Author Topic: Turbo Duo for 200$ (needs to be fixed yes or no?)  (Read 740 times)

xasap_retro_gamerx

Turbo Duo for 200$ (needs to be fixed yes or no?)
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
friend has one wants 200$ but needs to be recapped worth it ? The HU CARD side works through ...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:11:26 PM by xasap_retro_gamerx »

jtucci31

Re: Turbo Duo for 200$ (needs to be fixed yes or no?)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
Recaps aren't terribly expensive, if i remember correctly, so if that's all it needs that's not bad. Do you know if the laser works well too?

I recently just paid around $200 for mine. It's no steal by any means, but it's not too bad.

It comes down to if it's worth it to you. If you have the spare money, want/need a Duo, want to maybe wait for something better (possibly locally, though doubtful).

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:08:10 PM »
It a rip considering I sell pc engine DUOs recapped for 225 in good working condition :P

Then again, maybe that's what US Duos cost now?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »
I paid somewhere around 250 € for a Turbo Duo including RGB mod, JP-mod w/ switch, two Duo controllers, a clone multitap, an RGB cord, but no power adaptor. The case was in good condition with very few light scratches. But when looking at the inside of the console, the mod jobs where executed not that well, with room for future breakages. At least there was no hot glue involved. Months later, I had to send the console to a friend for the inevitable recap.

Keep in mind that this was in Germany 2 years ago, where any Turbo related stuff is harder to come by than in the US or Japan.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Bloufo

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
At least there was no hot glue involved.

Hot glue = Drakon.
Gives me the chills just thinking of those mod jobs.

Bernie

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:34:11 AM »
friend has one wants 200$ but needs to be recapped worth it ? The HU CARD side works through ...

My opinion, buy it.  It just needs capped, and that can be done here in the forums.  BUT, if it is not the nostalgia feeling you are craving, but just to play games...go with Keith Courage and one of his systems.

thesteve

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »
if your up for the cap job, and feel like giving your friend the $$ do it, otherwise get 1 off the forums ready to go for not much more

schweaty

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
My question is, how do you know it only needs a recap?  Is it working now?

BTW- if it's a turbo duo and all it needs is a recap (confirmed) and you decide to pass, I'll take it :wink:

Jibbajaba

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 07:43:29 AM »
In my opinion, a Duo that has been region and RGB modded and is in perfect working condition is worth around $300.  So a Duo that lacks both of those mods and needs to be repaired is no way worth $200.  But maybe in the "new economy" of video games, I'm wrong.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »
I think your friend can do better than that for a "friend price"

cjameslv

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
$200 seems alot especially since it needs work. If you can afford to be patient, much better deals can be found. Once you get to know more of the members here things get easier. I recently was able to get a dou for much less than that from a fellow member here  :D Of course if it's a "friend" he would understand that you need a better deal as you have to put time and money into it as well. Try negotiating a better deal, you don't have nothing to lose.

Miracle_Warrior

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
How is the condition of it otherwise?  Does it still have the original packaging and such?  Any accessories or games come with it?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 02:44:03 AM »
That's an okay price, but only if it truly only needs caps, is in good shape, and includes a pad, a/v cable, and ac adapter.  Even if it has all that (and a bag of chips), it'll still cost more than a refurbished Duo from Keith or Turbokon, but that's the price of all black sexiness.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 02:55:12 AM »
Is there really a point in getting a U.S system nowadays? I mean seriously, you could get a Pc Engine Duo, get a chopsado and viola play U.S hucard games on a Japanese system. Just saying.

schweaty

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 03:53:07 AM »

ah... yeah... sounds like it needs more than a recap