Author Topic: The Struggle Of Finding Turbo Stuff..  (Read 1793 times)

xasap_retro_gamerx

The Struggle Of Finding Turbo Stuff..
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:34:24 AM »
no one in my area has anything , only a game store that wants a lot for an express .... I live close to NYC so you would think they would be a lot here ... other then my system I haven't found anything else , and I don't want to pay over 700$ to get a Duo , Express , and CD , i'm even offering to pay 120$-180 for an express ... it's all nintendo over here , and even that is getting pricey .

cjameslv

Re: The Struggle Of Finding Turbo Stuff..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:45:02 AM »
Yeah drives me crazy when stores are out of all the old madden titles & i'm tired of buying maigcal chase, i'm gonna start making crafts out of them or something.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »
I can't find much of anything local, but there's plenty of stuff to buy on the internet.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

xasap_retro_gamerx

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:59:20 AM »
I can't find much of anything local, but there's plenty of stuff to buy on the internet.

I don't want to pay ebay prices I rather deal locally , hey I would even offer whatever the price is after fees if it's a duo .

mitsuman

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:00:56 AM »
The only thing local to me is a hucard only of Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf for the low low price of $15. It has been in the case at that store for about a year or more now.
On Craigslist, I only find buyers for TG stuff. Or guys selling lots of TG stuff with "rare" games and "things that sell for 5 times as much on eBay" at ridiculous prices.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:07:29 AM »
I don't want to pay ebay prices I rather deal locally , hey I would even offer whatever the price is after fees if it's a duo .

You know there's more to the internet than just eBay, right?  Even if you shop on eBay, you don't have to buy BINs that have been sitting there for months.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

xelement5x

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:11:51 AM »
The only thing local to me is a hucard only of Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf for the low low price of $15. It has been in the case at that store for about a year or more now.
On Craigslist, I only find buyers for TG stuff. Or guys selling lots of TG stuff with "rare" games and "things that sell for 5 times as much on eBay" at ridiculous prices.

So is it completely sunfaded yet?  This shop near me had a fair number of turbobs but they left them in a spot that got the full CO sun like alllll day so by the time I found them they looked horrible.  I grabbed what I wanted, but wasn't going to pay like $7 for a faded to shit Keith.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

xasap_retro_gamerx

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:26 AM »

You know there's more to the internet than just eBay, right?  Even if you shop on eBay, you don't have to buy BINs that have been sitting there for months.

tried many places one reason why I joined here to try here , FB groups are more then ebay lately .

cjameslv

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »

So is it completely sunfaded yet?  This shop near me had a fair number of turbobs but they left them in a spot that got the full CO sun like alllll day so by the time I found them they looked horrible.  I grabbed what I wanted, but wasn't going to pay like $7 for a faded to shit Keith.

Were pretty lucky in vegas to have a handful of retrogame shops, but we also have this place called broadacres swapmeet which is like 50 acres and jam packed with vendors. Your story of the faded games is the main theme over there. All the shit is yellowed, dried out and cracking...yet these guys still charge like its f*ckin ebay..

Desh

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
I believe this is the case everywhere, even the areas of the country that were "major" markets for the Turbo.  I have seen a few loose copies of Keith show up locally.  I did score on some games that came in to a local store (CIC alien Crush and almost CIB D&D).  I have asked the local shop owners about it and they all say the same thing, "When Turbografx stuff does come in, usually the first time someone comes in and sees it, they buy it all."

My last bastion of finding TG stuff in the wild is going to Cleveland.  Most stores at least have a few items available and I have found some decent deals.  Honestly, most of my humble collection has come from snagging the rare ebay deal or from members on this very forum. 

If you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for this stuff, the only thing you can use is patience.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:18:24 AM by Desh »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:20:26 AM »
This is the case basically everywhere. The Duo, the US CD add-on and Express in particular were not big sellers in terms of volume and weren't commonly found used and cheap in the wild in the first place. The best way to get them cheap was to find dead units some years ago and have them repaired or use the repair information found on this forum to fix them yourself.

At this point everyone is aware of how to fix them and lots of people who seemingly had no interest in the platform for the 20+ years systems and games were on the market suddenly became interested because resellers are making quite a profit flipping stuff. It's an unfortunate state of affairs but if you're looking for the US hardware besides the standard TurboGrafx 16 system you're probably going to have to go to the internet and pay internet prices for it.
--DragonmasterDan

xasap_retro_gamerx

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:31 AM »
This is the case basically everywhere. The Duo, the US CD add-on and Express in particular were not big sellers in terms of volume and weren't commonly found used and cheap in the wild in the first place. The best way to get them cheap was to find dead units some years ago and have them repaired or use the repair information found on this forum to fix them yourself.

At this point everyone is aware of how to fix them and lots of people who seemingly had no interest in the platform for the 20+ years systems and games were on the market suddenly became interested because resellers are making quite a profit flipping stuff. It's an unfortunate state of affairs but if you're looking for the US hardware besides the standard TurboGrafx 16 system you're probably going to have to go to the internet and pay internet prices for it.

even a normal system is getting there , i was lucky to find one with the booster plus in the wild .

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:33:11 AM »

even a normal system is getting there , i was lucky to find one with the booster plus in the wild .

The normal systems show up in the wild quite a bit as there are a lot of them in circulation. Because the CD add-on, Express and Duo were 200.00+ at their cheapest brand new (in early 90s money) they were not particularly common and the people who bought them originally were either adults or younger kids hardcore gamers and who knew what they had.

While prices used to be lower, these were never clogging bins at thrift stores.
--DragonmasterDan

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 03:37:28 AM »
You have to be very very patient to find anything locally but there's stuff out there. Try local retro gaming  groups on FB. TBH most casual gamers don't have anything good though for TG16 stuff, you'd probably be lucky to find a basic core TG16 and a handful of early and launch titles usually. Internet is really your only option for anything else.
And sorry to say this but you are very late to the game, Turbo prices are way higher than they were even in the last 2 years. Might want to consider going to the Everdrive route if you wanna get into the games
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 03:54:34 AM »
the struggle is real. some of my local gane stores here in vegas has tg games but they usually have value price which isnt too bad since theyre hard to find but sadly no cib games. I love that cardboard