Author Topic: POLL: Indie/homebrew supporter roll call  (Read 1074 times)

vestcoat

POLL: Indie/homebrew supporter roll call
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
Compare your results!

Total Games Purchased
0: Collectard too busy buying teh rares to support new developers.
1: Collectard waiting to flip Mysterious Song on ebay, unaware of repress.
2-3: noob.
4-7: Golden Circle member FOR LIFE!
8-11: Acemore Bonk Head Club for Badasses. Congrats, you got 'em all!
12+: Collectard willing pay $80 for Rockman, the PCE "boxed set," and any other ripped-off, pirate jag in shrinkwrap.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:57:20 PM by vestcoat »

jtucci31

Re: POLL: Indie/homebrew supporter roll call
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
My copy of Revival Chase just came in the mail today, how fitting.

I'm just barely in the Gold Circle. Have Meteor Blaster DX and Revival Chase. I preordered that second batch of Mysterious Song and I bought the Atlantean Rom (waiting for my turn in line on that one). This thread reminds me to get on supporting others by getting the other games too.

But speaking of that first point, I feel like I've been seeing more auctions for "R@@RE first run Mysterious Song" lately.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
My copy of Revival Chase just came in the mail today, how fitting.

I'm just barely in the Gold Circle. Have Meteor Blaster DX and Revival Chase. I preordered that second batch of Mysterious Song and I bought the Atlantean Rom (waiting for my turn in line on that one). This thread reminds me to get on supporting others by getting the other games too.

But speaking of that first point, I feel like I've been seeing more auctions for "R@@RE first run Mysterious Song" lately.

I messaged one guy about there being a re-issue coming and provided him with a link to the pre-order. He actually lowered his auction price and I think he even apologized. lol

KingDrool

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:51:02 AM »
Proud member of the Acemore Bonk Head Club for Badasses.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:52:12 AM »
I have all eleven of the homebrew games listed, even the repress of Mysterious Song (test disc).  I also have a booty Sapphire, but I won't pay big monies for crappy CDRs or buy box sets of games I don't want.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:23:16 AM »
I have no homebrew games.  I wouldn't mind having booties of Sapphire and Kaze Kiri, nobody's yet made a homebrew game that piques my interest.  Atlantean got really close, but still no cigar. 
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 02:37:10 AM »
I bought all the official hombrew physical releases, but did not pay for (multiple copies of) Mysterious Song.

I bought an autographed copy of the cdr Meteor Blaster DX and a copy of the pressed version. Since Implode was only $5 more, I have a second sealed(!) copy.

I bought all of the everanime bootlegs short of the ridiculous "Turbo" set, in order to document them. I did not pay the original asking prices of the pre-box set bootlegs.

I do not know if this makes me a collectard.

I have no homebrew games.  I wouldn't mind having booties of Sapphire and Kaze Kiri, nobody's yet made a homebrew game that piques my interest.  Atlantean got really close, but still no cigar. 

listen... do you hear that?

that is the sound of all the homebrew devs penciling you in at the top of their shit list. :lol:

This is why everanime/Hudson Soft/PCE Works makes a crap load of money off of flipping bootlegs and homebrewers take a loss for their time/work and resources.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:40:38 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Punch

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:34:06 AM »
You guys are all noobs. You have to create a ultra limited edition and auction it off on Nintendo Age to make decent money. :lol:

I joke but I'm also serious. Homebrewers deserve way more money for their efforts and I see no harm of doing that, LE for the VAG'ers and regular, never out-of-print copies for the obeyers.

VenomMacbeth

POLL: Indie/homebrew supporter roll call
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:25 AM »
I have no problem with homebrewers, and I definitely believe they deserve to get money more than bootleggers...

...but I'd still rather play Sapphire than Atlantean.  Sorry, Arkhan. >.>
But in all seriousness, if I had the disposable to drop on things on principle alone I'd buy a copy of every new homebrew game, but as it stands, I need to save for the games I actually want to play & with a couple exceptions (HuZero looks promising) there has yet to be a homebrew game I want to play as badly as original ones.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:02:46 AM by VenomMacbeth »
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

slinkyturd

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 05:12:08 AM »
I've not seen a homebrew that makes me want to play it more than deep blue or tv sports football. Give me a side scrolling beat 'em up like Legendary Axe II. Until then, I don't have crazy money to throw at a trinket to collect dust on my shelf just for the sake of having it.
70/95 US Turbochips

Bernie

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
I've not seen a homebrew that makes me want to play it more than deep blue or tv sports football. Give me a side scrolling beat 'em up like Legendary Axe II. Until then, I don't have crazy money to throw at a trinket to collect dust on my shelf just for the sake of having it.

whoa.....  then you certainly have "not" been paying much attention.  MSR was badass for what it is, and for as simple as it is, Insanity and PP are excellent additions to any turbob library.  Implode is the only MindRec game I can actually say I enjoyed though. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:06:39 AM by Bernie »

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
Pyramid Plunder is as fun as games get and much more than most commercially published games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 09:58:39 AM »

I can relate to some extent. The thing is, indie developers have to start somewhere to get their chops up. If we care about keeping the TG16 alive, we need to support them. The less un-profitable it is for them to develop games, the more they'll make and the sooner they'll get to your side-scrolling brawlers.

While not every homebrew has been a home run, it sounds like you haven't given them a chance. Have you played Atlantean? It's freaking awesome. Like a cross between Air Zonk and Galaga '90. IMO, it really feels like a first-party release, albeit a remake of a classic game. Pyramid Plunder is solid and almost as close. Revival Chase is interesting and multiplayer. Mysterious Song may be a Dragon Warrior clone grounded in 8-bit style, but it's a fun romp with nice visuals. Hypernova Blast and Insanity are rough around the edges, but still get play time when I'm in the mood for a simple game with solid play control. I own 25+ official titles that see way less play time than these games.

Finally, with the possible exception of Atlantean, none of these games are "crazy expensive." They're all a paltry $10-40. You can get all three Mindrec releases for $50. The last copies of Mysterious Song went on clearance for $12.

vestcoat

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
Anyway, I was inspired to make this poll because of the endless queries in the development forum: "Any news on Bubble Bobble?" "Any news on Lucretia?" "Any news on Xymati?" The answer to all of these questions is BUY MORE HOMEBREW.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
And I'm still the only one sitting at the 12+ advanced collectard shortbus level.  Suck my IllustBooster, bitches!  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles