Author Topic: Nice to meet you all  (Read 576 times)

SkyeWelse

Nice to meet you all
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:21:58 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I've been here for a few weeks now and so far I think it's a great community. I see a lot of love for the TurboGrafx/PC-Engine and it feels like it is constantly active with many members and projects, and it seems that many of the members here have known each other for years. It reminds me quite a bit of the forum community Ancient Land of Ys where I hail from, as well as the MSX Resource Center.

I used to be pretty heavily active in playing through many PC-Engine CD titles many years ago when Magic Engine was first released and being actively developed, and I was playing just about anything and everything I could get my hands on using that and something called MednafenX for the original Xbox which worked really well! Since I’m getting back into PC-Engine again after acquiring real hardware a few years back, this place really does have a wealth of information that is great for me to catch up on and read about. I’m also pretty excited to learn about new fan-translation projects such as Emerald Dragon, AnEarth, and all new PCE games such as Mysterious Song (which sadly I purchased but not have played through yet, for shame I know... Sorry Paranoia Dragon, and now a really cool Mega Man port with remixed music, Jungle Bros, and Aetherbyte’s Atlantean HuCard game. (Also I know Atherbyte through their MSX releases as well, so it’s cool to see they are still actively developing games).

It’s really all quite amazing and I love seeing new projects come about for classic hardware. It’s part of the reason that keeps me so interested in the MSX community, since there’s always new hardware and games, even entirely new machines being released for something that is considered to be a “dead system”. It’s wonderful because it shows that it continues to live strong even today.

Also I asked a friend “So what does “Obey” mean at the PCEFX community? And he replied with the following URL: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/obey/obeypce.htm <== This is true gold right here I must say. I dare say that I may too be tempted to create a few Photoshop additions to this if you’ll have them  as I eat this stuff up, for breakfast, with crushed up SNES cartridges for a good source of Fiber. ;)

Here is my TurboGrafx / PC-Engine / Turbo-Duo Collection:

Larger Pic

If you are interested in reading, I’ll tell you about myself a bit. I’ve been an avid gamer and collector for most of my life and I’m into many genres and systems, both new and old, though the PC-Engine TurboDuo is definitely one of my favorite systems, especially the CD-Rom games. I’m pretty huge into Falcom and Microcabin games such as Ys and Xak, and many others, though my all-time favorite series is and will likely always be Panzer Dragoon.

I’m really into graphic design, website design and animation as well as making 3D models, although I haven’t had as much time for the latter two after college. I’ve run a few websites over the years, Suikocastle.net, (now gone) MiraiGamer.net (also now gone), Cavestory.org (was the original creator of the tribute site back when the fan-translation by AGTP was first released and later passed the torch) and I also made a fansite for the Xak series, which really has a pretty bad design and could stand a facelift one of these days. I’m a HUGE fan of the Xak series and I got into that series through Nightwolve’s very own Xak III English translation. I guess you might say that Nightwolve created a bit of a monster here with that patch… haha.

I still hope to see the first two Xak games (Xak I&II) for PCE get a translation one day as well as Fray CD. It really is an incredible series and on Par with a few of the old school Ys games too in my opinion. (Watch out Adol… Latok Kart doesn’t mess around! He can lawn mow and stab with a sword with the best of them…)

Here’s my Xak collection if anyone is interested:

Larger Pic

Nowadays, I mainly run 3 websites, which are not very active yet, retro-type.com which is/was intended to be a gaming blog, which never quite got off the ground due to lack of time/interest on my part. shantae.net which was another Tribute Fansite that I created during the Shantae Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter about a year ago. I’m big Shantae fan, it’s an incredible platforming series for sure and extremely enjoyable to play.

And along with a local MSX friend and collector, I run a startup MSX site called USAMSX that was intended to be kind of an entryway/gateway site for Americans to utilize should they ever want to get into the MSX hobby with real hardware and for U.S. based MSX fans to have something to connect with, but unfortunately it hasn’t gotten too far in development either, but hey! At least we manage to do some kickass exhibits of our MSX machines at the Vintage Computer Fair Southeast. Last year we had 24 machines! That’s probably the largest MSX exhibit in America ever! We even had both of the American-only released MSX machines there as well.

Currently also working on a port and remix of Fix It Felix, Jr for the MSX with the same friend.
Here is our title screen so far:

More currently I’m assisting a Romhacking team for the translation of a Falcom PSP title called Nayuta no Kiseki which is pretty much all ready to go now aside from a few script corrections and errors that I’m discovering and fixing as I play through it. I mainly helped on that project with editing the original Japanese graphics, which I have to say was quite a challenge due to how many hoops you have to go through to get graphics to work correctly… Anyhow it’s a fun game if you enjoy the Ys Oath in Felghana, Ys Ark of Napistim, and Ys Origin’s gameplay style that had some fast paced action and tons of Jumping/Platforming, then this is definitely another great one to add to the list. The newer Ys games, while still good, are missing that jumping/platforming action that I feel really needs to be there.

Anyhow, it’s nice to meet all of you and I guess I better start reading through some threads!

-Thomas
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:30:06 AM by SkyeWelse »

NightWolve

Re: Nice to meet you all
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:43:45 AM »
Wow, best introduction post I've ever seen... ;)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »
Welcome aboard!

I'll PM you my address so you know where to mail those Ys figurines.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:56 AM »
Amazing introduction!  Welcome.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:45 AM »
that is a nice collection and most def. the best intro i've seen as well. welcome aboard!!

xelement5x

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
Wow, that's a phenomenal Falcom collection. I actually have that Popful Mail model as well (unassembled), but I've never seen the coaster before, very cool!  Where'd you find that?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

esteban

Nice to meet you all
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
SkyWelse, I seem to remember you posting under the same name at NightWolve's forums, years and years ago? Or was it the gamengai forums?

Anyway, welcome, comrade.

Also...

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:04:39 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
SkyWelse, I seem to remember you posting under the same name at NightWolve's forums, years and years ago?

Yep, one in the same. He's been around for ages. Helped with images for the Felghana project and voiced Lefance for Ys IV too.

SkyeWelse

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

@Necromancer, how about for the time being I send you this instead! :)

Necromancer - One of the coolest boss fight music tracks from Xak I. Though I'm not entirely sure it even exists in the PCE-Remake. I tried to find it.

@xelement5x, thanks! That coaster set I actually got from a friend who goes by the name GameMusicFreak on various forums. He's a cool guy and I bought some things from him a few years ago that he was selling and he just threw those in as well.

This is what the package for that looks like if you are interested. Click

For the record I also haven't assembled and painted that Mail figure either, mainly because if I do I know I want to make sure to do a good job on it and not mess up. I haven't painted a model since I was ten...

@esteban, yep, that's me over at Nightwolve's forums and Plight of the Fan Translator before that. I think I remember you there as well. Never been to Gamengai forums before though.

@Nightwolve, wasn't that just for one small little graphic though? I can't remember. And my part for Lefance will surely put everyone to sleep! To be fair though, Lefance does have some pretty boring dialog...haha

-Thomas
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:44:27 PM by SkyeWelse »

Dicer

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
Quite the intro, welcome to the fold...

blueraven

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Greetings, and welcome aboard.

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

cjameslv

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:32:28 AM »
Great intro post. Nice to see instead of a post in a raffle or wts. Welcome to the obey side!

xelement5x

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:52:20 AM »
Thanks for the info! ファルキャラ will be on my watch list for stuff now.  I'm guessing it's a portmanteau of Falcom and Character.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 03:18:34 AM »
Also I asked a friend “So what does “Obey” mean at the PCEFX community? And he replied with the following URL: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/obey/obeypce.htm <== This is true gold right here I must say. I dare say that I may too be tempted to create a few Photoshop additions to this if you’ll have them  as I eat this stuff up, for breakfast, with crushed up SNES cartridges for a good source of Fiber. ;)

Please do.  Quality lulz are always welcome.

More currently I’m assisting a Romhacking team for the translation of a Falcom PSP title called Nayuta no Kiseki which is pretty much all ready to go now aside from a few script corrections and errors that I’m discovering and fixing as I play through it.

Please keep us (me) updated on this one.  It looks pretty sweet.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SkyeWelse

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 07:05:48 AM »
Thank you for your comments Dicer, blueraven, and cjamesslv.

Thanks for the info! ファルキャラ will be on my watch list for stuff now.  I'm guessing it's a portmanteau of Falcom and Character.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that are just making their own word there for a combination of Falcom and Character. You might stand a better search by simply typing ファルコム  コースター or Falcom Coaster, though you could do some variation of ファルコム Falcom -ファルキャラ  Falchara トレーヂングコースター Trading Coaster.

Good luck. Yahoo auctions is probably where they would likely show up.

Please do.  Quality lulz are always welcome.

More currently I’m assisting a Romhacking team for the translation of a Falcom PSP title called Nayuta no Kiseki which is pretty much all ready to go now aside from a few script corrections and errors that I’m discovering and fixing as I play through it.

Please keep us (me) updated on this one.  It looks pretty sweet.

Sure, only where is the best place to drop a "quality Obey lulz"? Is there a specified place for those submissions? Seems like this thread is the place from what I can tell:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6927.0

Sure, I'd be happy to let you all know when we finally get to a "finished" spot with the Nayuta patch. I mean it's ready to go now, but with some extra adjustments it can be a better experience overall. It still could really use a translation checker and a more localized script, but I'm essentially looking for any script / opcode errors I see or dialogue that just doesn't make sense, so once I've completed the game, I'd say we'd be done with the patch for awhile. I wish I could get the Boss names/Area Introduction names changed into English as well, but that would involve converting a specific Falcom format for .IT3 files and .ITV files, which we've not been able to figure out yet. All other graphics are fully in English now though.

-Thomas