Author Topic: Buster Bros - A good port of Pang?  (Read 534 times)

Ghudda

Buster Bros - A good port of Pang?
« on: February 13, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
I recently have had the urge to play Pang for the first time in years. I used to play a flash port of Pang throughout school (never actually played the arcade version) and have fond memories of it. I know that in an ideal world, i'd own a copy of Mighty Pang for the CPS2, but I need a good console version. Perhaps a bit hasty on my part, but I ordered a copy for the Turbo CD. Did I make a mistake? All of the videos I watched made it look like a quality port and I perhaps make it superior to the SNES port?

Is Buster Bros a worth owning title? I never hear anyone talk about it.

Also, good to be back on the forums. I have spent some time on other platforms but am hoping to get some much needed turbob time in. Also planning on getting the much needed RGB mod done to my IFU in the upcoming month or two.

-G

Dicer

Re: Buster Bros - A good port of Pang?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »
It loads a little bit but otherwise it's a very solid version.

Ghudda

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
It loads a little bit but otherwise it's a very solid version.
Good to know. I've never been one to really complain about load times (this excludes NG CD and some 3DO games, ofcourse), so I don't think i'll mind that all that much.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
It's very much like it's original arcade counterpart 'cept it's got some really nice redbook audio as well as new stage clear pics (though I preferred the art style in the arcade a little more). In any case, it's a good game and loads of fun with a friend.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

o.pwuaioc

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
I haven't played the Turbo version in years, but I remember the SNES version being superior, even in sound and music.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
Isn't the SNES version a completely different game?  It's Super Pang IIRC, different levels, music, etc., but I could be wrong??  Either way, LOVE Buster Bros., played it many times with friends BITD(along with Splash Lake).

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
Yes, the SNES version is a sequel, released 3 years later. Graphically I would expect it to supersede  its original counterpart, and yes, the sound was better. However, the music not so much. I still prefer how crisp and clear the redbook audio is in comparison. I also find the composition of the original title more suitable for this type of game, but that's just my opinion, of course.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

esteban

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »

I recently have had the urge to play Pang for the first time in years. I used to play a flash port of Pang throughout school (never actually played the arcade version) and have fond memories of it. I know that in an ideal world, i'd own a copy of Mighty Pang for the CPS2, but I need a good console version. Perhaps a bit hasty on my part, but I ordered a copy for the Turbo CD. Did I make a mistake? All of the videos I watched made it look like a quality port and I perhaps make it superior to the SNES port?

Also, good to be back on the forums. I have spent some time on other platforms but am hoping to get some much needed turbob time in. Also planning on getting the much needed RGB mod done to my IFU in the upcoming month or two.

-G

If you like Pang/Buster Bros. in the slightest, you would enjoy the PCE version.

But, clearly, this game has wormed its way into your heart. You sound like someone who is a fan of the damn game. In which case, you will love PCE version because (1) it is SOLID (2) Red Book is QUITE LOVELY whilst you play (3) 2-player co-op is EXCELLENT and, most importantly...

You have no excuse not to get it.
  |    | 

ccovell

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:07:32 PM »
Also, SNES Super Buster Bros./Pang was One Player Only!  Grrr, Capcom.

Yes, the PCE/Turbo ver is great, has cool music, and frantic 2P play.

Tatsujin

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:45:01 AM »
can't go wrong with that one. great game. great grafx. great RB audio. great 1p fun, even greater 2p fun!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

o.pwuaioc

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 04:39:54 AM »
Good points had by all. I had entirely forgotten the Turbo version was 2player. Worth it to have both then! (But still mostly Turbo. Get a friend, guy!)

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 12:35:11 AM »
Yes, I feel it's worth owning. Of course, if you do not like the game play of Pomping/Pang, then you need not apply. I have not heard of being gouger price, so solid pick up for 15-30 bucks IMO.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 01:52:59 AM »
Great game if you can get it at a good price. Its one of those titles hitting over the $30 mark over at ebay nowadays. At least the pc engine version is going for a decent price..

geise

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 03:44:55 AM »
I haven't played the Turbo version in years, but I remember the SNES version being superior, even in sound and music.
:?:

[-(

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 04:22:14 AM »
Like everyone is saying, it's a great game, especially with a second player.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles