Author Topic: Turbotap works with TG16 to PCE adapter?  (Read 540 times)

SmokeMonster

Turbotap works with TG16 to PCE adapter?
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:17:44 PM »
If I make a TG16-to-PCE controller adapter, will a TG16 Turbotap work with a PCE Duo? I don't see why it wouldn't, but maybe there is something I'm overlooking.

A Black Falcon

Re: Turbotap works with TG16 to PCE adapter?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
I can't say for sure about the other way, but I can say that I have a PCE-to-TG16 adapter, and have a Memory Base 128 attached to that, a Japanese 5-port multitap attached to that, and controllers attached to that, and it all works just fine.  So yeah, my guess is it should work.

SmokeMonster

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
I can't say for sure about the other way, but I can say that I have a PCE-to-TG16 adapter, and have a Memory Base 128 attached to that, a Japanese 5-port multitap attached to that, and controllers attached to that, and it all works just fine.  So yeah, my guess is it should work.
That's great to hear, thank you for the response. I will give it a shot and post back here eventually with the results.

poponon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:56 AM »
I was also wondering this. I've got a 3 player tap but my local shop has a few tg16 5 player taps, I'll have to grab one and try this out

mitsuman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »
I am using a turbotap on my PCE duo via an extended converter cable without issue. But if I am remembering correctly, it will work on some games, and not others. But if I am playing a single player game, I just hook one controller up to the extended converter cable and do it that way.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
If I make a TG16-to-PCE controller adapter, will a TG16 Turbotap work with a PCE Duo? I don't see why it wouldn't, but maybe there is something I'm overlooking.
I know the official duo to turbo cable works fine on my Duo-R. However extensions are a different story. Mixed results with those really.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
I've got a 3 player tap but my local shop has a few tg16 5 player taps....

If you have a spare cable (from that 3 player tap or a controller), you can swap cables with the tap and skip building/buying the converter cable.  The controller cables aren't simple plug and play, though, as you have to reorder a couple pins.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SmokeMonster

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:32:57 AM »

I know the official duo to turbo cable works fine on my Duo-R. However extensions are a different story. Mixed results with those really.

I've been trying to tackle the extension + TurboTap issue myself lately. I did this mod to my TurboTap and it seemed to work with an extension for some games, but not on Bombermans. I'm going to replace the ceramic cap that I used with a mylar film type and see if it makes an improvement. It will be a few weeks for them to arrive from China before I can test though.

If someone with an oscilliscope could replicate the problems that DogP noted in that thread, maybe we could  get to the bottom of the issue.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
About the Bomberman problem: I couldn't replicate it. Equipment I used:
TurboDuo region modded
2 TurboDuo pads, 3 Coregrafx pads
1 Clone PCE 5 player multitap (looks like the official one)
1 Macintosh cable used as extension from console to multitap
Bomberman 94
4 friends

Worked flawlessly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:27:06 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

SmokeMonster

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
Here's my setup:
US TurboGrafx-16 -> DIN-8 Extension -> TurboTap -> TG16 pads

It acts like the up button is stuck in '94 & '93, and in 'Bomberman' the run button is randomly triggered on player 2's controller. The TurboEverdrive's GUI works perfectly though.

poponon

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
If you have a spare cable (from that 3 player tap or a controller), you can swap cables with the tap and skip building/buying the converter cable.  The controller cables aren't simple plug and play, though, as you have to reorder a couple pins.

Seems like the most straight forward way to do it, though I think i'm going to try making an adapter before butchering the 3 player tap