Author Topic: Tony Hawk worked for NEC and/or TTI?  (Read 548 times)

jtucci31

Tony Hawk worked for NEC and/or TTI?
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
If you start around 7:30 Tony Hawk talks about how when skating was taking a downturn, he had to find other sources of income. He would edit videos and do...."video editing for TurboGrafx".  :-k

I searched through the forums, but all that came up was discussion of the THPS games and whatnot. I know the characters in Riot Zone are Tony and Hawk, but it sounds like he's talking about something else. I had this on in the background while I was doing other things and when i heard "TurboGrafx" it caught me off guard.

If this is known, I apologize. I have just never heard of anything about this before.

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Tony Hawk worked for NEC and/or TTI?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was for NEC, but I could be wrong.  The Hook Ups dude also worked for one of them, but I think it was TTI.

esteban

Tony Hawk worked for NEC and/or TTI?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:55:40 PM »
So, if true, what videos did (he) (they) edit?

I don't know the Hook Ups dude.
  |    | 

galam

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:02:41 PM »
Jeremy Klein was the "hook ups dude". He was on tony's Birdhouse skate company in early 90's.
Im not sure about tony working there, but Jeremy sure did.

esteban

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »

Jeremy Klein was the "hook ups dude". He was on tony's Birdhouse skate company in early 90's.

Ahhhh, thanks for calarifying that.

We have a thread about Jeremy Klein, I think. Even a screen capture of him from a video? Or something like that?
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:47:21 PM »
great find..hehe
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

galam

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »

Ahhhh, thanks for calarifying that.

We have a thread about Jeremy Klein, I think. Even a screen capture of him from a video? Or something like that?

I believe he also wrote the piece on Dr Butcher MD in one of the mags. I could be mistaken, though.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 02:25:00 AM »

Did he edit this gem?  If so, 'tis a good thing the skating gig worked out.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

jtucci31

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
I forgot about Jeremy Klein. I remember seeing that screenshot that este is talking about now.  I'm just having some trouble finding it, though.

However, in searching the word "skateboard" i found this interview with TZD . The TZD guy was talking about former employees he still keeps in touch with and whatnot.

TZD: There are four full timers here, been with me for eons. One of them was actually a gamer from TTi. When we first started in May 1994, I had eight employees, all ex-TTi gamers. Since I had the excruciating task of laying off about 20 gamers, at least I could spare that many from the bread lines here in L.A. I'm happy to report I am still in touch with a few of them and some of them are still in the game biz and happy for it. One started a skateboard company and he's rich , another (who needed a map on his dashboard to find his way to work each day) started a T-shirt business and he's doing very well.

Maybe he doesn't specifically keep in touch with that person, but that could be in reference to either Tony Hawk or Jeremy Klein. It's pretty weird and interesting. It's also rather unimportant, but i just find it intriguing (well, more interesting than the case of the mysterious glossy duo that is). :lol:

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:55:57 PM »
damn, thats some cool info. would have never known tony was involved with nec at video editing.

esteban

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
Was Klein seen in the Lords of Thunder promo video? The filmmaker briefly runs into TTi offices or something like that?
  |    | 

galam

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
.... good thing the skating gig worked out.

it actually kind of didnt.  watch "the man who souled the world" and you will see him cry that the Girl team didnt ask him to defect from world industries.  he wasnt that good. he just knew the right people in late 80s when he was relevant.

thesteve

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »
funny thing is a friend of mine in 90, 91 would go skate with him and his friends
i never met the guy, but recall the microbus with the crew in it showing up to collect the street skate crew

ccovell

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Tony Hawk also showed up in Newtek's Video Toaster marketing... so that's the type of video editing (and business circles) he was into, I assume.

galam

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 02:41:38 AM »
funny thing is a friend of mine in 90, 91 would go skate with him and his friends
i never met the guy, but recall the microbus with the crew in it showing up to collect the street skate crew

ron chapman one of them?