Author Topic: Last Alert - Hardcore Gaming 101  (Read 1011 times)

Gentlegamer

Last Alert - Hardcore Gaming 101
« on: February 18, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »
Capitalizing on the success of Commando and Ikari Warriors along with countless popular action films of the time, the late eighties saw a massive explosion of overhead action games where the player controls a lone warrior out to destroy an entire advanced army. Some of these imitators like Data East's Heavy Barrel and Bloody Wolf were fairly successful and are fondly remembered today. Last Alert, however, was neither.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lastalert/lastalert.htm

http://audioatrocities.com/games/lastalert/index.html

I was playing my totally unauthorized burned copy of Last Alert a few weeks ago because I'm too sting-ee to pay ebay prices for a real one. The English voices are hilariously bad, but I think it's a pretty good run and gun shooter, I especially like the ability to strafe.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:10:30 PM by Gentlegamer »

lukester

Re: Last Alert - Hardcore Gaming 101
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
Runinruder is gonna be pissed. :)

I've never played Last Alert, though I am a big fan of Bloody Wolf.

Desh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
At least they didn't totally bash the game.  It's a good thing because I was ready to start unloading hate e-mail on them.  The terrible voice acting is one of Last Alert ' s charms.  I certainly don't think the game was going for a completely serious approach.  Maybe it's because I love the run n gun genre but, this is one of my personal favorite games on the Turbo.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:22:56 PM »
Last Alert is a decent game. Most sensible folks agree (OK, that is debatable). It was far better than Fighting Street, Final Zone II, and (for some folks) even VALIS II.

So, in the beginning of the TG-CD, Last Alert was one of the stronger titles. When I got TG-CD, there were only a handful of titles.

It was very easy, IMHO, so I always faulted it for not having a harder mode—was there one? I don't remember it having one. BUT AT LEAST IT WAS LONGER THAN the short Valis II and Final Zone II...the world of Last Alert seemed truly varied and expansive...there were different types of missions, with different objectives....

IT WASN'T MERELY AN HOMAGE TO RAMBO, but JAMES BOND as well, which I thought was a great combo (Guy Kazama in a white suit, classy as hell, on the Cruise Ship!)

I am too tired to list all the little touches that make it warm my heart...

BUT AT THE VERY END IF THE GAME, our hero yells out "Indra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as the platform he is on flies upward...this was such a nice touch. CORRECTION: Paranoia_Dragon pointed out that Guy Kazama actually yells out the much better line, "HERE I COME!!!!!!!"

I absolutely love the ENDING MUSIC (with the harsh SFX crashing in)...it perfectly fits the mood and it just kicks my arse.

I really love that damn song, even though the garish "SFX percussion" could have ruined it instead of giving it unique charm. Yes, it has a heavy-handed grace and charm.

UPDATE: http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Last_Alert/17-Ending_Credis.mp3
(you have to wait until 47 seconds for the charming part to begin! Don't judge the song without giving it at least 90 seconds, you heathens!)

BONUS: I know I am a total dork, but at random moments, a few times a month, I'll say to myself: "By the way, Mr. Garcia, how is your work on the ultimate weapon, Indra, coming along?"

See? Very James Bond with ultimate weapons and the SPACE SHUTLE (Octopussy!) and I just love how the earthbound battle transitions into space (little touches like that add so much charm!)...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:23:14 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
BUT AT THE VERY END IF THE GAME, our hero yells out "Indra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as the platform he is on flies upward...this was such a nice touch.

Actually, he yells "HERE I COME!".  I think I have it somewhere on my computer, pretty sure I recorded the adpcm of him yelling.

In any case, Last Alert is still one of my all time favorite games.  Yes, it's not perfect, but it's damn fun.  I love the leveling up system, & the music is cool, though, some of it is more on the subpar scale of Telenet tunes.  Still, one of my favorites EVER!  If we did a sequal, we should call it Next Alert, of First Alert, or Previous Alert!

seieienbu

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »
I always liked Last Alert.  I found it way more fun to play than, say, Bloody Wolf or similar games due to the ability to move in multiple directions and backtrack if need be.

I found the soundtrack fantastic and I used to occasionally just give it a listen on its own.  I think I'll go do that right now, in fact...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »
I always liked Last Alert.  I found it way more fun to play than, say, Bloody Wolf or similar games due to the ability to move in multiple directions and backtrack if need be.

I found the soundtrack fantastic and I used to occasionally just give it a listen on its own.  I think I'll go do that right now, in fact...

I love you, but Bloody Wolf wants an apology, now! :)

BUT AT THE VERY END IF THE GAME, our hero yells out "Indra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as the platform he is on flies upward...this was such a nice touch.

Actually, he yells "HERE I COME!".  I think I have it somewhere on my computer, pretty sure I recorded the adpcm of him yelling.

In any case, Last Alert is still one of my all time favorite games.  Yes, it's not perfect, but it's damn fun.  I love the leveling up system, & the music is cool, though, some of it is more on the subpar scale of Telenet tunes.  Still, one of my favorites EVER!  If we did a sequal, we should call it Next Alert, of First Alert, or Previous Alert!

Yes! Thank you for correcting that! "HERE I COME!" is a much better line.

I also might not be accurate with the line of dialogue ("...Mr. Garcia..."), but I've been saying it wrong for so many years...

I'll have to post a link to the song I love or else nobody will know what I am referring to:
http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Last_Alert/17-Ending_Credits.mp3
(you have to wait until 47 seconds for the charming part to begin! Don't judge the song without giving it at least 90 seconds, you heathens!)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:18:15 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

seieienbu

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
I'm sorry, Bloody Wolf.  I'm not saying that I dislike you, Bloody Wolf.  I'm only saying that, in my heart, I know that I love Last Alert more.  You're a good game, Bloody Wolf!  It's not you, it's me!  I just...I just need the extra dimensions you're allowed to scroll in Last Alert for my run-and-gun game enjoyment!  It's not your fault, and I hope we can still be friends.  Feel free to call if you ever want to talk.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »
I'm sorry, Bloody Wolf.  I'm not saying that I dislike you, Bloody Wolf.  I'm only saying that, in my heart, I know that I love Last Alert more.  You're a good game, Bloody Wolf!  It's not you, it's me!  I just...I just need the extra dimensions you're allowed to scroll in Last Alert for my run-and-gun game enjoyment!  It's not your fault, and I hope we can still be friends.  Feel free to call if you ever want to talk.

Hahahahahshashs.

Anyway, you are correct about the fluidity of Last Alert (spray bullets 359 degrees, strafing) vs. the stiffness and slowdown of Bloody Wolf.

So, your original comment is solid and STANDS. :)

Folks, how could we not mention the little POOLS OF BLOOD our foes collapse in?!

Bloody Wold has blood, too, but the cute little goofballs in Last Alert spin and then are engulfed in blood. CUTE LITTLE DETAIL.

If only our foes did PIROUETTES before collapsing into a lake of their own blood.

http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Last_Alert/17-Ending_Credis.mp3
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:19:03 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:11:49 AM »
For once I agree with 'em.  It's overall a fairly good game but it's not without flaws.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

seieienbu

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:20:34 AM »
Yeah, the boss music in this game's fantastic.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:00:06 AM »
I have the Japanese Version of this Game.  I have no idea what is going on but I am up to the Space Ship part.  I gotta beat it one of these days.

It ain't no bloody wolf I'll you that.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:26 AM »
You can backtrack and scroll in any direction in sections of Bloody Wolf. The main game has a lot of variety, in gameplay and musc, especially compared to Last/Red Alert. The bonus modes only further  add to the extra dimensions of gameplay.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

jordan_hillman

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 07:49:08 AM »
As far as difficulty goes, I agree with Esteban on this one. It's a fun game that I enjoy the hell out of, but it's a bit too easy (I beat it on my first play though with out too many issues).

A difficulty setting would have gone a long way, but the mission variety, top-notch voice acting  :^o , and kick ass soundtrack always bring me back for a play through  :D
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

esteban

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
You can backtrack and scroll in any direction in sections of Bloody Wolf. The main game has a lot of variety, in gameplay and musc, especially compared to Last/Red Alert. The bonus modes only further  add to the extra dimensions of gameplay.

But do you get to where a white tuxedo in Bloody Wolf?

NOPE.

Game. Over.

AND FOR THE RECORD, Bloody Wolf is awesome. IT PROVIDES MORE FUN because it isn't a cakewalk like Last Alert.

Both games have layers...so that's kool.
  |    |