Author Topic: The Video Game Critic reviews Aetherbyte's Insanity  (Read 1265 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: The Video Game Critic reviews Aetherbyte's Insanity
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 04:28:10 AM »
If there were no scores, would any of you have a problem with his capsule reviews?

Of course I would.  The letter grades aren't what makes me think that he sucks at playing, spends little time actually playing each game before writing a review, and generally doesn't know what he's talking about.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »

If there were no scores, would any of you have a problem with his capsule reviews?

I have a problem with his writing...they don't even qualify as a "capsule first impression" ...

The letter grade is just adding insult to injury.

His brief "blurbs" are like 99.99% of the CRAPPAGGIO that exists (written or otherwise): no depth.

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
The letter grades would at least make the reviews a little less non-sensical.

My game got a better score than Keith Courage.   I'm still trying to wrap my ahead around that.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

InfraMan

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
The letter grades would at least make the reviews a little less non-sensical.

My game got a better score than Keith Courage. I'm still trying to wrap my ahead around that.

I would rather play Insanity than Keith Courage, so there's that. 8)

ApolloBoy

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 06:11:15 AM »
Wait wait, Valis III is at the bottom end of the PCE library?

huuuh
This is the same guy who gave Metal Storm on the NES an "F" so he can shove it for all I care.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

A Black Falcon

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:08 AM »
How are the two any different, though?  They really are just two ways of saying the same thing.

I mean, in the US at least, an F = 0-59, a D is 60-69, a C is 70-79, a B is 80-89, and an A is 90+.  Just turn those number scores into the equivalent letter grade and presto, you have a letter grade like he uses, while still using the standard 6-10 grading scale you usually see.

It isn't the same because the grade distribution is on a curve, meaning there are roughly the same number of Fs as As, Ds and Bs, centered around C as average. If you look at the reviews for each system, this is roughly the case. The 7-10 grade scale means 7 is a C, anything below that is essentially F for failed, and is very rarely given.

It means a game that isn't broken and has decent production values will get no lower than 7 or C, turning the review into a mere consumer reports product review. That's not what The Critic does. He uses the whole scale, kind of like Tom Chick, who gave Halo 4 1 out of 5 stars for being boring, http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/11/04/halo-4-is-half-the-game-it-should-be/

Are you saying the Video Game Critic uses a scale for his reviews?  If he does, I don't like that either.  Design your review system so that 7/C is average, yes, but don't actually scale reviews based on trying to portion out scores evenly, I don't think that's right!  Scores should be based on performance, and how other games (or people, for school) did shouldn't matter.  If the average isn't average, that's not something you should often fix by scaling the scores afterwards.

Also, it's not 7-10, it's 6-10.  A 6 is a below average but passing score.

And yes, this is how I think of scores; if I see number scores I think of them in terms of the equivalent letter grade that number represents, and vice versa for letter grades.  I don't like the "50% is average" system for this reason -- when I see a score under 60, I think 'that's a failing grade'.
Then that's your problem for not appreciating how a grade curve works.

I take it none of you here attended law school. It's brutal to do very well, and get a C or D because of the curve.

I have a masters', but no, grades were not scaled.  As I said I don't like that idea, either.

Wait wait, Valis III is at the bottom end of the PCE library?

huuuh

This is the same guy who gave Metal Storm on the NES an "F" so he can shove it for all I care.

That would certainly be one of those completely, totally wrong reviews of his, yes.  That game's one of the better games on the NES.

Ayce

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 12:51:14 AM »
This is a game that I'm actually wanting to buy when I get some extra cash.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:52:45 AM by Ayce »

Lochlan

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
A good article on the topic of review scores: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/how_good_exactly_is_perfect/
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

Bernie

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »
Insanity is a damn good game for what it is.  A Homebrew that went from paper to press in a year.  Its a fun little game to pass time, hell I even got it for the Xbox 360.  Its not meant to compete, never was.  I seriously doubt that was ever Arks intent.  For a first time Homebrew, id say its freaking awesome.  Way better than other homebrews I've seen...from more experienced devs...   Thats my 2 cents.

Not brought to you by tapatalk.

Punch

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »
A good article on the topic of review scores: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/how_good_exactly_is_perfect/

This guy makes some good points in his article and in his "Deus Ex only RPG" one but he's a megalomaniac, and even scammer if I recall correctly. His forums require $$$ to post on (kinda like a mini Something Awful), but 90% of the posts in there are like the ending dialog of Osman. A total weirdo.

Rants aside, I think it's impossible to do reviews without pissing someone off, but that's different than making gross mistakes and showing that you only played a game for half an hour and couldn't care less. A grade/rank system can only have be a negative factor in a review if the review itself is crap.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:41:31 PM by Punch »

roflmao

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
Insanity is a damn good game for what it is.  A Homebrew that went from paper to press in a year.  Its a fun little game to pass time, hell I even got it for the Xbox 360.  Its not meant to compete, never was.  I seriously doubt that was ever Arks intent.  For a first time Homebrew, id say its freaking awesome.  Way better than other homebrews I've seen...from more experienced devs...   Thats my 2 cents.

Not brought to you by tapatalk.

+1

esteban

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »

I read some of this. I will have to read the whole thing tomorrow.
  |    |