Author Topic: Favorite Valis game?  (Read 4137 times)

esteban

Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »
Black Tiger, I know we're on a PC Engine forum and everything... but c'mon. A little intellectual honesty, here?

Music is a toss-up. Some tracks are better on the Genny, some the PCE. If I was forced to choose, I'd probably give the edge to the Genesis, just because it has this

That is a great song and it sounds very nice in MegaDrive/Genesis :)

Of course, it sounds better here:
 http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Valis_III/06-Level_1.mp3

Seriously, though, I love hearing both versions (I should find the PC versions, too...I may have listened to them years ago, but I can't remember anything).

THE MORE, the better.

Regarding the cut content... normally this would be a problem, but since the aqueduct section was part of what got trimmed, I'd argue this is a positive.  :P

Curiously, you didn't bring up the controls...

(1) Since I consider the Aquaduct to be one of the greatest moments of platforming, the cut cripples the Genesis version. MegaDrive Valis III will forever be runner-up. De facto. Ad finitum. Silver medal.

(2) I have not had a side-by-side comparison, so I guess the controls for the Genny version could be tighter. However, I have never had an issue with the controls in the PCE game, even the finicky Aquaduct stage that everyone whinges about...so this is a non-issue for me. Valis games tend to have "floaty" controls, in general, which I am fine with.

Naturally, I love that you are defending the Genny version. It makes me want to play the two side-by-side :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:51:08 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Mathius

Re: Favorite Valis game?
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:02 AM »
I know we're on a PC Engine forum and everything
THIS.

Look, brother, I know you are new around here but I wouldn't be so quick to judge. The majority of people in this particular forum are fairly non-biased towards any console.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

tool

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
sorry for short post. valis 1 was the best one for me, but yet again I have never played valis 4 or valis 3 on genesis.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »
To obey or not to obey, that is the question.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Gentlegamer

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
I only have Valis 1 for Genesis, I've never played it. Is it any good?

esteban

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 12:37:47 AM »

It's better than Syd of Valis.

Or is it?
  |    | 

geise

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 12:55:14 PM »

It's better than Syd of Valis.

Or is it?

I think so.  I actually had the MD Phantasm Soldier before I got the PC-Engine version (which is way better), but it's good in it's own right.  As for Syd Valis I just couldn't get into it.

Hey Spooky, just so you know Black Tiger is also a big Genesis fan.  So, he is not being biased at all.  It's all opinion anyways.  I do agree with a lot of your comments regarding the Genesis version, especially with the controls.  I like a lot of the backgrounds more on the Genesis version as well.   With that said I still enjoy the PC-Engine version more.  It feels like a more complete game to me with all the levels. 

Spooky

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
Hey Spooky, just so you know Black Tiger is also a big Genesis fan.  So, he is not being biased at all.  It's all opinion anyways.  I do agree with a lot of your comments regarding the Genesis version, especially with the controls.  I like a lot of the backgrounds more on the Genesis version as well.   With that said I still enjoy the PC-Engine version more.  It feels like a more complete game to me with all the levels. 

Hey, if some people prefer the PC Engine version due to the extra content or the increased difficulty, I can totally appreciate that. I only took issue with BT downplaying the clear cut graphical superiority of the Genesis port by arguing that "more assets = better assets", that was all. At the end of the day, both are fine ways to play Valis III, and everyone should experience both. That we can all agree on.

It makes me want to play the two side-by-side :)

You should, dude! I've been playing both of them back-to-back lately, to see if I can clear both of them in one sitting. Have yet to pull it off , though. :mrgreen:

On a side note, I've been revisiting the various computer versions of Valis II over the past couple days. Man, what wasted potential. I may have been a bit too harsh by labeling them "unplayable", but those controls are absolutely insufferable, especially in the X68000 port.

Shame too, as there's some great gameplay ideas there, and I must concur with Supes that the style and atmosphere of the PC Valis II's are unrivaled. If they'd combined the best parts of each port, like say... the graphical style of the MSX2, the soundtrack and comparative smoothness of the PC-98, and the cutscenes & balanced difficulty of the X68K, I'd put it above those snoozefests Valis IV and Valis II PCE easily. As it is, it's just a missed opportunity...  :(

Gredler

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:48 AM »

Although I would argue that the quality difference is hardly clear cut. Disregarding the extra content on the PCE, I think the palette is generally better (blues and greens especially). I've always felt that the genesis's palette is often desaturated or reds-dominate. I would say for a game like Valis the style lends itself to the brighter and more uniformly saturated hueys of the PCE. Of course this is a matter of openion, but I would hardly call it clear cut. Also, as Black Tiger pointed out, there are ares on PCE that have more scrolling than genesis, so to say that is a win for Genesis is fairly moot.

esteban

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
This is the sort of debate that I like on this forum.

IT'S ABOUT THE DAMN GAMES.

:)
  |    | 

Spooky

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
Also, as Black Tiger pointed out, there are ares on PCE that have more scrolling than genesis

Yeah... you might want to examine that image BT posted a bit more carefully...

Gredler

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »
Also, as Black Tiger pointed out, there are ares on PCE that have more scrolling than genesis

Yeah... you might want to examine that image BT posted a bit more carefully...

1>0

Gredler

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »

esteban

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:51 AM »
PCE > NEO GEO
  |    |