Author Topic: Happy OBEY Day  (Read 860 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Happy OBEY Day
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »
Have you rekindled the game boy fire since?

Not really.  I messed around with emulators when I was in college (I had a laptop with me but no 'real' game hardware), replaying many of the games I owned back in the day, but that's about it.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

johnnykonami

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
XMAS 1989.

Yeah, ditto.  Don't have the TG-16 since 1992 though, upgraded to a Duo (which I still have.)

esteban

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »
XMAS 1989.

Yeah, ditto.  Don't have the TG-16 since 1992 though, upgraded to a Duo (which I still have.)

My brother still has the original TG-16...I went out and bought another TG-16 cheap... :)

|    | 

esteban

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »

I hoard them until the time is right to sell.

Ab.
So. 
Lutely.
  |    | 

wyndcrosser

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
My Obey say was when I wanted to play soldier blade on a near console. I couldn't justify paying $450 (well I couldn't justify to my wife) for a Turbo Duo. I found a Duo PC-Engine that was "Broken". After about three weeks I finally got it and really the only thing wrong was a dirty lens and loss connections which were de-soldered and then reattached. The machine is still working today (it's been 3 years).

johnnykonami

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
XMAS 1989.

My brother still has the original TG-16...I went out and bought another TG-16 cheap... :)

Nice!

I hoard them until the time is right to sell.

I know there's usually a humorous tone to your posts, Nullity, but hey, if there were ever a time to sell off extras, it would definitely be now!  Newcomers look at the system like it was some kind of unheard of gem.  People seem to be paying premiums for the systems.  I'm not complaining (other than prices rising, but I've had 20 years to collect seriously and only did so much), the praise is certainly overdue.  When it was out originally, and I was in middle/high school, I remember that it was treated more like the red-headed step child compared to the SNES and the Genesis.  I had never thought it to be inferior in the least, but I wasn't able to convince anyone easily until about the time Dracula X came out.  My friends usually made it out like I had made the wrong choice, but I always thoroughly enjoyed playing all the stuff you couldn't get on any other console.  Never had my doubts once.  The side benefit was getting to play SNES and Genesis as well, through my friends, so I had the best of all worlds.

Anyway, I say sell sell sell!

... Just kidding, I would personally keep everything I had as backups in case the unthinkable happens to one of your consoles!

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »

In 1990, I walked in to a Japanese toy store by the name of Pony Toy Go Round in little Tokyo in Los Angeles. I used to get my Dragon Ball toys and cards there (mostly cards, cheapish). They sold video games and I occasionally bought clearance bin fami-carts and I had befriended the the flamboyant gaysian clerk that worked there at the time. He was playing the PC Engine on one of his TVs. I asked him what game was playing, to which he replied "In Japen, this game is called EESU". It had been the intro to Ys II - It blew my mind. I couldn't comprehend the CD graphics, the music. Anything. It was just surreal. I later discovered that the game had been released for the TG-CD. I had made it my mission to own one of these.

The day was Saturday, May 11th, 1991. I was 12 years old. Two days after my birthday, I had bought a used TG16 system that came with Kieth Courage in Alpha Zones and the box was beat up all to shit. My dad had given me 50 dollars for my birthday like he does every year because it was easier then to try and figure out what I wanted, I also had some bucks in a tootsie-roll bank and begged my mother for 20 bucks (my parents were divorced and we were poor, I lived with my old lady). She finally caved and said it was part of my birthday money. My good pal Alex had his dad drive us out to Game Dude (we had no car) where I would buy the system for like 70-something bucks used, I think I had like 1 or 2 bucks left afterward. My friend had some bucks and he bought a used copy of Vigilante. Both games were rather shitty and not a whole lot of excitement, I'd let my dad know that I really wanted the CD add-on if he was thinking about getting me ANYTHING for Christmas. Ironically, he had investigated what was gonna be hot and bought me a Super Nintendo for Christmas, I was very happy but I still really wanted the TG-CD. The next year, I would get closer to my dream of owning the TurboGrafx 16 CD-Rom System. My friends dad who took us to the game store managed to haggle the long-haired clerk at Japan Video Games for a used TG-CD down to 125 (I only had 100 dollars on me, my friend paid the rest of it) and they threw in a copy of Ys Book I&II because at the time it was "a cheap game" according to the worker there (what ridiculous price does this go for now?). We went home, hooked it all up. And popped in Ys and the rest was gaming history.... An amazing soundtrack that blew my mind, visuals and characters that would burn into my mind for years to come are all the things that make me Obey to this day.

:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

TR0N

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 07:48:53 PM »

In 1990, I walked in to a Japanese toy store by the name of Pony Toy Go Round in little Tokyo in Los Angeles. I used to get my Dragon Ball toys and cards there (mostly cards, cheapish). They sold video games and I occasionally bought clearance bin fami-carts and I had befriended the the flamboyant gaysian clerk that worked there at the time. He was playing the PC Engine on one of his TVs. I asked him what game was playing, to which he replied "In Japen, this game is called EESU". It had been the intro to Ys II - It blew my mind. I couldn't comprehend the CD graphics, the music. Anything. It was just surreal. I later discovered that the game had been released for the TG-CD. I had made it my mission to own one of these.

The day was Saturday, May 11th, 1991. I was 12 years old. Two days after my birthday, I had bought a used TG16 system that came with Kieth Courage in Alpha Zones and the box was beat up all to shit. My dad had given me 50 dollars for my birthday like he does every year because it was easier then to try and figure out what I wanted, I also had some bucks in a tootsie-roll bank and begged my mother for 20 bucks (my parents were divorced and we were poor, I lived with my old lady). She finally caved and said it was part of my birthday money. My good pal Alex had his dad drive us out to Game Dude (we had no car) where I would buy the system for like 70-something bucks used, I think I had like 1 or 2 bucks left afterward. My friend had some bucks and he bought a used copy of Vigilante. Both games were rather shitty and not a whole lot of excitement, I'd let my dad know that I really wanted the CD add-on if he was thinking about getting me ANYTHING for Christmas. Ironically, he had investigated what was gonna be hot and bought me a Super Nintendo for Christmas, I was very happy but I still really wanted the TG-CD. The next year, I would get closer to my dream of owning the TurboGrafx 16 CD-Rom System. My friends dad who took us to the game store managed to haggle the long-haired clerk at Japan Video Games for a used TG-CD down to 125 (I only had 100 dollars on me, my friend paid the rest of it) and they threw in a copy of Ys Book I&II because at the time it was "a cheap game" according to the worker there (what ridiculous price does this go for now?). We went home, hooked it all up. And popped in Ys and the rest was gaming history.... An amazing soundtrack that blew my mind, visuals and characters that would burn into my mind for years to come are all the things that make me Obey to this day.

Haaa feena is a wee bit tipsy !?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 02:45:12 AM »
You should be ashamed of that sacrilege!

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
XMAS 1989.

You should change your name to johnnyturbo. 8)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 05:14:13 AM »
BLASPHEMOUS.

But good story. :)
  |    | 

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 05:44:51 AM »
You should be ashamed of that sacrilege!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 06:18:44 AM »
You are a horrible person.  :lol:

johnnykonami

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
XMAS 1989.

You should change your name to johnnyturbo. 8)

Hey, I had grown a beard pretty early on in school, and loved all things Turbo, so my friends teased me by calling me that all the time.  Only problem was I rather enjoyed Feka CD as well!  I still have one of the advertisment comics around here somewhere (torn out from some EGM or Gamepro).

Also, to appease one of my old buddies, my Battle.net name is JohnnyTurbo#1933.  Anyone here is free to add me there if you like, just let me know that you obey when you do.  I pretty much only play Hearthstone, though.

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »
You are a horrible person.  :lol:

I heart you too