Author Topic: WTB - Riot Zone  (Read 756 times)

Sadler

Re: WTB - Riot Zone
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
Alright, alright, fair enough! :) I think I came from the exact opposite side of things. I remember reading reviews BITD that were pretty negative for Riot Zone. I never picked it up back then, I only got it maybe 5 years ago and I was pretty impressed! It was way better than I expected! I do wish it was 2 player though.

EDIT: Riot Zone is superior to Blodia.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:35:22 AM by Sadler »

johnnykonami

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
I really like Riot Zone and one of the reasons I joined the site years ago before I started seriously posting was to follow up on the TZD stock thread or whatever to re-buy it.  Of course the info was outdated at that time and I missed out.

I think the music is especially amazing in that game.  It's this weird proto-jazz-fusion-rock stuff that could have only come from Japan in the 90's.  In particular I love the boss music (I can't remember if there is different boss music right now, if so I am talking about the level 1 boss) and the name entry screen.

One thing that always irked me though was Tony (Was that the red guy? or was it Hawk?) had the most embarrassing walk cycle that looked like some kind of weird reverse-moonwalk march for lack of a better description.  But overall I would love to get another copy one day.  Still have the music ripped on my HDD from years ago.

Missed out on Theron's Quest from that thread also, another game I used to have.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »

Splatterhouse gets points for slightly more attack variety and level design.... and creativity... and... stuff. But Riot Zone was more fun for me personally because I suck at games and it was nice to feel like I was good at a game.

Heck no. Splatterhouse is so much more fun to play. Riot Zone is tedious.
  |    | 

CPTRAVE

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
Alright, alright, fair enough! :) I think I came from the exact opposite side of things. I remember reading reviews BITD that were pretty negative for Riot Zone. I never picked it up back then, I only got it maybe 5 years ago and I was pretty impressed! It was way better than I expected! I do wish it was 2 player though.

EDIT: Riot Zone is superior to Blodia.

I agree, not having a two player option totally bummed me out. But it was still a good game.

esteban

WTB - Riot Zone
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
All I can say is—Blodia is better than Crest of Wolf.

Timeball is better than Riot Zone.

NOTE: Nullity's entire left boob can be seen in the illustration. Nipple is prominent.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:13:30 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Sadler

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
quiz: did the black guy sprite in crest of wolf walk like a polio addled nincompoop? I really dont know.... please educate me.

Pop and lock!

reno5

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »
Now if someone have one to sell so that i can play it for the first time :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 03:07:26 AM »

Heh, sorry we derailed your wtb thread.  I wish I had an extra one to send ya, so you could see for yourself that it's better than some of these guys are making it out to be.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
I might burn a copy of Riot Zone overwriting the intro music with the voiced intro track someday to show to my friends... If you compare it with other turbo games it's not hard to believe that Nullity's voice overs are real. :lol:

reno5

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

Heh, sorry we derailed your wtb thread.  I wish I had an extra one to send ya, so you could see for yourself that it's better than some of these guys are making it out to be.  :mrgreen:

No problems :wink: My thread stick to the top  :mrgreen:

esteban

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't saying it's the worst game. I was just pointing out that nullity is silly for thinking Riot Zone is better than Splatterhouse.

THIS THREAD HAS INSPIRED ME TO PLAY RIOT ZONE!

So, that's a good thing for the Riot-Zone-Lovers and just a big, fat TEASE for reno5, who just wants to play the damn game.
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »

Este, count the number of times you shout expletives while playing each game.  Splatterhouse wins in that metric.

But if you compare the games based on number of times you hear "twister!", Riot Zone wins big time.

I always referred to Riot Zone as the abbreviated RiZo which became "rhizome".

Rye. Zo.

Rye. Zome.

Blodia wins.
  |    | 

johnnykonami

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
Este, count the number of times you shout expletives while playing each game.  Splatterhouse wins in that metric.

But if you compare the games based on number of times you hear "twister!", Riot Zone wins big time.

Haha, I forgot about that.  What was the other special move?  Some kind of breakdance thing, right?  Ah, memories.  If only I could slap my 1993 or 1994 self to stop me from having sold it!

Keith Courage

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
I enjoy this game for what it is. Too bad no one has figured out how to make a patch that would enable a 2 player co-op mode.

clackattack

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 04:57:40 AM »
I enjoy this game for what it is. Too bad no one has figured out how to make a patch that would enable a 2 player co-op mode.

X2 on that subject, this game was begging for a 2-player option! May have stood a fighting chance at being compared to a double dragon title
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]