Author Topic: Is there an accurate list of launch games (TG-16) for USA ?  (Read 1605 times)

Anthony1

Is there an accurate list of launch games (TG-16) for USA ?
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »
I'm very interested in trying to find an accurate list of TG-16 USA releases, in chronological order.

Does anybody know if somebody did any research into this and came up with a list ? I've seen a website where one guy claims that 9 games were available at launch, and he had a list of games, but I need to see some more convincing evidence.

Also, is there any other specific information about the actual launch of the TG-16 in the USA ? Reason I ask, is because I know there was this one Sega Genesis newspaper article that confirmed the exact Genesis launch games. Maybe something like that is out there for TG-16 and I just have seen it yet.

If anybody knows of anything, please reply with a link... Thanks.

Black Tiger

Re: Is there an accurate list of launch games (TG-16) for USA ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:16 AM »
The Genesis launch line-up isn't solid either unless you're talking about a window of time. Even then, you blur into other release dates. Launches weren't anywhere near as organized back then and even if some titles were available somewhere technically, it took a while for everything to become available everywhere.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:43:17 AM »
You will never EVER get a solid list of launch titles and exact dates; the information simply does not exist.  Even that newspaper article is 'proof' of nothing more than what the paper was fed as expected release dates, which were often incorrect when deadlines were missed and games got delayed.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

NightWolve

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:47:03 AM »
Mortal Kombat.

MrFulci

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:48:19 AM »
A lot of information, is long gone by now. Clif notes example; I recall ordering from TZD, their original warehouse. I ask about Turbo Force, lalalal, OK, they throw in a few issues in some orders. I think twice the same issue.

They move warehouse, late 90s, I ask again, "Oh, we threw all that stuff out when we moved".   "WHAT??!?!??!"   "Hey, did you want to pay shipping for all of them? Sorry, they went in the dumpster.".

I think after that I asked, why they didn't just put an issue in each order they put out, and I was told, "PHHHH, sure, and have to deal with complaints about bent magazines, do you have more, etc".

I understand, and still have good memories of TZD to this day. Good folks. Makes more sense, 15+ years later.

I imagine a number of TG-16 things, at least paper related, went that way.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Anthony1

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:21 AM »
The Genesis launch line-up isn't solid either unless you're talking about a window of time.

The Genesis launch lineup is pretty much set in stone as far as I'm concerned. There is a VERY convincing USA Today newspaper article from August of 1989 that features children playing the full batch of launch games for the Sega Genesis. You combine that with more evidence from usenet posts of the time, and it's pretty much about as confirmed as you can get, without having a time machine and recording videos of the whole thing.

USA TODAY Article from August of 1989:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/sanpojin/USAToday2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/sanpojin/USAToday3.jpg

Usenet post thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?6513-Usenet-guy-reviews-the-quot-Sega-Genesis-quot-%28August-1989%29

These two pieces of information, pretty much confirms that there were 6 games launched for the Genesis on August 14th, 1989 (New York & Los Angeles areas)

1. Altered Beast - pack in
2. Tommy Lasorda Baseball
3. Last Battle
4. Space Harrier II
5. Super Thunderblade
6. Thunder Force II

There are a number of other sources, that help confirm this information, but I'd have to look through my notes to find all of the particular info.  Bottom line, I feel really, really good about the Genesis launch list.

When it comes to the TG-16 however, I'm starting at square one. I've search usenet repeatedly looking for any mentions of TurboGrafx in August and September and October of 1989, and there just aren't that many posts about it. No conclusive list as far as I can remember.

Also, I don't know of any USA Today article regarding the TG-16 or early store advertisement scans or anything like that. I have most of the video game magazines sold during that time period, but magazines are very, very unreliable with their dates and lists. In fact, I've found that magazines more often than not give mis-information . Sometimes in the letters section, and the tips and tricks section, you can get valuable clues as to when something was released, but for the most part, I don't think magazines provide very compelling evidence. Usenet posts are probably the most valuable information, because it's time stamped. Newspaper articles are also quite valuable, if you know the exact date of the newspaper. It's also time stamped in a way.

That USA Today article that I linked to, we don't have an exact date for that. Supposedly it is sometime in August of 1989. There might be a way to use USA Today archives, to trace the exact date of that article, but you probably have to pay some kind of fee to access their archives. I've thought about searching the microfilm of my local newspaper, to see if there were any articles in the business section around the time of release, or maybe Toys R Us or Montgomery Wards ads or something...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:00:10 AM by Anthony1 »

Anthony1

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 06:07:39 AM »
Just went over to the USA Today website, and I was able to search their archives and the date of that Genesis article is August 24th, 1989. You have to pay money to get the full article.

MrFulci

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 06:19:20 AM »
Anthony1, my advice, knock yourself out, but why not take a break, and enjoy the games and system(s)?!?!??!?

Otherwise, nullity has that hose.....

I got it, also, to keep things tame;

That there, hose....

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

spenoza

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 06:41:03 AM »
So are you looking for the first release of a title, in the major, first-release market? That's kinda what it sounds like.

Also, that USA Today article is from Aug. 24th, 1989, according to Factiva (a perk of working at a university).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:53:58 AM by spenoza »
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

MrFulci

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:42:32 AM »
So are you looking for the first release of a title, in the major, first-release market? That's kinda what it sounds like.

Spenoza, that's, "kinda",why the hose is here...

Anthony1

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 06:45:05 AM »
Anthony1, my advice, knock yourself out, but why not take a break, and enjoy the games and system(s)?!?!??!?

Oh, trust me... I love the games and the systems. No question about it. I just wish the history of these systems was a little better preserved.

I've been playing TG-16 lately, and for whatever reason, I've had this hankering to play all the TG-16 launch games. I went to find a list of the TG-16 launch games, hoping there was some rock solid list of launch titles, but apparently not.

I still want to know the actual launch list. So, I'll continue to try to research this, and come up with the most accurate list possible.

Is this a life or death matter ? Of course not...

Is it that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things ?  absolutely not

It's just something I want to know.

I was a very early adopter of the TG-16, and I want to retrace my original journey with the TG-16. I bought certain games in a specific order, and if I could find a reasonably accurate chronological list, it would help me determine what order I specifically played the games in. I'm pretty sure I bought my TG-16 in December of 1989, and I'm pretty sure the only game I bought with the machine was World Class Baseball. I only had World Class Baseball and Keith Courage in Alpha Zones for a few weeks, and then I think I went back to Toys R Us and picked up Legendary Axe and Dungeon Explorer.

I've been playing all of those games lately, but also want to play all the other early TG-16 games that were on store shelves in the USA at the time. Basically, like the first 20 or so USA Hu Cards.

MrFulci

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:55 AM »

Oh, trust me... I love the games and the systems. No question about it. I just wish the history of these systems was a little better preserved.

I've been playing TG-16 lately, and for whatever reason, I've had this hankering to play all the TG-16 launch games. I went to find a list of the TG-16 launch games, hoping there was some rock solid list of launch titles, but apparently not.

I still want to know the actual launch list. So, I'll continue to try to research this, and come up with the most accurate list possible.

Is this a life or death matter ? Of course not...

Is it that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things ?  absolutely not

It's just something I want to know.

I was a very .....................

Anthony, STOP IT! I am f*cking with ya. Only, not about the hose.... Here is another video, to refresh you, (comma)

(Carriage return).

spenoza

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »
I am poking around in Factiva and LexisNexis right now (snow day from work) just to see what I can find out. There are some interesting news articles forecasting the release, including one from Toronto with a test panel of kids comparing the TG to an NES, side-by-side.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

MrFulci

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:16 AM »
I'm very interested in trying to find an accurate list of TG-16 USA releases, in chronological order.

Does anybody know if somebody did any research into this and came up with a list ? I've seen a website where one guy claims that 9 games were available at launch, and he had a list of games, but I need to see some more convincing evidence.

Also, is there any other specific information about the actual launch of the TG-16 in the USA ? Reason I ask, is because I know there was this one Sega Genesis newspaper article that confirmed the exact Genesis launch games. Maybe something like that is out there for TG-16 and I just have seen it yet.

If anybody knows of anything, please reply with a link... Thanks.

If Sparky can't see the, "sailtboat" yet,. you gotta take the this on your own! Sparky makes counterfeit TG-16 game boxes, and can't see, "Magic Eye" yet, he has good eyeball stuff, going on.... Surprise us, Anthony1. Relax your eyes, when searching microfilm...

spenoza

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »
WTF, Sega has dates everywhere. Shipments of the Genesis began Aug. 15, 1989. All I can find for the TG is that there were units purportedly "on shelves" by the beginning of October. Seems Ken Wirt of NEC HE is a lot tighter-lipped than Al Nilson of SOA.