Author Topic: Is there an accurate list of launch games (TG-16) for USA ?  (Read 1586 times)

Gentlegamer

Re: Is there an accurate list of launch games (TG-16) for USA ?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
Right.  Newspaper articles, sales fliers, usenet posts, and the memories of people who were a little bit older when the system came out (if they bought it at launch) can all be used to piece together a list that at least has some citable sources.  The lists of launch games I see on Wikipedia seem largely pulled out of someone's backside.
I recently bought a Sega Master System game that still had the original Toys R Us receipt in it, pinpointing when the the game was originally purchased. Have any of the more extensive boxed collectors ever come across original receipts that can be used to date retail availability?

Jibbajaba

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
So you two are pulling an aycehole and want the forum to do your research for you?  :P

The July '89 issue of VG&CE says that at least ten titles were planned and listed Alien Crush, JJ & Jeff, Legendary Axe, Power Golf, World Class Baseball, R-Type, Victory Run, and Vigilante as those confirmed for launch.  With Keith Courage, that makes nine and it shall for here on out be considered fact because it was printed in an infallible gaming magazine.

I don't think he was doing that at all.  Just seeing what kind of information people might have here.  I mean, this is the de facto Turbo forum on the web, so why wouldn't he ask here first?

Gaming mags are unfortunately not a good source.  They are written well ahead of time and therefore often have incorrect information.  Like the July 89 issue was probably written in late April and early May, so that it could hit the news stands at the beginning of June.  Since the launch wasn't until late August, the information is not trustworthy because it's based on what NEC was hoping to have available at launch, not what was actually available.

Unfortunately there was not a lot of scuttlebutt on Usenet about the Turbo so it's hard to find remarks from people at the time of launch. 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
You're mistaken if you think a filler piece like that was written just a day or two before post, especially at a rag like USA Today.  They say flat out that the Genesis wasn't out yet (even though it was) so how could they not be similarly relying on what Sega fed them?  I won't try to say it's the same thing, as plans given weeks in advance are surely better than those given months in advance, but it's probably as good as you're going to get.

But don't let me stop you from whining that "nobody will help".  I guess you believe we're all sitting on piles of launch day receipts that we didn't want to share the last eight times this topic was covered.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bernie

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »
Wuh whoa!

esteban

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Hahahahahahaha
  |    | 

Jibbajaba

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
But don't let me stop you from whining that "nobody will help".  I guess you believe we're all sitting on piles of launch day receipts that we didn't want to share the last eight times this topic was covered.

Whoa dude.  Maybe you and I got our signals crossed?  I don't think I'm whining at all, I never said that "nobody will help", and I really don't understand your aggressive posture on this. 

I think that this is a interesting topic of conversation, I'm glad Anthony started this thread, and I am a little bit disappointed by the people saying that we should just give up because it can't be done.  If some people think that this is silly then that's fine, but I think it's a topic worthy of conversation.  Nothing wrong with pooling together information, comparing notes, and seeing what we can come up with. 

esteban

Is there an accurate list of launch games (TG-16) for USA ?
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
We need someone who videotaped (with accurate time stamp) a ToysRUs stockroom and retail space in September 1989 . That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:43:58 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Bernie

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
I find it sad that NEC of America did not do better than this.  Hell, even music CDs have a freaking release date documented somewhere.  Nintendo, Sega, ect...  It would be cool to see something, but a better bet would be a fan based time line.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »
LOL, that would definitely settle the issue!

Jibbajaba

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »
See?  This man is thinking.

Anthony1

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »
Newspaper articles is awesome, but most of the places require you to go somewhere to view the microfiche.  I haven't really looked into it here locally. I need to call the Newspaper, and ask them what their policy is.

One thing about looking through actual newspapers... the sales scans would be invaluable. Ads from Toys R Us and Kay Bee toys and stuff like that. Some of them would be wildly inaccurate, but again, the more information that could weigh in on it, the merrier.

Also, have you guys seen that one video on YouTube where somebody actually is walking through a Toys R Us aisle, filming the price tags of Genesis games ? It was the Arden way Toys R Us in Sacramento, CA, a place I've been to plenty of times.  (Unfortunately, I was in San Diego at the time of the TG-16 and went to a Toys R Us in the San Diego area to get my games and stuff. Bought my TG-16 system at Montgomery Wards.

Seeing that video, does definitely bring back memories.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
We need someone who videotaped (with accurate time stamp) a ToysRUs stockroom and retail space in September 1989 . That would be awesome.

That video was fun!

I want that Turbo display banner thing!

Didn't the Great One have one of those?

esteban

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2015, 04:13:25 PM »

That video was fun!

That video was totally fun. I grabbed a bunch of screenshots I'll post in a few minutes.

No joke: I think Aaron (Mr PCEFX) recently purchased a TG-16 sign like the one on the video.

Of all the crazy coincidences!
  |    | 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »

That video was fun!

That video was totally fun. I grabbed a bunch of screenshots I'll post in a few minutes.

No joke: I think Aaron (Mr PCEFX) recently purchased a TG-16 sign like the one on the video.

Of all the crazy coincidences!

Nice!

Yeah, I thought Aaron made a post a little bit ago showing off that sign.

NightWolve

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »

I didn't think I could watch the whole thing, I tried to resist, but I was charmed enough. :)