MD version but graphics were still amazeballs. Valis II just makes me sad and Valis IV is kind of a borefest with a few sorta fun bits. So yeah, Valis III all the way.

I think it is all a matter of perspective. If you compare Valis II to Turrican, for example...

|    | 

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
III but damn that water level
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

esteban

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »

III but damn that water level

It's only bad the first time you encounter it. Once you figure it out, it's a pretty awesome feeling.

:)
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
Valis III is my favorite and really perfected the overall balance of what makes a Valis game signature "Valis". The Genesis version is also great and more polished for what is intact. I'm always surprised when people complain about the water stage, because that was where the game fully won me over and I always think back about that as one of the funnest sections.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
Valis III is my favorite and really perfected the overall balance of what makes a Valis game signature "Valis". The Genesis version is also great and more polished for what is intact. I'm always surprised when people complain about the water stage, because that was where the game fully won me over and I always think back about that as one of the funnest sections.

I agree 100% about it being a defining moment. :)

I always felt that the graphics of that level were friggin' sweet, too. It just had a great atmosphere and looked impressive... Combined with the platforming skills required, it was a defining moment.

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
Games like Daimakaimura have lots of cheap difficulty due to the randomness of respawning enemies in some chaotically designed stages.

Some Castlevania games have similar stretches as that Valis III stage, but again it is obvious that the developer just threw some stuff together and called it a day. That Valis III stage and other parts of the game aren't the absolute greatest action/platforming ever made, but it is solid satisfying challenge which is genuinely rewarding. Which positively encourages you to continue on through the game, instead of simply relieved that a random combo of elements finally lined up so that you no longer have to deal with a frustrating scenario.

This is the kind of stuff I love about video games, as opposed to the other kind I described, which I more just accept and put up with. Night Creatures is an entire game like that and it is rewarding to overcome that kind of challenge. But it only gets a free pass in high profile games or titles from the right developers/publishers. This difference is why I think that Wonderboy is so much better than Super Mario Bros, even though I appreciate SMB for what it is.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »
The water level is awesome... my inability to master it is what sucks. :lol:

This!

seieienbu

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »
I've only played 3 of them.  I liked Valis 3 more than 2, and I liked both more than Super Valis.  I've intended to get around to playing the other two PC Engine titles forever but have just never made time for them.  Valis was never my favorite series; judging it by the three games that I played it was alright but not great.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 10:35:08 PM »
This thread needs a poll, doesn't it?  :mrgreen:

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

thisIsLoneWolf

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »

I agree 100% about it being a defining moment. :)

I always felt that the graphics of that level were friggin' sweet, too. It just had a great atmosphere and looked impressive... Combined with the platforming skills required, it was a defining moment.

Agreed. The graphics on the water level are sweet. It appears in Valis IV too.
Turrican't do this! :)

esteban

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »
^^^^ :)

Turrican could never have an aquaduct level as beautiful as the one from Valis!
  |    | 

SuperDeadite

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
For PCE, I'm going with Valis I.  Gameplay may not be the greatest, but the game itself is just more ''Valisly'' then the rest if you can understand that.  School girl goes solo against all odds.  Music is great too.  When I just want to relax and have some fun I could seriously play the first stage over and over and over lol.

For the entire series, I think I have to give it to the X68000 version of Valis II.  The game has horrid controls, but once you get used to it's weirdness, the style and design is really awesome.  Most especially the violence.  The original computer versions of Valis II are gory, no holds barred, and depressing as hell.  The console versions were really toned down in dark content and it really weakens the story imo.  Watching the insane shit Yuko goes through in the uncensored II is quite eye opening.

I also have a softspot for the MSX version of Valis I.  It is a terrible game in every category, but I don't know I still like to play it now and then.  There is nothing good about it at all, but I still enjoy it....lol.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »

For PCE, I'm going with Valis I.  Gameplay may not be the greatest, but the game itself is just more ''Valisly'' then the rest if you can understand that.  School girl goes solo against all odds.  Music is great too.  When I just want to relax and have some fun I could seriously play the first stage over and over and over lol.

For the entire series, I think I have to give it to the X68000 version of Valis II.  The game has horrid controls, but once you get used to it's weirdness, the style and design is really awesome.  Most especially the violence.  The original computer versions of Valis II are gory, no holds barred, and depressing as hell.  The console versions were really toned down in dark content and it really weakens the story imo.  Watching the insane shit Yuko goes through in the uncensored II is quite eye opening.

I also have a softspot for the MSX version of Valis I.  It is a terrible game in every category, but I don't know I still like to play it now and then.  There is nothing good about it at all, but I still enjoy it....lol.

The PCE Valis I was the last one released, so it sounds like it shows some polish. I just never found Valis I particularly engaging compared to Valis III (switching 3 characters! I liked all three, wish the game was longer).

The atmosphere and music in Valis II is a fave, but level design very basic and very short easy game overall.
  |    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 04:24:48 AM »
Nulli, I'd suggest having a look at HG101's Valis article for some T&A. Oh and yes, there's some comprehensive information on all the computer and console ports as well.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no