Author Topic: Last Alert - Hardcore Gaming 101  (Read 998 times)

esteban

Re: Last Alert - Hardcore Gaming 101
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:31 AM »
FOR THE RECORD: I have not read the review of Last Alert at Hardcore Gaming 101.

I suppose I will, at some point, when this thread shrivels up and needs sustenance.
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:14 AM »
Bloody Wolf is plagued with slowdown, making it unplayable, and demonstrates the weakness of the TG-16 CPU.

post brought to you by Sega-16

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:03:01 AM »
Don't get me wrong about my love for Last Alert, because, Bloody Wolf is also one of my top favorite games of all time.  Also, I might add that one of the things I love about Bloody Wolf, (besides the music & gameplay in general) is all the extra levels!  When porting to the Turbo, they doubled the size of the game.  What is there, like 5 stages in the arcade version, but 10 I think in the Turbo version?  Yes, it's only 1 player compared to the Arcade version, but, I still enjoy this way more, & appreciate what they did adding all those levels to include the other character.  Also, thinking about the music, the Turbo version blows away the Arcade version IIRC.  I don't even think the Arcade version has the same tunes.

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »
Arcade Bloody Wolf also runs at 30fps. :/
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gentlegamer

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 09:36:48 AM »
I've only seen a video of coin-op Bloody Wolf, but I think the "uhh" death scream of enemies would be irritating for more than a few minutes.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:55:57 AM by Gentlegamer »

NightWolve

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
Yeah, I like this HG101 review, I think it's pretty fair. It's, uh, missing something though: Gameological Society's tribute to Last Alert! So, I'm trying to get Kurt to add it to Links section of the review. He only has one external link there now to Audio Atrocities.

https://twitter.com/HG_101/status/567371425129181184

Would be a shame for that not to be included. :) It's the best thing Gameological Society ever did to my knowledge! I had subscribed to their channel after seeing it, but I never really saw anything else as amusing like that again... :/

The key point about the horrible dubbing work in Last Alert is that it's laughably bad, and not just plain bad. Because of the lulz-factor, the game garnered fame (or infamy) it otherwise wouldn't have and this ensures it will be mentioned/cherished for future generations to come, a good thing!! :P Bad dubbing work like in Dragon Slayer or other games just makes for a forgettable game, but Last Alert delivers lulz adding some replay value! Heh-heh. Not to mention, it is a fun action game with good music. My favorite track is of course this:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
I want a sequel to this awesome game. Same voice actors if they haven't all died from meth use. It would be called Last Alert: The Final Chapter. Then part 3 would be called Last Alert: Resurrection. And with part 4 we'd get No More Alerts: Doomsday.

esteban

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
Yeah, I like this HG101 review, I think it's pretty fair. It's, uh, missing something though: Gameological Society's tribute to Last Alert! So, I'm trying to get Kurt to add it to Links section of the review. He only has one external link there now to Audio Atrocities.

https://twitter.com/HG_101/status/567371425129181184

Would be a shame for that not to be included. :) It's the best thing Gameological Society ever did to my knowledge! I had subscribed to their channel after seeing it, but I never really saw anything else as amusing like that again... :/

The key point about the horrible dubbing work in Last Alert is that it's laughably bad, and not just plain bad. Because of the lulz-factor, the game garnered fame (or infamy) it otherwise wouldn't have and this ensures it will be mentioned/cherished for future generations to come, a good thing!! :P Bad dubbing work like in Dragon Slayer or other games just makes for a forgettable game, but Last Alert delivers lulz adding some replay value! Heh-heh. Not to mention, it is a fun action game with good music. My favorite track is of course this:

Owe.

Emmm.

Geee!

I totally forgot about the "Great Performances" video! EXCELLENT.

And, I totally agree about Stage 2-2 theme...such a great tune :) 
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
I want a sequel to this awesome game. Same voice actors if they haven't all died from meth use. It would be called Last Alert: The Final Chapter. Then part 3 would be called Last Alert: Resurrection. And with part 4 we'd get No More Alerts: Doomsday.
Part 5 - Penultimate Alert

technozombie

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
It makes a lot more sense that Guy looks just like Kenshiro, now that I know it was voiced by the same guy.

esteban

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »

It makes a lot more sense that Guy looks just like Kenshiro, now that I know it was voiced by the same guy.

Linky for the lazy and stoopid :)

Kenshiro? Like Barbie-San and Kenshiro?
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »

Ahem. You know, the first link in the thread...

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lastalert/lastalert.htm

Even if one is unfamiliar with the actors at a glance, almost everyone has heard of their work. Most notable is Akira Kamiya. Yes, Kenshiro himself is the voice of Guy Kazama.

seieienbu

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »

.....I would play these games.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

spenoza

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 04:43:17 AM »
Makes me want to do two fan re-dubs of Last Alert. The first one would attempt to make the voice acting not suck and actually be good. The second would be to see if the voice acting and dialogue could be made even more crazy and suck-tastic (in an entertaining way).
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

technozombie

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 04:55:52 AM »

I could probably find a better comparison but I'm in a hurry at the time of posting. Kenshiro is the "Fist of the Northstar"