Author Topic: The Struggle Of Finding Turbo Stuff..  (Read 1792 times)

ifkz

Re: The Struggle Of Finding Turbo Stuff..
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 04:07:23 AM »
While prices used to be lower, these were never clogging bins at thrift stores.

So very true, even at the height of visiting thrifts in the late 90's/early 00's I only ever saw perhaps four TG-16 systems and one was missing the back cover and hookups.  Of course everything before Playstation is impossible to find now.  I second the Everdrive option if you are not sure how far you want to take collecting for the system (I do not own an Everdrive).

My best place for games has been with system lots on Amazon.  Both of my TurboExpress units were bought broken for under $100 and came with a handful of games.  I like having a spare system or two, however.  Also check out half.com, most people forget about it and I have snagged a game or two from sellers in the past year.  It's not a lot, but it is something.

You should also make a personal want list for the system, the best titles that mean a lot to you personally.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:08:55 AM by ifkz »
THANKS TO ALL PCEfx members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

mitsuman

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 04:13:11 AM »
The only thing local to me is a hucard only of Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf for the low low price of $15. It has been in the case at that store for about a year or more now.
On Craigslist, I only find buyers for TG stuff. Or guys selling lots of TG stuff with "rare" games and "things that sell for 5 times as much on eBay" at ridiculous prices.

So is it completely sunfaded yet?  This shop near me had a fair number of turbobs but they left them in a spot that got the full CO sun like alllll day so by the time I found them they looked horrible.  I grabbed what I wanted, but wasn't going to pay like $7 for a faded to shit Keith.
No it is deep inside the store, in the locked glass case with random atari cartridges and other odds and end gaming stuff. And they have it flipped so the face of the hucard is facing down. You have to look up under the glass shelf it is sitting on to see what it is.

I still go into that store about 2 times a month though, just to make sure I'm not missing anything passing through.

One of these days, I will buy that Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf game though. Just to get it out of that store.

GoldenWheels

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
I see the occasional system. That's about it in NW CT. Short that I've seen 5 loose hu cards in about 10 years. All overpriced as you might expect.

420GOAT

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »
i gave up looking in the wild, even craigslist stuff is outta f*cken hand. ebay (yeah im a dipshit i know) or here. they are no where else.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:17 AM »
the struggle is real.

Only if the thread title is specifically referring to finding stuff in the wild for cheap.  Otherwise, it's easy as pie to find most any title, to which your buying history can attest.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

roflmao

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »
There's actually a vintage gaming shop a mere 3 miles from my office that had a handful of obey behind their glass cases last time I went in there, but it was all horribly overpriced for pretty common titles. I've been meaning to go back and see if any of it is still there.

Nully, next time you're up in my neck of the woods we should go check it out!

roflmao

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
Oh no... That's not good.  The NES games I picked up all worked fine. Maye you can take it apart and clean the contacts on the circuit board?  I've had good luck with that in the past.

And to keep things on topic, there don't seem to be any game shops in Wichita that carry obey. :/

HailingTheThings

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
There's actually a vintage gaming shop a mere 3 miles from my office that had a handful of obey behind their glass cases last time I went in there, but it was all horribly overpriced for pretty common titles. I've been meaning to go back and see if any of it is still there.

Getting into arguments with shop owners is fun. Yay!

roflmao

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »

Indeed it is.  However I work for the local Chamber of Commerce and I'm hoping I can get them to join at some time. :) 

On a side note, we've got a new convention center opening soon and I'd love to get some sort of nerd-con going in this neck of the woods. Local game shops can be helpful, even if they're overpriced.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »

Indeed it is.  However I work for the local Chamber of Commerce and I'm hoping I can get them to join at some time. :) 

On a side note, we've got a new convention center opening soon and I'd love to get some sort of nerd-con going in this neck of the woods. Local game shops can be helpful, even if they're overpriced.

Could become friends with 'em, get 'em shit-faced and take embarrassing photos... such as them drinking from the toilet or better... threaten to release the photos publicly if they don't lower the prices? Just a thought.

:3

roflmao

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
Could become friends with 'em, get 'em shit-faced and take embarrassing photos... such as them drinking from the toilet or better... threaten to release the photos publicly if they don't lower the prices? Just a thought.

:3

Well, yeah. I guess there's always that.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
the struggle is real.

Only if the thread title is specifically referring to finding stuff in the wild for cheap.  Otherwise, it's easy as pie to find most any title, to which your buying history can attest.

definitely! any tg game can be found, but sadly mostly online. finding tg games in the wild is pretty tough especially for cheap. You end up having to pay value prices if you happen to find them at your local game store. The best deal i found game store wise was a cic somer assault for $16

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:51 AM »
Turbo is hard to come by where I live, yes, but the good thing is that nobody knows what the hell it is, so it never gets bought.  That's how I scored my Express & that cheap copy of Sidearms.  I rarely find anything worthy of note, although Save Point did have Daimakaimura for the SGX for awhile...not sure if they still do.  I
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

jelloslug

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 03:44:46 AM »
This is the case basically everywhere. The Duo, the US CD add-on and Express in particular were not big sellers in terms of volume and weren't commonly found used and cheap in the wild in the first place. The best way to get them cheap was to find dead units some years ago and have them repaired or use the repair information found on this forum to fix them yourself.

At this point everyone is aware of how to fix them and lots of people who seemingly had no interest in the platform for the 20+ years systems and games were on the market suddenly became interested because resellers are making quite a profit flipping stuff. It's an unfortunate state of affairs but if you're looking for the US hardware besides the standard TurboGrafx 16 system you're probably going to have to go to the internet and pay internet prices for it.

I got lucky and found a local "retro game tech" that had no idea what he was doing with turbos and blew out all of his "broken" stuff dirt cheap.

o.pwuaioc

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 04:25:51 AM »
the struggle is real.

Even the common stuff online is wildly overpriced.