Author Topic: Favorite Valis game?  (Read 4152 times)

Gredler

Re: Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »
Nulli, I'd suggest having a look at HG101's Valis article for some T&A. Oh and yes, there's some comprehensive information on all the computer and console ports as well.

Yes, certainly NSFW. Hard to believe this happened to a game character, officially.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
Not talking about Valis X.  Talking about the Japanese computer versions of Valis II (PC98, MSX, X68000) they are totally different things lol.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Black Tiger

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »
Nulli, I'd suggest having a look at HG101's Valis article for some T&A. Oh and yes, there's some comprehensive information on all the computer and console ports as well.

Yes, certainly NSFW. Hard to believe this happened to a game character, officially.

That kind of stuff happened way more often than you think, apparently. Even in PCE games.

Before making Dragon Quest, Enix made a game in which you hunt for toddlers in bondage, so that you can take their clothes off.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

geise

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
Not talking about Valis X.  Talking about the Japanese computer versions of Valis II (PC98, MSX, X68000) they are totally different things lol.

LOL!  That they are. 

For nostalgia and music I have to go with Valis III.  IV is so very close behind.  I like all of the pc-e games for different reasons.  I think Phantasm Soldier controls the best.  II has better voice acting than III and also amazing music.

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »

That kind of stuff happened way more often than you think, apparently. Even in PCE games.

Before making Dragon Quest, Enix made a game in which you hunt for toddlers in bondage, so that you can take their clothes off.

wow. That is the sort of factoid i would not admit to knowing even if I knew it.

wtf kind of shit are you into, bt? :lol:

It is regularly reposted by mainstream media.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/02/before-there-was-dragon-quest-there-were-dirty-games/

http://www.cracked.com/article_19005_6-famous-artists-you-didnt-know-were-perverts_p2.html?wa_user1=2&wa_user2=Weird+World&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=flashback

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
The best one, to me, is the Super CD remake of Valis 1, Mugen Senshi Valis.  You can definitely tell it's an upgrade from Valis 2-4 (which is are standard CD-ROM2 games)

I'm in the same boat.   It's just so much more gooder

I do like Valis 3 as well though. 

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

EmperorIng

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »
I only have Valis I and III, and am only close to beating III (Valis II is on the way). I have this sneaking suspicion that one of the series' hallmarks is spawning enemies right at ledges in order to knock you back into a cheap death. At least, this seems to be one of the defining features of Valis III!

I suspect I might like Valis I more, but it's too early to tell.

I watched some longplays of Valis II on the home computers - the story is delightfully dark and bleak (and the booming FM synths of the X68000 help with this atmosphere), though not so much that it is some random gore/sex fest. It's a shame that the game looks like it controls about as well as a three-legged horse in a Chuck-E-Cheese ballpit.

esteban

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »

I only have Valis I and III, and am only close to beating III (Valis II is on the way). I have this sneaking suspicion that one of the series' hallmarks is spawning enemies right at ledges in order to knock you back into a cheap death. At least, this seems to be one of the defining features of Valis III!

I suspect I might like Valis I more, but it's too early to tell.

I watched some longplays of Valis II on the home computers - the story is delightfully dark and bleak (and the booming FM synths of the X68000 help with this atmosphere), though not so much that it is some random gore/sex fest. It's a shame that the game looks like it controls about as well as a three-legged horse in a Chuck-E-Cheese ballpit.

Valis II has short, rather basic level design. I feel that, with minimal extra effort, additional stages (or, extended stages) with more creative platforming challenges would have elevated the game. I am not even asking for new graphics/themes...just simply more interesting/challenging moments.

I am in the minority, I think, but the PCE Red Book is fantastic in Valis II and really helps foster the perfect atmosphere for the game. I just wish some of the tracks were longer. BUT EVERY SONG KICKS MY ASS. Sadly, most people feel otherwise (they feel every tune sucks my arse).

Anyway, I'm not a fool, I know that Valis II is not a AAA title.

However, it falls into the category of "games you love"
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
Valis II has s great soundtrack and the sound used perfectly compliments it.

Mathius

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »

Maybe I'll get Valis II just as a music CD. I don't really care for the gameplay from what I've seen.

Valis I has been on my to get list for ages. I'll get lucky one day.

I've played Valis III and IV on PCE (and III on MD too) and I think Valis III takes the cake. It just feels like the developers were "into it" more with III with its atmosphere, characters, and level design.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »

Maybe I'll get Valis II just as a music CD. I don't really care for the gameplay from what I've seen.

Valis I has been on my to get list for ages. I'll get lucky one day.

I've played Valis III and IV on PCE (and III on MD too) and I think Valis III takes the cake. It just feels like the developers were "into it" more with III with its atmosphere, characters, and level design.

Listen to the soundtrack to see if it is your cup of tea.

But, I definitely think Valis II is worthy of a few play-throughs...I just wish it was more challenging.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
Valis 2 was my first cd game BITD, so I'm a bit biased.  Still, fantastic soundtrack whether you like the game or not.  It's mainly the 3rd & 4th levels I find to be dull.

ShadowKitty777

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 10:52:18 PM »
Between 1 and 4 on the PC Engine for me.

Gredler

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
For someone who's never played a game in the series, where do you think is the best place to start? Is the story laid out in a manner that lends itself to being played chronologically, in a understandable language, or is it best to play the fourth game first in a language I don't speak?

EmperorIng

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
The story doesn't matter. Valis II and III are in (really bad) English but you don't miss out, because each game is essentially "Yuko vs. Monster-of-the-Week."

I don't even know if chronologically even matters for a casual look at the series. Valis I was the penultimate game in the series and is leaps and bounds above Valis II in playability (and from my experience, Valis III as well).

I think that Valis III is not a bad place to start by being cheaper (The JPN release anyhow), though I think playing Valis I will get you the gist of the whole shebang.