Author Topic: Where'd you buy your TG?  (Read 1270 times)

RTQ

Where'd you buy your TG?
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
This may have been a topic in the past, but I was wondering where everyone bought their TG stuff in the 90s.

I grew up in Oklahoma and the only place I saw TGs for sale was Toys-R-Us.  It was like a Saturday ritual to go there and see if anything new had come out.  I remember when I was able to convince my dad to buy a new game, you had to take the paper slip for the game you wanted to buy to the front of the store to actually get it.  That was a feeling of triumph!  Those were the days!

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
Re: Where'd you buy your TG?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
Got mine in late '91 from a place called Game Dude in SoCal where I'm from. With it Keith Courage and Vigilante. My CD unit came from a place called Japan Video Games the next year. My favorite system of all time.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

mitsuman

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
The first time I owned everything, i got most of it from toys r us.

jelloslug

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »
I got my Turbo, Turboexpress, Turbobooster Plus and many games from a now closed department chain call Brendel's.  They were a big NEC electronics retailer back in the '80s and '90s. My CD-Rom came from J&R Music World.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
I got my TG-16 lot from a dude that won it in a contest. He just wanted the TV and some other goodies from the winnings, and sold the obey via a buddy that worked at Babbages. The lot included the base TG-16, booster+, tap, extra pad, stick and 5 games. I think I dropped $150 for it all. About a year later, I picked up a CD-ROM from Babbages when the price dropped to $300 and they included the CD+G sampler.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

madboom0522

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:11:03 AM »
Electronic boutique at the end of the turbo's life when it was in the $69.99 price tag. Was able to buy most games for $19.99. Did not get the cd system till 2001 and the duo till last year.
Titles to complete... Caught them all....

xelement5x

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:42:17 AM »
I was normally a Sega/Sony kid so I had no Turbo at the time it was still in retail. 

I picked up my unit from a guy off Craigslist with Bonk for like $70 I think.  Probably like within 6 months I bought a RX and bundle of games/controllers/stuff in auction off ebay. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »
Audio Vision in Prince Rupert. I believe that it was only $399.99 + 11.5% sales tax.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:56:11 AM »
got mine from the homie syphic almost 2 years ago. im pretty happy to how far my collection has gone.

Sadler

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:00:11 AM »
I got my TG16 for Christmas when I was 10 or 11, so I have no idea where that was bought. I got my TurboDuo from TZD and my Express by trading a SNES to a classmate.

EDIT: That's where I got my stuff back in the day. None of that did I hang on to. :( I had to rebuy everything when I pulled my head out of my ass in 2009. That's all been from ebay, forum members, craiglist, or local shops.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:34:37 AM by Sadler »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 03:01:33 AM »
I got the TurboDuo back in '92 from a local game store called Gamers (original name, eh?), the TurboExpress came from TZD sometime around '00, and in the last few years stuff has come from forum members (Duo RX, PC-FX, CG beefcase setup, and the LaserActive and pacs) or ebay (PAL Turbob).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 03:25:15 AM »
I got a box of lose Turbo Grafx stuff from a garage sale years ago for like $20.  It came with commons and didn't even have the dust sleeve for the system.  I got my Turbo Express off some kid on my school bus for like $60.  It came with Jacky Chan, Chase H.Q., Football, Hockey, Vigilante, and the 1st Bonk.  My DuoR I got here.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:01 AM »
Audio Vision in Prince Rupert. I believe that it was only $399.99 + 11.5% sales tax.
It must be hell living behind the Maple Curtain.

wildfruit

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 04:18:40 AM »
I got mine from consolegoods.co.uk for about £60 inc 20% tax. Came brand new, boxed with blazing lazers.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 04:24:27 AM »
I got it as a Christmas gift, but I believe the system was purchased at Target.
--DragonmasterDan